KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barney Theater is incredibly small though and the cost to put on the show would be really high when you consider how small of an audience they would be playing to.
Which is fair.

With Fear Factor, ostensibly, on its way out for ride expansion, and Animal Actors being an extremely dated, 3rd party show (which I’ll acknowledge pulls decent ratings), maybe it’s time to raze the AA theater, merge its plot with Barney, and create a Hyperion-style venue for a Broadway-style musical. Something that could, conceivably, compete with Disney.

They, hypothetically, have access to some marketable shows that would fit and could rotate out (Shrek, SpongeBob, BttF, Wicked).

Which is fair.

With Fear Factor, ostensibly, on its way out for ride expansion, and Animal Actors being an extremely dated, 3rd party show (which I’ll acknowledge pulls decent ratings), maybe it’s time to raze the AA theater, merge its plot with Barney, and create a Hyperion-style venue for a Broadway-style musical. Something that could, conceivably, compete with Disney.

They, hypothetically, have access to some marketable shows that would fit and could rotate out (Shrek, SpongeBob, BttF, Wicked).
A Hyperion style theater would pretty much put them ahead of Disney as the only theater Disney has that's close to DCA's Hyperion at WDW is The Theater in the Wild where they have Finding Nemo at DAK. DHS really needs a Hyperion style theater and just port over the Aladdin show honestly.

Something like that type of quality would certainly be welcome at UOR, but unfortunately we're talking about KidZone, where dreams go to die, so it'll never happen.

A Hyperion style theater would pretty much put them ahead of Disney as the only theater Disney has that's close to DCA's Hyperion at WDW is The Theater in the Wild where they have Finding Nemo at DAK. DHS really needs a Hyperion style theater and just port over the Aladdin show honestly.

Something like that type of quality would certainly be welcome at UOR, but unfortunately we're talking about KidZone, where dreams go to die, so it'll never happen.
I would rather see an attraction than a theater. Also i heard on ParkStop's recent video they think that the Pokemon rumors are still on to replace KidZone. Is this true or has it shifted to DreamWorks? I would also put money on KidZone shutting down in 2024-2025 if that is what is replaced next after EU opens. The KidZone replacement could open in 2026.

45-minute show … kids would LOVE it.

The actual evidence to this shows this isn't true, see Disney shortening all their shows. Plus 45 minutes limits the actual amount of people who can watch the show. I'm not the biggest Shrek fan (NGL) so the idea of a MUSICAL to me is totally repulsive, but a 15-minute song and dance show with foam heads would do well.

Barney Theater is incredibly small though and the cost to put on the show would be really high when you consider how small of an audience they would be playing to.

This is the company that shut down Sinbad for that reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the company that shut down Sinbad for that reason.
It also won't draw anymore people to the back of the park than something like Dreamworks Destination currently does. I've personally never seen that section of the park so busy and it'll only get busier with the introduction of Shrek & Donkey.

These are low cost moves that give them large benefit as opposed to high cost moves giving them really no more benefit than what they're currently doing. They're making the best out of the situation by utilizing the Barney Theater and Courtyard for a "New" offering (really just putting all Dreamworks characters in one spot).

They're biding their time and honestly have been for a decade. The land has been severely underfunded for a long time so just getting some pavement enhancements and the Dreamwork Theater stuff is at least nice before something real inevitably happens. I feel like work on the area will have been started for a new land (Pokemon or something) by the time EU opens, but knowing KidZones history, i'm not betting on it.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they haven't done quick rethemes - Trolls for Fievel, Kung-Fu Panda for Curious George (with a noodle cart), The Croods (or something else?) for Woody Woodpecker, etc. Even if that doesn't stand the test of time, it would buy you a few more years and move some new merch.

I'm surprised they haven't done quick rethemes - Trolls for Fievel, Kung-Fu Panda for Curious George (with a noodle cart), The Croods (or something else?) for Woody Woodpecker, etc. Even if that doesn't stand the test of time, it would buy you a few more years and move some new merch.
Because those aren't quick rethemes. They'd have to spend REAL MONEY to do those things, into the tens of millions. Universal's whole thing right now is finding ways to keep people interested in the land while also spending as little as possible because they know that there's plans for the whole thing to be bulldozed anyway.

Because those aren't quick rethemes. They'd have to spend REAL MONEY to do those things, into the tens of millions. Universal's whole thing right now is finding ways to keep people interested in the land while also spending as little as possible because they know that there's plans for the whole thing to be bulldozed anyway.
I agree; there really is no such as a quick retheme.

Reactions: Nick
You know… putting an abridged version of the Shrek musical into the Barney theater could be a lot of fun. “Big, Bright, Beautiful World,” “Welcome to Duuloc,” “Travel Song,” “Donkey Pot Pie,” "Forever" “Good Morning Song,” “Build A Wall,” “Beautiful World (Reprise),” and “I’m a Believer” could support a fun, 45-minute show with a fairly small cast. Throw some multi-media aspects, like a screen backdrop, and puppets… kids would LOVE it.
Fixed that for you :p

Reactions: Legacy
I think there as once a rumor for a Shrek indoor boat ride at Epic, if it doesn't happen there, would be nice if they could get this to replace Kidzone.
That would be the best move IMO. It could give the studios a water ride and another E-ticket in a single swoop. I also think that it would really knock the doors down because of the meme culture. Just like people flocked to see rise of gru, they will flock to ride the new Shrek ride. Just like minions, the people who grew up with the original movies are now of vacationing age and with families of their own.

Reactions: anihilnation
Not true. Just replace the Fievel sign with the penguins of Madagascar and replace the sign/statue of curious George with a Dreamworks character and bam you have a 10 dollar re-theme. Maybe buy a bucket of paint and you have an entire new re-skin.

Not true. Just replace the Fievel sign with the penguins of Madagascar and replace the sign/statue of curious George with a Dreamworks character and bam you have a 10 dollar re-theme. Maybe buy a bucket of paint and you have an entire new re-skin.
So… you’re implying putting Madagascar Penguins (which takes place in present day) on the Fievel sign, but NOT changing the western theming of the area, would be an “entire new re-skin...”

So… you’re implying putting Madagascar Penguins (which takes place in present day) on the Fievel sign, but NOT changing the western theming of the area, would be an “entire new re-skin...”
A bucket of paint goes a long way man

Reactions: Jwhee
Status
Not open for further replies.