Is Pokémon replacing Spider-Man at USJ? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Is Pokémon replacing Spider-Man at USJ?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s not a retheme.
TPU said at the time the plan was to reuse the Spider Man ride vehicle and retrofit it with AR glasses. Has something changed or does this not count as a retheme due to all the set pieces in the attraction being removed?
Saw some speculation that Backdraft might be more Minions, potentially a clone of Minion Con (SF area is right next to Minion Park) I think still just guessing at this point though.
If that's case Backdraft will become VCMB, the building looks much large that what they got at USF plus they won't be sharing the space with a black box for HHN houses. They could make this a plussed version of VCMB.

What’s interesting is if you take a look at the top comments on USJ’s instagram post regarding the closure, many of them are talking about opening “more movie attractions” and less Japanese ip’s/Anime

I think some of the clientele go to the parking looking for an American style experience. So hopefully they continue to mix in American movie IP's along with the more Japanese oriented ones.

Reactions: Speed
Universal Studios Japan has announced that they will be permanently closing The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man on Monday, January 22, 2024.

Reactions: malice
What’s interesting is if you take a look at the top comments on USJ’s instagram post regarding the closure, many of them are talking about opening “more movie attractions” and less Japanese ip’s/Anime

I think some of the clientele go to the parking looking for an American style experience. So hopefully they continue to mix in American movie IP's along with the more Japanese oriented ones.

I find this striking about the state of that park too. Losing Spidey, T2, and Backdraft makes the park lean really heavy on the "animated" attractions with Nintendo, Minion Park, and Universal Wonderland.

All that's left for the live action Hollywood movies are Potter, Jurassic, WaterWorld, and Jaws. (and Jaws might not even have a lot of time left)

Fast and Furious would be a smart replacement

Last edited:

It's hard to argue for them to go for American/live action attractions when they have anime/video games events and they end up super packed to the point where some merch items are limited to one per person. (Nezuko Popcorn Buckets which sold out within the first five hours each day even limiting one per person)

• Wow
Reactions: BriefCasey
I find this striking about the state of that park too. Losing Spidey, T2, and Backdraft makes the park lean really heavy on the "animated" attractions with Nintendo, Minion Park, and Universal Wonderland.

All that's left for the live action Hollywood movies are Potter, Jurassic, WaterWorld, and Jaws. (and Jaws might not even have a lot of time left)
Honestly I’m shocked that Spider-Man went before Jaws. Jaws seems like it could go any day now.

Honestly I’m shocked that Spider-Man went before Jaws. Jaws seems like it could go any day now.

Most the reactions on Japanese Twitter I've seen to these 3 attractions closing have been incredibly disappointed understandably. If Jaws goes in a few years its gonna be even worse for the balance of USJ's attractions.

A lot of reactions are basically "USJ deepened my love of Hollywood movies but now those attractions are going away for more anime and video game IP".

Not to get off topic, but I do wonder what will replace Jaws now? I always thought it would be Pokemon. It's a pretty big plot of land. I don't think it'll be Zelda (half the park would be Nintendo at that rate), but maybe something like Universal Monsters would work?

Most the reactions on Japanese Twitter I've seen to these 3 attractions closing have been incredibly disappointed understandably. If Jaws goes in a few years its gonna be even worse for the balance of USJ's attractions.

A lot of reactions are basically "USJ deepened my love of Hollywood movies but now those attractions are going away for more anime and video game IP".
Well the influence of Hollywood movies in Japan has been declining for a while now so I can't say this isn't unrepresentative of a broader trend in Japan.

Getting a bit off topic, but as a whole American culture does not have the influence it once did for the average Japanese. The "boomer" generation of Japanese loved American and wider Anglo culture (and still does), but younger generations of Japanese seem much more captivated by domestic and other Asian cultural products, particularly Korea.
Not to get off topic, but I do wonder what will replace Jaws now? I always thought it would be Pokemon. It's a pretty big plot of land. I don't think it'll be Zelda (half the park would be Nintendo at that rate), but maybe something like Universal Monsters would work?
I've heard both Diagon Alley and Zelda rumored (just what I've read, I have no insider info).

Last edited:
FWIW, I'd look to this closure as a good indicator of possible contract talk with the mouse and other properties... (d'oh)
So when does Simpsons leave if that’s what you’re implying, or maybe it’s staying and part of the deal is to lose Spider-Man in Japan?

So when does Simpsons leave if that’s what you’re implying, or maybe it’s staying and part of the deal is to lose Spider-Man in Japan?
Based on my reading of Brian’s post - it would be the second one.

Reactions: Mike S
Well the influence of Hollywood movies in Japan has been declining for a while now so I can't say this isn't unrepresentative of a broader trend in Japan.

Getting a bit off topic, but as a whole American culture does not have the influence it once did for the average Japanese. The "boomer" generation of Japanese loved American and wider Anglo culture (and still does), but younger generations of Japanese seem much more captivated by domestic and other Asian cultural products, particularly Korea.

I've heard both Diagon Alley and Zelda rumored (just what I've read, I have no insider info).
I don’t know about Hollywood movies and it’s reception in Japan (didn’t even read the article at least yet), but in context Spider-Man’s addition and closure kinda makes sense. There was a Japanese tv show on Spider-Man which I think was pretty well known so it made sense for USJ to have a Spider-Man ride in 2004 since that was probably in the Japanese public’s mind.

I kinda feel sorry for Japan right now, with the fact that the Oriental Land Company said they wouldn’t be having Marvel rides in their Disney parks and this rides closure, now theres nowhere in Japan where one would ever get the chance to step in the world of Marvel in a theme park environment.

I kinda feel sorry for Japan right now, with the fact that the Oriental Land Company said they wouldn’t be having Marvel rides in their Disney parks and this rides closure, now theres nowhere in Japan where one would ever get the chance to step in the world of Marvel in a theme park environment.
I mean if the demand was there, wouldn’t they build a marvel theme park environment? OLC not wanting marvel seems indicative of a lack of interest in those properties from their guests.

Reactions: mccgavin