Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 551 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So besides gutting the Discovery Center what else do you guys think they should do to refresh the entire JP area ??

Agreed. Heck, Slink Dog isn't even the worst coaster at WDW. I would give Space Mountain that particular title. I would probably put Everest first, Big Thunder second, and then probably Slink Dog (just ahead of 7DMT).

For Universal, while it is way too early to tell, I'm thinking that the Jurassic Park coaster may bump the Hulk from the top of the chart. Hagrid's coaster could as well, based on how the ride experience goes. Which we are getting closer to each day.

Agreed. Heck, Slink Dog isn't even the worst coaster at WDW. I would give Space Mountain that particular title. I would probably put Everest first, Big Thunder second, and then probably Slink Dog (just ahead of 7DMT).

For Universal, while it is way too early to tell, I'm thinking that the Jurassic Park coaster may bump the Hulk from the top of the chart. Hagrid's coaster could as well, based on how the ride experience goes. Which we are getting closer to each day.

Personally I think Everest and Big Thunder are too busy being themed to be good coasters. I think they’re great “theme park rides”, but not coasters. RNRC, Slinky, and Space Mountain are the major coasters in WDW that actually *want* to be a coaster. So I’d put them as the cream of the crop when it comes to coasters in WDW

Personally I think Everest and Big Thunder are too busy being themed to be good coasters. I think they’re great “theme park rides”, but not coasters. RNRC, Slinky, and Space Mountain are the major coasters in WDW that actually *want* to be a coaster. So I’d put them as the cream of the crop when it comes to coasters in WDW

Mine train coasters are still mine train coasters. Even Space is “just” a wild mouse.

What makes a coaster great is so personally subjective it's very difficult to come to a general consensus. Especially when it comes to central Florida with the likes of highly themed coasters in WDW and UO vs. just bare bones hyper thrill coasters, and everything in between where an attraction might be on coaster tracks, but is more perhaps something altogether unique.

This is what I love about Universal/IOA that I feel sets it apart from other Theme Park and standard Amusement Parks. It has some of everything across all potential coaster classifications.

Type A - Standard pure "High thrill" coasters (non-themed or only mildly themed):
  • Hulk
  • RRR
  • Previously Dragon Challenge, but eventually we will get this JP coaster
Type B - Ultra Themed Coasters:
  • Mummy
  • Hagrid's
Type C - On Coaster Tracks, but an entirely different immersive type experience (so may not even be classified as a coaster):
  • Gringott's
Type D - Low Themed pure Kids Coasters
  • Hippogriff
  • Woddy's Nuthouse Coaster
IMO WDW severely lacks in Type A's and regional Amusement Parks (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Busch Gardens etc.) severely lack in Types B and C. Universal has the best mix of all of them (and I'm sure we'll continue to get an above mix with the new park too).

Last edited:
What makes a coaster great is so personally subjective it's very difficult to come to a general consensus. Especially when it comes to central Florida with the likes of highly themed coasters in WDW and UO vs. just bare bones hyper thrill coasters, and everything in between where an attraction might be on coaster tracks, but is more perhaps something altogether unique.

This is what I love about Universal/IOA though that I feel sets it apart from other Theme Park and standard Amusement Parks. It has some of everything across all potential coaster classifications.

Type A - Standard pure "High thrill" coasters (non-themed or only mildly themed):
  • Hulk
  • RRR
  • Previously Dragon Challenge, but eventually we will get this JP coaster
Type B - Ultra Themed Coasters:
  • Mummy
  • Hagrid's
Type C - On Coaster Tracks, but an entirely different immersive type experience (so may not even be classified as a coaster):
  • Gringott's
Type D - Low Themed pure Kids Coasters
  • Hippogriff
  • Woddy's Nuthouse Coaster
IMO WDW severely lacks in Type A's and regional Amusement Parks (Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Busch Gardens etc.) severely lack in Types B and C. Universal has the best mix of all of them (and I'm sure we'll continue to get an above mix with the new park too).

If I could give this 100 likes I would. Around the time Dragons closed, I don't even think the JP coaster was on the table. Also, SW and BG were still in absolute free fall. It looked like "type A" was dying a slow, painful death...in Florida at least. A year and a half later, and the outlook is far rosier. :)

How Big Thunder isn’t a good coaster confuses me. I love how it throws you around. Much more fun than Rock’n Rollercoaster imo. I sometimes get bored on the latter.

Reactions: Mad Dog
How Big Thunder isn’t a good coaster confuses me. I love how it throws you around. Much more fun than Rock’n Rollercoaster imo. I sometimes get bored on the latter.
Both are good coasters. Don't get the complaints for either. But, if I had to pick, I'd go with Big Thunder because of the theming.

Big Thunder is a great theme park ride. As a coaster it's not noteworthy in the slightest.

Both are good coasters. Don't get the complaints for either. But, if I had to pick, I'd go with Big Thunder because of the theming.
But that's the argument: Theming does not a good coaster make.

A "good coaster" stands without theming. Would Big Thunder be a good coaster if it wasn't themed? What about Everest? As mediocre as rides like Barnstormer are, they're coasters that stand alone. That's why something like Slinky can be argued as one of the best coasters at Disney; it doesn't lean on set-dressings.

To throw my hat into the ring.

Mako is the best coaster in Orlando.

It is. No lies detected.

It’s good it’s just not the best in the resort. Plus people want different things from coasters: wooden roughness, airtime, speed, inversions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.