Knott's Scary Farm 2023 | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Scary Farm 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I remember this too. I guess with how many comments you see on their social media and elsewhere, I would have expected them to sell out already.
Pre-pandemic they definitely always said they were limited, but they seem to be stressing it this year. If I had to guess, connecting some inside information dots, it’s because initially they were not going to offer them this year. One of the higher ups campaigned for them to return, so they did with a price hike and a promise to sell to the general public. Now they want sales to go well/it to sell out to justify the return of the pass.

Honestly, I would have thought they would sell out this year given the demand for them the past two years.

But, I guess you cannot really control WHEN people start thinking about/being willing to invest in Halloween.

Pre-pandemic they definitely always said they were limited, but they seem to be stressing it this year. If I had to guess, connecting some inside information dots, it’s because initially they were not going to offer them this year. One of the higher ups campaigned for them to return, so they did with a price hike and a promise to sell to the general public. Now they want sales to go well/it to sell out to justify the return of the pass.

Honestly, I would have thought they would sell out this year given the demand for them the past two years.

But, I guess you cannot really control WHEN people start thinking about/being willing to invest in Halloween.
Fair point! I guess time will tell. I am just happy that we have them at all this year. Hopefully the bottom line will show them that it is something to keep around for the more dedicated fan base.

Reactions: kingcooger
I wonder what killed them last year, there seems to be a number of possible factors: the chaperone policy, the lack of a haunt season pass perhaps; and they really jacked prices up last year is a real possibility as well. I've got the haunt pass so we'll see what the add-ons like Fright Lane and Boo-fet are like.

One thing I noticed that I don't believe was there last time I checked was that Park Hours has Haunt running on Wednesdays in October now. Maybe I missed that before.

I wonder what killed them last year, there seems to be a number of possible factors: the chaperone policy, the lack of a haunt season pass perhaps; and they really jacked prices up last year is a real possibility as well. I've got the haunt pass so we'll see what the add-ons like Fright Lane and Boo-fet are like.

One thing I noticed that I don't believe was there last time I checked was that Park Hours has Haunt running on Wednesdays in October now. Maybe I missed that before.
it was the chaperone policy for sure, thats responsible for the large majority of it at least

Last year was sort of weird in general. The chaperone policy was a big reason for the lack of crowds, which is why you saw them advertising free tickets to people with groups of 5 or more later in the event. They quietly added Scary Farm passes online for a very limited time but it was an add-on only. They also were dealing with staffing issues throughout the entire run. It just felt like a very off year for them.

I am expecting a return to form this year. From what I am hearing, I think people will be happy and so far with the addition of the Scary Farm pass and the added Wednesdays we are already off to a good start.

I went opening night and the night after last year and the crowds were way down. Lol it was cool to meet and hang out with some the vloggers I've watched for ages. And of the monsters from the boo-fet remembered me, even though I haven't been since 2019. They call me Hugh Jackman because I come from Australia.

I've got potentially 6 nights on my trip I can use the haunt pass so I should get a return on investment lol. It's a real mystery what's coming this year. New show in Charles Shultz, Dark Ride & Pumpkin replacements, something is going on the arcade, and will the Calico show be different this year?

I went opening night and the night after last year and the crowds were way down. Lol it was cool to meet and hang out with some the vloggers I've watched for ages. And of the monsters from the boo-fet remembered me, even though I haven't been since 2019. They call me Hugh Jackman because I come from Australia.

I've got potentially 6 nights on my trip I can use the haunt pass so I should get a return on investment lol. It's a real mystery what's coming this year. New show in Charles Shultz, Dark Ride & Pumpkin replacements, something is going on the arcade, and will the Calico show be different this year?
I could see the Calico show having different acts, but the same general structure; it was super popular last year and VERY instagram friendly

Yep, the event will have 4 Wed-Sun 5 night weekends this year in October...

Bloodline Rumor: the guns are gone & the maze is being restructured story wise. (.....unfortunately there might still be a gimmick in place of the guns. "Flashlights")

Grimoire: if you look in that direction while on GhostRider, you'll notice that Grimoire has received some "roof work/tarps"

Arcade location: if they plan to expand the maze more, I could see the arcade closing after July 4th to finish the maze. Guests can exit BearyTales through the giftshop.

As far as The Hanging, they were hiring for "stunt actors" sooo... there is hope! From what I understand, we should see a show in Walter Knott theatre, Calico Mine Stage, & possibly Wagon Camp Theatre. The mine stage circus show seems to be a hit & will be back again.

Alright... back into hibernation I go...

^Interesting, I went the first couple of nights, and the guns did not work at all, no score. I think Bloodline would be better without guns. Might be a very good year.

Reactions: Freak
Hmm, well with the way Bloodline was built, it's totally possible to do the flashlight concept which requires the ease of distribution/collection and so forth. And for what it's worth, they were well received with Trick or Treat, and they can still act as weapons against the vamps with UV light. Should be interesting to see how it's changed up.

Hmm, well with the way Bloodline was built, it's totally possible to do the flashlight concept which requires the ease of distribution/collection and so forth. And for what it's worth, they were well received with Trick or Treat, and they can still act as weapons against the vamps with UV light. Should be interesting to see how it's changed up.

I agree- I think the flashlight concept totally works, the way-too-fast-pace was the worst part of Bloodline, and slowing down to admire all the detail and Easter eggs in those incredibly tall sets seems
like the best possible thing to do.

Trick or Treat was phenomenal with the flashlights because you could turn the corner to something right in your face- I love the opposite idea with Bloodline, that you have these wide-open areas where it's much more difficult to find where the scares may come from. Hopefully this comes to fruition!

as someone who missed the flashlight year with trick or treat: are we talking about literal flashlights? or the same tech as the guns but with a flashlight apparatus?

as someone who missed the flashlight year with trick or treat: are we talking about literal flashlights? or the same tech as the guns but with a flashlight apparatus?
Literal Flashlights. When Trick or Treat did it, the maze was much darker and everyone really had to look around to see things, also at certain points the flashlights would flicker, turn off, change color/turn UV.

Reactions: Freak and Jake S
Literal Flashlights. When Trick or Treat did it, the maze was much darker and everyone really had to look around to see things, also at certain points the flashlights would flicker, turn off, change color/turn UV.
It’s a great gimmick to spice up a tired maze. I’m surprised they don’t do it more. I do t think they need to use the flashlight gimmick for Bloodline. It would be ideal for probably the Depths or Dark Entities (If that’s staying).

It’s a great gimmick to spice up a tired maze. I’m surprised they don’t do it more. I do t think they need to use the flashlight gimmick for Bloodline. It would be ideal for probably the Depths or Dark Entities (If that’s staying).
A very key thing about flashlights/laser guns, the aspect of distributing them at the entrance, collecting them at the exit and bringing them back to the entrance. Because of the guns, Bloodline was set up to easily do that as the drop off and pick up are close by. This is not feasible with The Depths as the entrance and exit are as far apart as can be, and I don't think Dark Entities' entrance and exit are close, either.

If memory serves both Dark Entities and The Depths have exits on the opposite side of their respective buildings. They had to retrofit the building Bloodline is in to accommodate the blaster distribution area. I didn't enjoy the shooting element as much as I hoped. It just felt too start and stop. I never experienced Spec Ops, but I know many people raved about it, so my expectations were high, and Bloodline didn't quite meet them. Still glad I experienced it though

I always thought Dark Ride would have been a great candidate for the lights out treatment. I'll miss it!

In a speak of the devil kind of moment, I was just about to post if there's been any construction at the main entrance location (formerly Pumpkin Eater), and sure enough it has!

The pics were taken earlier this month, but there's clearly a new maze being built.
Also, new lumber has been spotted outside Boardwalk Ballroom.

So that's potentially three new mazes, I say potentially since there is that rumor that Dark Entities was quietly retired last year, but there's yet to be any word on possible new construction over there.

Finally, Mesmer has also been getting the metal roofing treatment to protect it from the elements.

One More Thing...

So, I just saw this and I'm surprised this went under the radar. The annual Midsummer Scream is happening next month and Knott's has their presentation on Saturday, July 29th. The speakers for that presentation are...

Ken Parks (Corporate Director of Creative Development at Cedar Fair Entertainment Company)
Ted Dougherty (Writer/Director, Plague Productions)
And one more person...Jon Cooke. (Owner, Plague Productions)

Ain't that a lineup? And I don't think they'd be bringing Jon on stage just to reminisce about old times. It's also fitting they have Ted considering he's quite the historian on Knott's, especially Haunt. And for what it's worth on Facebook they listed him as a Show Writer. Now whether that's just referring to his role at Plague Productions or Knott's which is having a new show or two, we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
So that's potentially three new mazes, I say potentially since there is that rumor that Dark Entities was quietly retired last year, but there's yet to be any word on possible new construction over there.

I feel like I'm the only person who would be legitimately sad about Dark Entities leaving- one of my favorite haunts in the country the last few years, but man, I can't wait to see what takes over that valuable real estate if true!

I also enjoyed the Dark Entities concept; I love a good sci fi setting, and this felt as close as we could get to a maze based on Alien and Aliens (2 of my favorite movies). But the execution has sadly been lacking. Better maintenance and staffing and that probably would have been in my top 5.
I know some suggested moving the guns from Bloodline over here, and make it truly like Aliens. No evidence of that happening, and here we're walking thru the aftermath of a battle, rather the middle, but Knott’s, you're welcome to take that idea for a future concept lol