Live Theatre / Musicals | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Live Theatre / Musicals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Was in New York for Thanksgiving and saw a bunch of shows --

• Some Like it Hot is spectacular, and I hope it can find its footing financially and manage a lengthy run. So many older shows come with caveats - “it was of its time, ya know” - but the adaptation somehow has it both ways. This has all the joys & excess of classic Broadway with a smart book that deftly navigates the “men wearing dresses” conceit. It's always compassionate, always funny, frequently thrilling, never preachy. Strong recommend.
  • Caught Into the Woods again with some of the new cast rotations, including Andy Karl (subbing in for a week or so), who I quite enjoyed in the otherwise middling Pretty Woman adaptation from a few years ago. Brian d'Arcy James, Patina Miller, and that shockingly good Milky White puppet remain the standouts, but I liked Gavin Creel a lot more this time. Not shockingly, the show has become much easier to see after the departure of Sara Bareilles.
  • Saw Beetlejuice one more time before it departs Broadway (I have plans to see the touring version, but the effects are never going to be as spectacular, and it's going to be tough to capture the same magic that Alex Brightman brings to the title role). Most of the original cast stuck around, and they remain excellent. It's a real shame this couldn't find a way to sustainably run a long time - it gets by mostly through day-of TKTS sales - as it was clearly connecting with the audience.
  • Experienced Sleep No More 4 (!) times. This is something every fan of themed entertainment needs to try. It's an immersive production that combines Macbeth, Hitchcock (particularly Rebecca and Vertigo, with a pinch of Psycho and Suspicion), and the Paisley Witch Trials. Experienced the best run of the show I've ever had on the fourth and final visit. Mind-blowing and unforgettable.

• Some Like it Hot is spectacular, and I hope it can find its footing financially and manage a lengthy run. So many older shows come with caveats - “it was of its time, ya know” - but the adaptation somehow has it both ways. This has all the joys & excess of classic Broadway with a smart book that deftly navigates the “men wearing dresses” conceit. It's always compassionate, always funny, frequently thrilling, never preachy. Strong recommend.
  • Caught Into the Woods again with some of the new cast rotations, including Andy Karl (subbing in for a week or so), who I quite enjoyed in the otherwise middling Pretty Woman adaptation from a few years ago. Brian d'Arcy James, Patina Miller, and that shockingly good Milky White puppet remain the standouts, but I liked Gavin Creel a lot more this time. Not shockingly, the show has become much easier to see after the departure of Sara Bareilles.
  • Saw Beetlejuice one more time before it departs Broadway (I have plans to see the touring version, but the effects are never going to be as spectacular, and it's going to be tough to capture the same magic that Alex Brightman brings to the title role). Most of the original cast stuck around, and they remain excellent. It's a real shame this couldn't find a way to sustainably run a long time - it gets by mostly through day-of TKTS sales - as it was clearly connecting with the audience.
  • Experienced Sleep No More 4 (!) times. This is something every fan of themed entertainment needs to try. It's an immersive production that combines Macbeth, Hitchcock (particularly Rebecca and Vertigo, with a pinch of Psycho and Suspicion), and the Paisley Witch Trials. Experienced the best run of the show I've ever had on the fourth and final visit. Mind-blowing and unforgettable.
I'm excited to get to see Beetlejuice next year when it tours.....one time...lol

Some Like It Hot was so fun at the Macy’s Day Parade. I saw J Harrison Ghee in Kinky Boots and they were stunning, I hope a Tony nom is coming their way!

I never really realized how badly I want Hadestown to become a film until i finally saw it for the third time. Wait for me going into We build the Wall is just A+

Saw MJ, Some Like It Hot and & Juliet this weekend. Each one was incredible in its own right. Did not want them to end.

The Garden Theater here in Winter Garden, FL has been in an on-going fight with their board, but have surprisingly brought on a production partner (Victory Productions) who are bringing in national talent to the small Garden Theater. They have a full slate with Victory for this year including Rock Of Ages, DreamGirls, Next To Normal, and Something Rotten.

Rock Of Ages is currently performing to very positive reviews with a cast you might more expect at the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Theater than a small theater in a suburb of Orlando. Not sure if i'll see Rock Of Ages, but if they keep up high caliber casting like this for the rest of their slate this year they'll definitely have me for at the very least Next To Normal.
2c91de_0c7b0019e50a4a53af7197960be426b9~mv2.jpg

Was in NYC this past weekend to see Chicago and ended up rushing for Kimberly Akimbo too.

Had planned on seeing Chicago last year with Pam Anderson, but literally two days beforehand I ended up with a bad flu so I had to give up the tickets. Made up for it by seeing Jinkx Monsoon as Mama Morton! She was a delight, and honestly the whole cast was on point! Wonderful choices being made that have kept a familiar show fresh, and it was my first time seeing it on Broadway (last time I saw it live..I was in it, haha).

First time I ever did an in person rush, and it was a mixed bag. I was staying with friends in Brooklyn, so I got up around 6:30am and headed over to the theater. By the time I was in line it was 8am, and I was first, but quickly joined by others. Ended up with a line of about 30-40 people by the time the theater opened at 10am. The in person rush tickets are based heavily on how well the show is selling that day, and while there was decent availability, I know for a fact not everyone in line got a ticket. I was with a friend I rarely see, so we probably could have had better seats if we sat separately (one would have been in the orchestra, one would have been in the balcony though) but instead chose to sit together and ended up with partial obstructed view in the boxes. If I had to recommend for anyone in this position, choose the house left boxes, not right, as we were blocked from viewing quite a few crucial scenes and not much of consequence happened on the side of the stage we had a good view of. For $40 I can't complain though.

The show was really nice, and even with obstructed view it was pleasant to listen to. Only really one big memorable tune, but I'm sure by the time the album comes out it will be on repeat. Amazingly tight cast, not a single weak link among them. Victoria Clark is so fully committed to her role, Justin Cooley as Seth was so enjoyable and sweet with his characterization. Bonnie Milligan steals every scene she is in, and I am always in awe of her voice. The two parents were able to tow the line phenomenally between emotionally grounded and somewhat over the top, and the glee club kids had harmonies for daaaaaays. Would definitely recommend, but don't go in expecting lavish spectacle (if you've done any amount of research you'd know this is a small, intimate show, but I did hear a few complaints at intermission about how small scale the show was). This will almost certainly have massive legs in community theater.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I'd visit the show if I was on vacation in Orlando. I love Rock Of Ages and on a smaller stage I'm sure it'll have a better vibe. This show is not about the spectacle but about the awesome music.

Reactions: Nick
This performance of You Oughta Know got a mid-show standing ovation at my showing of Jagged Little Pill. This is a future star.

Also, Here Lies Love is finally coming to broadway. This thing is WILD and I bet this sweeps the Tony's next year for best new musical.

It's also going to have some crazy staging the likes of which we haven't seen since Great Comet.