Jurassic World | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, I went to a 9:45 showing of Jurassic World last night to see it in IMAX 3D. I forgot how absolutely massive true IMAX is; this screen was 2-3 times bigger than AMC's "IMAX".

Anyways, Jurassic Park is my favorite movie of all time, so it is to be expected that I would be overly critical of Jurassic World:

Jurassic World was amazing. From the story to the visuals to the wonder to the perfect nods to the original film, Jurassic World was exactly what I wanted from a Jurassic Park sequel and more. I can't go into details, as my brain is still processing what happened last night, but that movie gave me the same feelings as I had 20 years ago. I was a kid again sitting in that theater.

212M worldwide estimates as of this morning.

Really interested to see how it stacks next week. Inside Out is going to be big, but that's not going to bother JW much since they don't have the same audience. Only threat I see is Terminator, which opens July 1st.

212M worldwide estimates as of this morning.

Really interested to see how it stacks next week. Inside Out is going to be big, but that's not going to bother JW much since they don't have the same audience. Only threat I see is Terminator, which opens July 1st.
IO and JW are going to have quite a bit of overlap.

Saw this yesterday and it was amazing. Seeing this movie brought back memories of me seeing the JP films for the first time. I loved how they paid homage to the first film and the action sequences were great! Saw it in IMAX 3D and that really added to the whole experience.

IO and JW are going to have quite a bit of overlap.

But its not like Inside Out is going to hurt sales. One is a PG Pixar movie aimed at children, while also being good for adults, like most Pixar movies are, but the intended audience is children. JW is aimed at adults that grew up with the original, plus new fans that happen to be young adults and male teens. Some overlap sure, but its not like Terminator, which is aiming for the same demo as JW is. I think Inside Out will still open at #1 and will make lots of money.

Reactions: *Q*
But its not like Inside Out is going to hurt sales. One is a PG Pixar movie aimed at children, while also being good for adults, like most Pixar movies are, but the intended audience is children. JW is aimed at adults that grew up with the original, plus new fans that happen to be young adults and male teens. Some overlap sure, but its not like Terminator, which is aiming for the same demo as JW is. I think Inside Out will still open at #1 and will make lots of money.

I think Disney regrets where they put Inside Out right now. I don't think a #1 opening is anywhere close to a guarantee after this

Reactions: Clive and youhow2
I freaking loved this movie!!! Its just pure fun from start to finish. The story is a little ehhhh at points but the action, special effects, and chaos more than make up for it. Its not as good as the first one and lets face it no sequel for this franchise ever will be but it destroys the lack luster sequels of Lost World and 3. If you were to rate the movie based on dialogue, acting, and all that "official" stuff I'd say 3.5 out of 5. If you were to rate it based on fun factor, its an easy 5 out of 5.

I enjoyed it so much I'm gonna check it out again next week, maybe this time in Imax...

I think Disney regrets where they put Inside Out right now. I don't think a #1 opening is anywhere close to a guarantee after this
As someone who works in the industry, I don't really think it's that big of a deal. Jurassic World is doing very well, but many audience members are talking about how in some cases it really pushes the PG-13 limit. This may alienate families from bringing their young ones to see it next weekend considering much of next weeks intake will be WoM based. I'm pretty sure Inside Out will still make a killing next weekend, and I hope it does based on the excellent reviews! Another thing to consider is the lack of children's films in the marketplace over the last month, which has been very minimal, usually leading to a massive weekend for a critically acclaimed family film. It will be more of a question of how much does Jurassic hold over? I'm thinking if it opens between 180-200, it'll be a 60-65% dropoff next weekend. My guess? Inside out and Jurassic World both make in the vicinity of 75-85 mil and battle it out for first!

We will definitey be able to tell after tomorrow night a bit better.

Reactions: youhow2
Just got back. Haven't entirely formed a complete opinion yet, but overall a solid and worthy addition to the franchise.

There were some great individual sequences in there, good direction and cinematography for the most part, and nice close-up time with some of the dinosaurs.

On the flip side, my only criticisms would be that I felt it was a little bit rushed (first act could have been expanded with more exposure of the attractions and exhibits), and that it lacked the intimacy and intensity of the original due to the larger scale of everything.

All things considered though, good movie and had suitable 'cool factor'. I liked it.

Edit - special mention for the coolest reference to a previous installment ever:
computerised Mr DNA on the interactive exhibit!

Last edited:
I don't know. I get the feeling that this movie is one of those "event" type movies that we rarely get. My parents are even going to see it and they never go to the movies. They tried to look for tickets around 3pm and both theaters near them were sold out until 9.

Going into JW my biggest fear was that it would be terrible....I'm happy to say that fear did not come true!

Sure, it wasn't as "magical" as the first one (which I didn't expect), the characters were a bit "cartoony" (which I expected), and the plot was far from "perfect" (which I didn't expect it to be), but at one point about about thirty minutes in it hit me: I was loving this movie. It honestly made me feel like a kid again, and I had no problem getting into what the movie was trying to do. It was meant to be a "theme park ride" of a movie and I really feel like it did a great job at that.

And to everyone else who thought Zara's death was crazy, I'm right there with you. I usually don't mind movie violence...but that was brutal.

Nahhh. As someone who observes this stuff regularly, I think Inside Out and Jurassic World are going to battle to death for #1. Inside Out will make a solid amount anyway - and this is someone who saw it in Cannes and loved it to pieces - but this placement was not wise in hindsight. JW and Pixar are both event films, but Pixar is suffering for audience trust after Brave/Cars 2/MU... JW was suffering for respect, but EVERYONE is bracing for a great Jurassic Park film. (Then again, people are bracing for a Pixar return to form, soon.)

Bottom line - Inside Out's #1 BO success is nowhere near guaranteed. This is going to be one of the most interesting battles we've seen in a while.

I don't know. I get the feeling that this movie is one of those "event" type movies that we rarely get. My parents are even going to see it and they never go to the movies. They tried to look for tickets around 3pm and both theaters near them were sold out until 9.

Yeah. Our 8 PM showing last night was completely sold out - people applauded when the movie began. They applauded multiple times throughout the film. And of course went nuts when the film ended. This is the definition of "event movie."

Dr. Grant. My dear Dr. Sattler. Welcome... to Mercedes Park!

Honestly I think everyone is seeing this film through nostalgia tinted lenses. Save for the last 20 minutes and a few bright spots, this really didn't work for me. It was so unnecessarily dumb and inconsistent. A park notorious for accidents lets people pilot their own pods around a paddock? What if a bracciasaurius falls over and crushes one? So many accidents in paddocks over the years and you can waltz right into one to look for a missing 50 ft Dino? And don't even get me started on the tea-drinking-during-chaos, evil-turtleneck-wearing Henry Wu.

And yet, I would be able to handle all of that silliness if Trevorrow had been able to build suspense. He handled action well, but I never got the feeling of anxiety that I got in JP or even The Lost World. The last 20 minutes were fun, but a barebones eye rolling script and pisspoor characters won't hold up on repeat viewing.

Reactions: youhow2
Dr. Grant. My dear Dr. Sattler. Welcome... to Mercedes Park!

Honestly I think everyone is seeing this film through nostalgia tinted lenses. Save for the last 20 minutes and a few bright spots, this really didn't work for me. It was so unnecessarily dumb and inconsistent. A park notorious for accidents lets people pilot their own pods around a paddock? What if a bracciasaurius falls over and crushes one? So many accidents in paddocks over the years and you can waltz right into one to look for a missing 50 ft Dino? And don't even get me started on the tea-drinking-during-chaos, evil-turtleneck-wearing Henry Wu.

And? I don't care about all that critic-focused stuff, especially with this movie. 99% of the time I'm sitting down and tossing my brain out the window to watch a movie, unless it's something like Schindler's List or a documentary.

Was it fun? Check! Dinos? Check! Dinos eating people? Check! Takes place in the Jurassic Park "world?" Check! An awesome soundtrack that holds up to Williams' brilliant work? Check (seriously, Giacchino knocked it out of the park)!

That's the overly-simple checklist I had for this movie, and it delivered beyond my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and expect to have just as much fun the next time I watch it (likely next week). Is that mostly fueled by nostalgia? Heck yes it is, and given how much I listen to the original soundtrack, now the new soundtrack, and watch the first 3 when I can (I really need the box set) I don't expect that to change anytime soon. In other words, to heck with the critic stuff. :lol: