Jurassic World | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jurassic World is an odd film, one that I'm finding my feelings on slightly hard to describe. You can maybe Call it a Love-Hate-Hate-Love relationship. The film is flawed and lives up to it's own hype, but not quite my own expectations.

What keeps the movie down is the lack of suspense that was in the first film. Had Spielberg directed the flick I feel it would've came out much, much better. There are some "oh sh-^" moments, and the one death Briman referenced was indeed probably one of the most terrifying and brutal things I've seen in a PG-13 film in a while. I feel they rushed the story a bit and wish they had shown the development of the park and played up the story of the kids a bit more as an intro.

The film is very unapologetic, in the sense it does play down the "wonder" of the dinosaurs, unlike what the original did oh so well, and instead places it's emotional connection in the nostalgia of being a kid in a theme park, You connect to the film from remembering your first time watching the original, Perhaps your first time stepping foot in an amusement park. These sequences are excellent in their own right, but at the same time I feel like it was a cheap way to create a connection the the story they are telling here, and because of this, the story doesn't stand on it's own two legs but on the legs of the nostalgia of the original, which keeps the film from excelling from a good popcorn action flick to something as memorable and time-honored as the original. The dinosaurs come second to the "stolen nostalgia" and are used to make more of a statement regarding the respect of wildlife, and they are shown with the audience reaction in almost a campy, satirical sense. I'm not quite sure what the director was trying to achieve here, other than making a comment on the notion that perhaps we as a species are just as violent as the animals we keep in captivity, and praise them for doing what they do, But when the animals attack any human, the cheers stop even though they are just doing what they do.

The dinos appear mostly in CGI, though there are a few, and I do mean a very few animatronics/puppets used for a few close up sequences. Lots of missed opportunity here. The unveiling of the I-Rex is underwhelming, for me at least. It doesn't become "scary" until it gets out and you see it for the first time, and when you do see it in it's full glory for the first time, it feels extremely rushed, though this happens well into the film, the buildup and subsequent rampage lack the subtleties, suspense and finesse of the first encounter with the T-Rex... Even though this scene pays homage to the scene with the SUV in the first film.

The human characters are your typical action movie archetypes, with above average development. Chris Pratt's character, Owen shows a bit more intelligence then your average leading action hero and has a sense of depth to him. Then, for the leading lady, Bryce Dallas... Well let's just say her character, Claire is going to cause a lot of feminist uproar, even though I don't view her character as flawed, weak or "typical" throughout the whole of the film, In fact her character's story and a lot of the not-so-subtle camp displayed by her and in her interactions with Owen seem to imply the director was trying to make a point... a point I'm going to let you decide on.

Two more standouts, B.D Wong is excellent as usual in a smaller role and Ty Simpkins as "Gray" the younger of the two main adolescent roles, without his acting job this film would fail. He holds together the very fabric of this film, keeping it from becoming the ultimate exercise in camp. I hope he has a very long career. There were also a couple good supporting performances from Omar Sy and Jake Johnson.

The other characters were very weak. Vincent D'Onofrio has one of his worst performances in recent memory, to the point where I thought he shouldn't have even been cast in his role. His and a few other performances weigh the film down in scenes where it had a chance to excel. Between the bad performances and sometimes bad dialogue and the SUPER-obvious foreshadowing you'd think perhaps the script should have had maybe just one more minor re-write or edit.

I find my problem with the film, is that besides relying too heavily on what we've come to know and love from the franchise as the connection point to the film, it eschews the intimate, close-up nature of the encounters and the wonder and excitement of them all in favor of an extremely fast-paced, post-2000's style action flick. I understand why, as I'm sure in directing the film there were choices to be made, and it needed to be shot one way or another way. I was hoping Colin would find proper balance between the delights of the style of the original and the new style of filmmaking. Yes, we're in a much larger setting, yes there are more characters, Yes were telling the story of Jurassic World, and not Jurassic Park. But somewhere, somewhere on the timeline of when this film was being made the Director forgot exactly what made Jurassic Park special and decided telling a larger more "popcorn" oriented story was more important then seeking out to truly connect with the audience through this film, though there were several missed oppurtunities to excel from summertime mediocrity to truly outstanding piece of Cinema.

Despite it's many shortcomings, The film does indeed stand up to the hype, but it simply does not excel to become the movie that the original deserves. I'd buy the DVD or Blu-ray if I was looking for something to add to the collection. But I wouldn't go out my way to pre-order the collectors edition. I'd see it maybe twice in theaters. 7.2/10.

Last edited:
The Alamo Drafthouse, best theaters in the world. :biggrin: None in Florida yet but I hope they open one soon. In a perfect world they'll close the AMC at CityWalk and replace it with an Alamo, though that's unlikely since they don't allow children. Tourists would be upset.

If they were so inclined to bring Alamo Drafthouse onboard, what they could do is make the bottom level available for all ages and close off the top level for adults only. I would love to see them come in, they are known for a lot of great events, and I could see them doing a lot more to cross-promote with the parks for Universal's movies that come out. It is utterly bizarre to me that they didn't do a Jurassic World campaign in the IoA this summer, even stranger than a lack of a 25th Anniversary campaign. Furious 7 had a bigger presence in the park than Jurassic World did. I could easily see where Alamo Drafthouse would possibly change that. I also think they'd be likely not to put up with the LieMAX nonsense.

Also, probably featured the most brutal death of any character in JP movies. :lol:

My exact thought the precise moment she came on screen was, "This chick is toast!" Understatement of the year. I'd say the next brutal moment in the franchise when the guy on the street in San Diego got chomped by the T-Rex.

Also, did anyone spot the Barbasol can? I didn't, but the response from the Barbasol Twitter account just made sure I'll be seeing the movie again very soon. :lol:

What?? When/where is it?

If they were so inclined to bring Alamo Drafthouse onboard, what they could do is make the bottom level available for all ages and close off the top level for adults only. I would love to see them come in, they are known for a lot of great events, and I could see them doing a lot more to cross-promote with the parks for Universal's movies that come out. It is utterly bizarre to me that they didn't do a Jurassic World campaign in the IoA this summer, even stranger than a lack of a 25th Anniversary campaign. Furious 7 had a bigger presence in the park than Jurassic World did. I could easily see where Alamo Drafthouse would possibly change that. I also think they'd be likely not to put up with the LieMAX nonsense.

I guess the double level could work, but I just feel like the Alamo wouldn't want that. I'd think they want to give the same experience to everyone and would rather lose sales than appeal to the same crowd that the AMC caters to. We can save the Alamo talk for when there are rumors of an AMC replacement, which I do hope is soon :lol:

My exact thought the precise moment she came on screen was, "This chick is toast!" Understatement of the year. I'd say the next brutal moment in the franchise when the guy on the street in San Diego got chomped by the T-Rex.

Did you find the death to be a little...undeserved? Don't get me wrong, I loved watching it and it was crazy brutal for a PG-13 movie, but it just felt like it would have had a stronger impact if you were made to hate the character.

Did you find the death to be a little...undeserved? Don't get me wrong, I loved watching it and it was crazy brutal for a PG-13 movie, but it just felt like it would have had a stronger impact if you were made to hate the character.

No?

She wasn't even a secondary character. Doesn't matter if she was loved or hated; as soon as she hit the water, we all knew what was coming and were prepared for it. The whole theater groaned in anticipation.

No?

She wasn't even a secondary character. Doesn't matter if she was loved or hated; as soon as she hit the water, we all knew what was coming and were prepared for it. The whole theater groaned in anticipation.

Exactly, she was a tertiary character who was presented as self-absorbed right from the get-go. It also seemed implied to me that she only freaked out about the kids going missing because she'd lose her job, so, yeah, obvious dino snack, with brutality in proportion to her arrogance, just like the blood-sucking lawyer in JP.

Exactly, she was a tertiary character who was presented as self-absorbed right from the get-go. It also seemed implied to me that she only freaked out about the kids going missing because she'd lose her job, so, yeah, obvious dino snack, with brutality in proportion to her arrogance, just like the blood-sucking lawyer in JP.

I guess. I mean, it was the longest death of the movie and had like 3 different dinos involved. It just felt like it was made for a villain, someone you just couldn't wait to see die. She might have been an airhead, but isn't Claire more deserving of *a* death (not that one), since she didn't seem to want to be bothered with her nephews at all. She also didn't seem concerned with any of the park guests until very late in the movie. If your boss said "Here, look after these 2 kids because I'm too busy to do it", you wouldn't be totally caring either. I can't fault her for that.

She was a very non-important character, just waiting to die, I agree, but I don't know if that death was at all justified for her character. It was more of a "Oh, damn!" sorta thing instead of a "hell yeah!" reaction, if there was any emotional connection at all for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess. I mean, it was the longest death of the movie and had like 3 different dinos involved. It just felt like it was made for a villain, someone you just couldn't wait to see die. She might have been an airhead, but isn't Claire more deserving of *a* death (not that one), since she didn't seem to want to be bothered with her nephews at all. She also didn't seem concerned with any of the park guests until very late in the movie. If your boss said "Here, look after these 2 kids because I'm too busy to do it", you wouldn't be totally caring either. I can't fault her for that.

She was a very non-important character, just waiting to die, I agree, but I don't know if that death was at all justified for her character. It was more of a "Oh, damn!" sorta thing instead of a "Fu-k yeah!" reaction, if there was any emotional connection at all for her.

If my boss told me to do something, I'd do it damn well to the best of my ability unless it was very inappropriately well out of the purview of my responsibilities. For the assistant of a top executive like that, that is well within her duties, and would probably actually be one of the less thankless tasks she's had to perform. On the flip side, perhaps the movie was trying to make a point of how nature is brutal and can come after anyone. Regardless, something about her gave me the immediate vibe that she was going to get chomped.

I don't believe it is fair in the least to compare any cgi film to JP I. The original contained stuff the world had never seen before: rendered real life anything. I remember crying at the first shot of the longneckosaurus. I think I mumbled through my cry spit, "that's impossible". Most of you younger people have yet to see a film or anything that defied possibility. At the time, that was it.

JP I has more faults than a water bucket filled with sand. A small raptor paddock planted with dense plants where scientists could not observe attack/eating behavior? Silly.

So, anything else since is just an attempt to do it better and they have.

That said, some of you might have been born since 1993 and feel it is still the better film. On that, I am dead in the water. :)

If my boss told me to do something, I'd do it damn well to the best of my ability unless it was very inappropriately well out of the purview of my responsibilities. For the assistant of a top executive like that, that is well within her duties, and would probably actually be one of the less thankless tasks she's had to perform. On the flip side, perhaps the movie was trying to make a point of how nature is brutal and can come after anyone. Regardless, something about her gave me the immediate vibe that she was going to get chomped.

Honestly my "hell yeah" moment was when
Hoskins got his freakin face pounded in by Blue.

That my friends was even better the second time around!

She was a very non-important character, just waiting to die, I agree, but I don't know if that death was at all justified for her character. It was more of a "Oh, damn!" sorta thing instead of a "hell yeah!" reaction, if there was any emotional connection at all for her.
they should have had her in something that looked like a red Star Trek shirt
I loved all the referances to modern theme park culture. Now Universal can introduce those cool rubber bracelets the kids got as a movie tie in.

Last edited:
Saw the movie and absolutely loved it. Sure there were some shortcomings but it was exactly what I wanted it to be.

I was really impressed with the raptor motor cycle bit and then they almost instantly upped the ante with raptor riding a t-rex seriously what more can you want!?!?

I'm thrilled to say I really enjoyed it too.
I think it's not the movie the trailers made it out to be. I expected far more cheese and it to be way more JPIII than anything else. It's the best JP sequel, the end is immense. It has it's flaws sure, but it's the best blockbuster this year so far.

I really liked the nods to the original and to theme parks.
Was it just me or did anyone else see the enclosed escalators at the beginning and think USH?

Reactions: youhow2
Though it was awesome. Not better than the first obviously, but still a fun movie that I'll try and see again. Also, Chris Pratt is the man. He's hitting on all cylinders right now with his roles.

Nearly $83M on Friday alone! Plus think of the legs this thing will have with word of mouth beyond the first week or two. This is going to be an absolutely massive film for Universal.

What?? When/where is it?

Of course they didn't say, or even say that it is in there, necessarily, but it certainly seemed implied! I'll probably be seeing it again Tuesday or Wednesday and you can be sure I'll be on the lookout for a Barbasol can.

And I was looking really darn closely during the section where they were around the original Visitors Center, even though I know that's not where Dennis dropped it. I figured that's where it would show up in the movie, though.