Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Live Theatre / Musicals

Saw the Hadestown tour earlier today. I thought it was good but not great. The actors were phenomenal, but I found the score in certain parts to be pretty meh. Wait For Me is still one of my fave musical songs of the last 10 years, though. The Fates were especially great. I’d give it probably 7.5/10.

The unthinkable has happened.

I'm devastated. Something has to be afoot here, because the grosses have stayed steady with the show's historical averages.

That said, I'm very glad I got to see it a few months ago.

I'm devastated. Something has to be afoot here, because the grosses have stayed steady with the show's historical averages.

That said, I'm very glad I got to see it a few months ago.
Yeah something isn't adding up here.
Rent rates have skyrocketed in NYC, that's no secret. It's possible that The Shubert Organization has raised the rent rates of The Majestic Theater (and their other theaters) and staying steady with historical grosses is no longer good enough.

I think it’s as simple as it’s not doing well rn, doesn’t have a good lead heading into the fall, announce this now so ticket sales ramp up, close, wait a few years, re-open and win best revival at the Tony’s. This is my guess. If the touring market was healthier I’d guess it tours but I’m not so sure.

Lol

WTF, so a new muscial that is liked is just doing one tour and ending...dont like this and hope its not a trend

• A Strange Loop - A blistering masterpiece that will win Best Musical if there's any justice in the world. This show's issue, I think, is bound to be its marketing: It's being presented as a scathing, comedic satire of the struggling writer through the lens of a black and queer artist, but that's only one (albeit major) facet of the story. The sexual and familial trauma is arguably the raw heart of the show, and it sneaks up and sucker punches you if you aren't ready for it. I came away deeply moved. I hope theatergoers beyond the Broadway faithful give it a chance.

This is a super delayed response (I've been completely submerged in school work and work work) but I have to say that A Strange Loop's songs completely captured my heart. An absolutely beautiful soundtrack that delivers some emotional devastation, especially being gay and having too many friends who know the story all too well. In particular, Periodically, and Precious Little Dream are tear wrenching and raw. I hope I can go see it at some point, and I'm so glad it won Best Musical.

I am, actually. I just don’t think I was asking for Josh Groban as Sweeney.
Josh Groban is a proven Broadway box office draw however and somewhere along the way the producers decided they needed star power to get butts in seats. The Great Comet ran for 8 months with him in his lead role and as soon as he left, the show struggled financially and closed shortly after.

Josh Groban is a proven Broadway box office draw however and somewhere along the way the producers decided they needed star power to get butts in seats. The Great Comet ran for 8 months with him in his lead role and as soon as he left, the show struggled financially and closed shortly after.
I mean, I get the financial reasons. But, again, I wasn’t necessarily asking for a Sweene Groban. Brian D’Arcy James? Absolutely. Christopher Sieber. Yes. Shoot, I think Hugh Jackman in the role could be a blast. Josh Groban is not someone I really envision in the role (Annaleigh Ashford, however, is inspired casting).

I’m sure he’ll smash the role. Like, I’m definitely intrigued. It’s just not something I “want.”

I mean, I get the financial reasons. But, again, I wasn’t necessarily asking for a Sweene Groban. Brian D’Arcy James? Absolutely. Christopher Sieber. Yes. Shoot, I think Hugh Jackman in the role could be a blast. Josh Groban is not someone I really envision in the role (Annaleigh Ashford, however, is inspired casting).

I’m sure he’ll smash the role. Like, I’m definitely intrigued. It’s just not something I “want.”

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Now I have no doubt on his singing and Broadway chops since he definitely proved himself in The Great Comet, but for the role of Sweeney, you do need that presence and madness. Especially the latter since that is key for songs like "Epiphany" and pretty much the second half of the show.

If he can pull it off, then there's some wicked potential here.