Lower Lot Redesign | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm sure a few of you have seen this picture. It seems that where the "Hunchback" cathedral stands is where the Castle Theater (Stage 56) is now.

phantomstage1A.jpg

Reactions: Jonathan
http://insideuniversal.net/2014/08/historic-stage-28-set-to-close/

So, now finally according to IU sources and being mentioned on the studio toue, the historic Phantom of the Opera soundstage, is set to be closed. Super sad in my opinion. Such a historic and legendary soundstage. But also interesting situation. I hope whatever replaces it is worthy of being it's successor. I'm curious if it will be used as space for a new soundstage or if it will be space for a new theme park attraction. I hope it's new theme park space! And for Lon Chaney's sake, I hope they properly preserve the Phantom opera house sets...

Watcha guys think? New Soundstage coming? Or more space for theme park development?

A lot of us have speculated in years past that this could be a good spot for a new attraction so...let's see what happens!

Was this on the expansion plan?

If this IS an extra E-ticket ride coming because the park officials realized they need another major ride to offset Potter crowds, then my prayer is answered (but unconfirmed). That would be very smart. Although if they wanna open a ride before Potter opens, especially an original one, they're gonna have to start building it, um, yesterday. Haha. Or maybe it's planned to open after Potter? Either way, this is very interesting and I hope this is for the theme park.

I think... They are going to use something that's in another Universal Park. Besides, its a lot more faster to Get it done if its a Clone, much like Transformers in Orlando. But nether the less; I'm interested on whats going to happen.. hopefully while they add something to Phantom they can fix Transformers facade.. but i'm just dreaming and hoping..

oh7ogp.jpg

Did some labeling for size comparison. Stage 28 is a tad smaller than Transformers, or maybe it's just their different shapes that throws it off. And Stage 2 can fit twice in the Mummy building it look like! Crazy, hu?

Either way, that's a VERY decent chunk of land for a new ride, so I'm curious what they'll add. The only new ride in development in another Universal park at the moment is Kong, and considering we already have Kong, i doubt that's what we'd get. So maybe we're getting a totally unique ride?

I'd rule out a coaster. Building is smaller than the Mummy, so it'd be a 10 second ride...

Very very very curious.

How funny would it be if this ends up being a House of Horrors-themed ride?! It would be located on "haunted" ground and fill in the Universal Monsters void. I'd be down for THAT.

W

oh7ogp.jpg

Did some labeling for size comparison. Stage 28 is a tad smaller than Transformers, or maybe it's just their different shapes that throws it off. And Stage 2 can fit twice in the Mummy building it look like! Crazy, hu?

Either way, that's a VERY decent chunk of land for a new ride, so I'm curious what they'll add. The only new ride in development in another Universal park at the moment is Kong, and considering we already have Kong, i doubt that's what we'd get. So maybe we're getting a totally unique ride?
I'd rule out a coaster. Building is smaller than the Mummy, so it'd be a 10 second ride...
Very very very curious.
How funny would it be if this ends up being a House of Horrors-themed ride?! It would be located on "haunted" ground and fill in the Universal Monsters void. I'd be down for THAT.

If that space does go to the Theme Park, who says its going to be for a ride?  It could be for a theater to eventually replace Castle Theater.

Or may be it will become a flex space, and only used for private events, HHN, and Grinchmas.

If it is for a ride, I think its going to require a lot of re-working the paths and Transformers extended queue to make it fit.  I would imagine that JP Restrooms, Amazing Pictures, Panda Express, NBC-Universal Experience, and Transformers extended queue would have to be demolished to create suitable access to support a ride in that location.

Very interested to see what happens.

Reactions: Jon Fu
If that space does go to the Theme Park, who says its going to be for a ride? It could be for a theater to eventually replace Castle Theater.

Or may be it will become a flex space, and only used for private events, HHN, and Grinchmas.

If it is for a ride, I think its going to require a lot of re-working the paths and Transformers extended queue to make it fit. I would imagine that JP Restrooms, Amazing Pictures, Panda Express, NBC-Universal Experience, and Transformers extended queue would have to be demolished to create suitable access to support a ride in that location.

Very interested to see what happens.
I could see it being a theatre/flex space but I think having a flex space all the way down there would be kind of awkward. I'd rather see it as another attraction, especially since that's a pretty large space to became just a show/flex space. Getting this space as a "gift" from the studio is a gift IMO and is quite rare, so they shouldn't waste an opportunity to add another large ride down there.

If any space needs to become a Flex Space, it's Shrek 4D. Make that a NY style theatre to have a generic theme but still look lavish, and then use it for corporate events or park shows, etc.

And I wouldn't hold it past Universal to do a lot of reworking...look what they're doing on the upper lot. If need be, they'll do some demolishing. It'll be a shame to see Universal EExperience get evicted in the process.

I think over the past 2 years, we should have learned one thing from USH and Universal as a whole: "Expect the unexpected."

Thought about this a lot last night and I have heard some rumblings that this is just a modernization refurbishment to Stage 28.  In any case, I do find a few things hard to swallow.

- Phantom set removed... but why?  Where is it being stored?  Was it removed to protect it?  Was it demolished?  Is it going back once the work is done?

- Did the theme park buy the property?  Or is the Studio just updating the structure for an out of code building?

- Will this house a new show?  There have been rumors of a venue being changed which can only be SES.  But only rumor.

I don't think we have seen anything that proves this will become new theme park space.  They have already announced all the new attractions for 2015.  I also can see that upgrading this sound stage so the Studio can use it can be very profitable.  Stage 28 has been said they don't use it because it is not currently sound proof.  I know this thread will live on and I may eat my words, but at the moment nothing has proven that Stage 28 is being demolished or going to become theme park property.  This will be interesting to watch over the next few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard a rumor a while ago that the next attraction after Potter will be on the lower lot. I found it hard to make sense of the rumor due to lack of space. But now that rumor is starting to sound more plausible.

I heard a rumor a while ago that the next attraction after Potter will be on the lower lot. I found it hard to make sense of the rumor due to lack of space. But now that rumor is starting to sound more plausible.
So you are suggesting that they are now starting on a new attraction to open after 2016?  I don't think this is plausible.  With the sheer fact that its similar in size of Transformers and that all attractions for 2015 have already been announced, I don't think there is movement on anything beyond 2016 yet.  If anything, we should see the hotels rising first.

I still believe this to be a studio endeavor and not a theme park adventure.  *But I can be wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, what if they intend on re-locating the Studio Tour back to the Lower Lot?

There is a TON of space if you combine Sound Stage 28, JP Restrooms, Amazing Pictures, Panda Express, NBC-Universal Experience, and Transformers extended queue.  Then they could use the old Studio Tour location for more Potter or something else entirely.

I talked about this a while back . i guess they are finally getting rid of a studio in the lower lot. my guess is that this is only the tip of the ice berg i wont be surprised if they get rid of the panda express dinning area next since we are about to have eating options left and right in the park. I think and hope this will be some type of Jurassic park/world attraction. that will mean getting rid of panda, that one random gift shop next to it and nbc universal experience .

I think people are getting way too excited over what is likely just an update and modernization of the soundstage.
 true :( me for example.