Jurassic World | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The movie was fun, nothing special. I'd give it a 7.5/10. The climax (and the whole movie) was predictable, but man did it deliver. The subplots were my biggest issue and my only real complaint about the movie. I know what they'e setting up for the sequel, but I don't know if it can deliver.

Yeah. Hammond was more of a villain in the book. Also, several character's fates were switched around. i.e. Hammond dies, Muldoon lives.

Ah, so the plot of having one group innocently turning on the power while the others scale the fence to get to safety is in the book? I love that entire sequence and find it very clever and suspenseful.

My goodness... Little Tim from JP. I had no idea he was still in the biz.

the_pacific_hbo_tv_miniseries_image_joseph_mazzello_01.jpg

SonicWALL - Blocked by GeoIP Filter.

(sorry, off topic, I will shut up now...) :)

Genuine question: for those who like JW better than JP, how old are you? Not a slam at all. Just wondering if the first time you experienced JP was on VHS at home or on the big screen.

Genuine question: for those who like JW better than JP, how old are you? Not a slam at all. Just wondering if the first time you experienced JP was on VHS at home or on the big screen.

24, I experienced at home. I think the connection you're trying to make is that if you see it at home, you miss out on the experience of JP. I'm not quite sure that works. A movie shouldn't be "great" because when you see it as child on the big screen, it blows you away. A great movie would still remain great even if you see it for the first time at 25 on an iPad. If that's not the connection you're making, ignore everything I just said :D

Reactions: Shadow Carelli
24, I experienced at home. I think the connection you're trying to make is that if you see it at home, you miss out on the experience of JP. I'm not quite sure that works. A movie shouldn't be "great" because when you see it as child on the big screen, it blows you away. A great movie would still remain great even if you see it for the first time at 25 on an iPad. If that's not the connection you're making, ignore everything I just said :D

While that's true, and I still feel that JP is heads and tails better than JW on every level and not even close, if you say you were entertained more, I wonder how much of that fun came from experiencing it in a sold out audience on a giant digital screen. It's all well and good to say a film should hold up at home (which JP does), but you don't watch film in a vacuum. It's impossible for you to say that not seeing JP in a theater doesn't have an effect, because you didn't experience it. As you said, "on paper" JP is a better film, but this is more enjoyable. I just wonder if that's because you didn't experience JP with 200 other people spilling popcorn from jumping, hanging on to their edge of their seats, THX sound booming and rattling your body, a dinosaur larger than life on the screen. See what I mean?

While that's true, and I still feel that JP is heads and tails better than JW on every level and not even close, if you say you were entertained more, I wonder how much of that fun came from experiencing it in a sold out audience on a giant digital screen. It's all well and good to say a film should hold up at home (which JP does), but you don't watch film in a vacuum. It's impossible for you to say that not seeing JP in a theater doesn't have an effect, because you didn't experience it. As you said, "on paper" JP is a better film, but this is more enjoyable. I just wonder if that's because you didn't experience JP with 200 other people spilling popcorn from jumping, hanging on to their edge of their seats, THX sound booming and rattling your body, a dinosaur larger than life on the screen. See what I mean?

I mean...I saw JP as a 9 year old kid in the theaters - and I'm sure most of us watched it around that age, give or take a few years. I'm positive as a child we weren't aware of the merits of a quality film. Just that it was fun and dinosaurs. :lol:

Now for the older folk, they have some weight to that point.

I mean...I saw JP as a 9 year old kid in the theaters - and I'm sure most of us watched it around that age, give or take a few years. I'm positive as a child we weren't aware of the merits of a quality film. Just that it was fun and dinosaurs. :lol:

Now for the older folk, they have some weight to that point.

True, but that wasn't what I was saying. I was just stating that perhaps this one seemed more "fun" than the original because it was experienced in a way that was conductive of a more fun experience. JP is a LOT about spectacle. It just seems to make sense that if you see on spectacle on VHS at home and one with 200 people on a big screen, you're going to feel like the one in the theater was more "fun."

I just wonder if that's because you didn't experience JP with 200 other people spilling popcorn from jumping, hanging on to their edge of their seats, THX sound booming and rattling your body, a dinosaur larger than life on the screen. See what I mean?

Yes and no. I tend to enjoy more movies at home, which I feel is a growing trend. Some of my favorite movies are movies that I saw at home or in my various film classes. Alien, Back to the Future, Psycho, The Warriors, Spring Breakers (don't judge me!), Enemy, Snowpiercer, Nightcrawler. Those are all some of my favorite films that I saw either at home or at class sitting in god awful chairs and being barely awake. Compare that to my favorite films that I've seen in the theater, Toy Story 3 (not counting 1 and 2 since I was a child, hell, Toy Story was my first theater movie), Scott Pilgrim vs the World (don't judge me!!) Gone Girl or The Social Network. Every movie I see in the theater that gives me a so-so feeling, I tend to rewatch at home, where my opinion usually changes more positively. If anything, leaving a theater loving a movie is quite rare for me, that doesn't happen until I rewatch it at home.

The theater experience isn't one that I overly enjoy, though seeing a movie at the Alamo is a more positive experience than say going to the old AMC/Regal/UA theaters I used to go to, but lets not get into that. I'd been the spokesperson for the Alamo enough in this thread :lol:

Yes and no. I tend to enjoy more movies at home, which I feel is a growing trend. Some of my favorite movies are movies that I saw at home or in my various film classes. Alien, Back to the Future, Psycho, The Warriors, Spring Breakers (don't judge me!), Enemy, Snowpiercer, Nightcrawler. Those are all some of my favorite films that I saw either at home or at class sitting in god awful chairs and being barely awake. Compare that to my favorite films that I've seen in the theater, Toy Story 3 (not counting 1 and 2 since I was a child, hell, Toy Story was my first theater movie), Scott Pilgrim vs the World (don't judge me!!) Gone Girl or The Social Network. Every movie I see in the theater that gives me a so-so feeling, I tend to rewatch at home, where my opinion usually changes more positively. If anything, leaving a theater loving a movie is quite rare for me, that doesn't happen until I rewatch it at home.

The theater experience isn't one that I overly enjoy, though seeing a movie at the Alamo is a more positive experience than say going to the old AMC/Regal/UA theaters I used to go to, but lets not get into that. I'd been the spokesperson for the Alamo enough in this thread :lol:

I'm not trying to draw this out, but of those movies mentioned, none of them have the spectacle element that something like JP has. I don't want to use Avatar as an example, so I won't :lol:. I'll use Gravity. Seeing Gravity in IMAX 3D is going to be a different experience than seeing it in 2D on a big screen and even more of a difference on a 40 inch TV.

For instance. I saw The Descent at home and thought it was well-made, but didn't scare me or make me uncomfortable. I saw it again a year later in a film class (our film classes at SFSU were in big theaters) on a film print with the full surround sound. I was shocked by how terrifyingly claustrophobic that movie became with the sound of every little pebble scratching audibly against a character. You may not think it has an impact, but until you experience it both ways, you'll never know.