Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iron Gwazi (General Discussion)

Damn...

Some of those head choppers are scary as hell.

Would love to know exactly where this occurred. If they declined medical treatment I can't imagine it was somewhere during the main ride.

It was during the wave turn over the station. The cuts were made sometime around the 16th or 17th of Feb.

Here’s a quick comparison pic from POVs:
(EDIT: found better pictures on Reddit)

Before:
IG_Before.png

After:
IG_Beams.png

Last edited:
Weird it was so long from the bottom of the ramp when the end of the switchbacks at the load platform was about 30 during previews. Capacity definitely worried me during that time though. They rarely hit the recommended load time.

I also think the lack of a midcourse break with the shorter length of the course doesn't make it worth it. I don't know about you but I don't want to be stacked in a block section on a final break run in the Florida summer heat

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but how’s the uptime for this? I’m planning on finally making the trek over to Tampa in the next month. Given the…um, state of things, I’m not too privy to driving that distance more than once every few months. So it goes without saying it would be a bummer for it to be closed for whole days on end. I know that’s usually what happens with a new ride but I just wanted to check.

Sorry to double post, but how’s the uptime for this? I’m planning on finally making the trek over to Tampa in the next month. Given the…um, state of things, I’m not too privy to driving that distance more than once every few months. So it goes without saying it would be a bummer for it to be closed for whole days on end. I know that’s usually what happens with a new ride but I just wanted to check.
I've yet to see it be closed for an entire day, downtime has been resolved pretty quickly

FYI this didn’t fall as a double post

After almost four years of waiting I finally rode this beast today (3x). Yeah, it's just about what I hoped for. The first and last drops, the overbank, and the twist-n-shout are all bangers. The pouches under the seats actually one-up Velocicoaster's ingenious locker system. The ops were all very clearly into their jobs.

Only downside, as mentioned, were the wasps on the lift hill, though at least I only noticed them my last ride. Well, that and the fact that the near misses with the structure made me too scared to keep my hands up, keeping my from getting the most airtime I could! :lmao:

Other random observations from my visit today:
-Zambia may not be the BEST barbecue I've ever had but still quite good and the portions are very generous.
-Montu and Kumba running only one train. I don't expect VC-level ops but it would be nice if their finances eventually allow for two.
-How did I not know about that lion exhibit? That was so cool--a truck with the separating glass in the bed. One of them was laying in the bed, the other two against the glass despite having plenty of space.
-I'm reminded of why I'm sad that Uni is abandoning lift hills. Hearing the motor wind while in line, it stopping and hearing the subsequent roar of the train never ceased to give me chills.
-Montu still kicks. I know B&Ms outside of hypers/gigas aren't exactly beloved amongst the enthusiast community but god I love those '90s inverts--rapid-fire twisty, crispy forceful goodness.
-Again, dive coasters in particular get crapped on in "thoosie" circles but Shiekra (still) gives damn good air on those drops. The splash zone never fails to entertain.
-Kumba is a fun ride but man is it showing its age.
-I was surprised by how forceful Tigris was. The term "comfort collar" is borderline Orwellian though.
-Cheetah Hunt is definitely the crowd favorite--by far the longest waits.

Last edited:
After almost four years of waiting I finally rode this beast today (3x). Yeah, it's just about what I hoped for. The first and last drops, the overbank, and the twist-n-shout are all bangers. The pouches under the seats actually one-up Velocicoaster's ingenious locker system. The ops were all very clearly into their jobs.

Only downside, as mentioned, were the wasps on the lift hill, though at least I only noticed them my last ride. Well, that and the fact that the near misses with the structure made me too scared to keep my hands up, keeping my from getting the most airtime I could! :lmao:

Other random observations from my visit today:
-Zambia may not be the BEST barbecue I've ever had but still quite good and the portions are very generous.
-Montu and Kumba running only one train. I don't expect VC-level ops but it would be nice if their finances eventually allow for two.
-How did I not know about that lion exhibit? That was so cool--a truck with the separating glass in the bed. One of them was laying in the bed, the other two against the glass despite having plenty of space.
-I'm reminded of why I'm sad that Uni is abandoning lift hills. Hearing the motor wind while in line, it stopping and hearing the subsequent roar of the train never ceased to give me chills.
-Montu still kicks. I know B&Ms outside of hypers/gigas aren't exactly beloved amongst the enthusiast community but god I love those '90s inverts--rapid-fire twisty, forceful goodness.
-Again, dive coasters in particular get crapped on in "thoosie" circles but Shiekra (still) gives damn good air on those drops. The splash zone never fails to entertain.
-Kumba is a fun ride but man is it showing its age.
-I was surprised by how forceful Tigris was. The term "comfort collar" is borderline Orwellian though.
-Cheetah Hunt is definitely the crowd favorite--by far the longest waits.
I find Dragon Fire is the best dining location in the park

The old Serengeti restaurant appears to be shuttered unfortunately

Went recently and loved Gwazi. Anyone know when was the last time they activated the water portion on Cheetah Hunt? It adds so much to the ride experience.