MSHI Expansion? | Page 131 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As hot as the MCU is right now, that's on Disneyland to capitalize on it stateside. Universal's already got a well-rounded Marvel land with updated E-Tickets , they've had all that since pre-Infinity War. I think we don't see much movement in MSI for a long while.
That’s the other thing - any participation from Marvel Studios would generate a conflict of interest.

That’s the other thing - any participation from Marvel Studios would generate a conflict of interest.
How? Universal has the rights east of the Mississippi. They could add another attraction so long as its comic based (Disney, meanwhile, is using the movie version. Ironically they still can't use "Marvel" even West of the Mississippi")

Reactions: Spider-Sonic
They should really do stuff with the Marvel license. Everything reeks of the 90s (granted, they have their 90s voice actors, but those are meant to be the "classic" voices. Sort of like how Six Flags uses the DCAU voice actors.) Why does Black Panther only appear on a sign? Where's War Machine? Where's the Falcon?
Some might say the 90s comic aesthetic is part of its charm and what makes IOA's version special

Contrasted with the cold industrial direction Disney has chosen

Some might say the 90s comic aesthetic is part of its charm and what makes IOA's version special

Contrasted with the cold industrial direction Disney has chosen

The comic aesthetic has it's charm for sure but it's dated. A modern comic book take would be most welcomed.

MSHI doesn't need the MCU and the majority of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

With phase 4 ramping up to be something massive, who knows what the next big popular character could be. Do they go with Iron Man or wait and see what happens with Fantastic Four?

Reactions: joelbryant11
The comic aesthetic has it's charm for sure but it's dated. A modern comic book take would be most welcomed.

MSHI doesn't need the MCU and the majority of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

With phase 4 ramping up to be something massive, who knows what the next big popular character could be. Do they go with Iron Man or wait and see what happens with Fantastic Four?
Maybe Hulk treatment (which ironically has some cold industrial aethetic lol) where the characters are statues rather than cutouts

I wouldn't mind some freshening up...but as it is MSHI is the last island that needs to be touched

MSHI is raking in a lot of cash and guest satisfaction is probably very high, so don't expect unnecessary money spending when in fact it's in stellar condition and other parts in the resort can use the spending.

MSHI is raking in a lot of cash and guest satisfaction is probably very high, so don't expect unnecessary money spending when in fact it's in stellar condition and other parts in the resort can use the spending.
It may not need it, but to stay ahead of the contract with Marvel, which requires the attractions to be up-to-date and to be in perfect condition, I could see them re-doing Fearfall the same way they did Hulk someday. They've already upgraded Spider-Man, and re-did many of the murals. It's kind of the only thing left.

Again, if it weren't for that contract, sure, they probably wouldn't touch the land right now.

It may not need it, but to stay ahead of the contract with Marvel, which requires the attractions to be up-to-date and to be in perfect condition, I could see them re-doing Fearfall the same way they did Hulk someday. They've already upgraded Spider-Man, and re-did many of the murals. It's kind of the only thing left.

Again, if it weren't for that contract, sure, they probably wouldn't touch the land right now.

I like Doom a lot and the towers are iconic for the park but what can they really do to it?

S&S have an upgrade option that will work with older models:

They can update the area but it's not going to fix the 3 main issues; The ride itself is nothing special and can found at amusement parks all over the world, the capacity is terrible for the number of visitors that IOA now has and Dr Doom as a character isn't that widely known (This will no doubt change in the future as he's introduced into the MCU).

Reactions: Alicia
I like Doom a lot and the towers are iconic for the park but what can they really do to it?

S&S have an upgrade option that will work with older models:

They can update the area but it's not going to fix the 3 main issues; The ride itself is nothing special and can found at amusement parks all over the world, the capacity is terrible for the number of visitors that IOA now has and Dr Doom as a character isn't that widely known (This will no doubt change in the future as he's introduced into the MCU).
It would be less about improving the guest experience and more about not giving Disney an inch to argue they aren’t holding up their end of the contract.

[/QUOTE]
They could add towers (I'm sure it is in the spirit of the contract) and they could enclose them and expand the experience using screens and a story giving ToT a run for it's money. But as they are now no guests would loose their sht if they couldn't ride it due to capacity as it is nothing special (although I like it a lot). But keeping Disney from ever getting this license is the main focus of this land for Comcast.

Reactions: Scott W.
It would be less about improving the guest experience and more about not giving Disney an inch to argue they aren’t holding up their end of the contract.

I understand the reasoning but in this day and age of theme parks, it seems a bit half hearted. We usually only see these kind of improvements as part of a new ride or land.

I’m still on the mindset that Disney doesn’t want the rights back for WDW.

They could add towers (I'm sure it is in the spirit of the contract) and they could enclose them and expand the experience using screens and a story giving ToT a run for it's money. But as they are now no guests would loose their sht if they couldn't ride it due to capacity as it is nothing special (although I like it a lot). But keeping Disney from ever getting this license is the main focus of this land for Comcast.

I have had that thought. Adding two more towers would be a cheap addition while doubling capacity. Hell, add the new seat system to the new towers and offer double the variety.

With Epic back on track, and two new massive E tickets in IOA debuting in the past couple of years, plus Lost Continent needing an upgrade, I don't see where there will
be anything major forthcoming on Marvel Island for a long time. Plus Hulk had the major redo fairly recently. Some small cosmetic changes to the Marvel Island perhaps, but that's about it.

How long is the average life span of the S&S space shot towers?

I imagine S&S still makes parts for them, but Doom is more than 20 years old at this point.

And we know 20 years old in Universal time is much more significant than 20 years at a regional park in terms of wear and tear.

On the note of updates for Marvel Land, I wouldn't mind if Universal overhauled the restaurants in Marvel. Some new menu items, and interactive elements

Last edited:
Reactions: n i c k
I had heard Doom was actually on the chopping block until the EU pause, so Universal had purchased the spin-shot seats to do something with it. Now that it’s back on? I have no clue what’s going to happen with it.

Seeing Doom and SFA go for another big coaster would be amazing.

EDIT: ...annnnnd I revel in being dumb and forgetting that you have Hulk right next door. Ooof.

Reactions: Scott W.
I had heard Doom was actually on the chopping block until the EU pause, so Universal had purchased the spin-shot seats to do something with it. Now that it’s back on? I have no clue what’s going to happen with it.

I'm not shocked. It's got one of the lowest capacities in the park, and while it's iconic, it's also probably one of the most expendable and easily removable attractions at Islands.

I'm not shocked. It's got one of the lowest capacities in the park, and while it's iconic, it's also probably one of the most expendable and easily removable attractions at Islands.
It's also just one of the worst rides of this kind imo. Not even as good as the same ride that's sprinkled across the many six flags, Cedar Fair, etc parks across the country and globe.

It's also just one of the worst rides of this kind imo. Not even as good as the same ride that's sprinkled across the many six flags, Cedar Fair, etc parks across the country and globe.

The show elements really do a lot when it's running 100%. (I noticed some quiet/blown out speakers on my last visit that made it hard to hear the V/O, and operations even made announcements over the concluding remarks.) But yeah, after all of that buildup, it's fairly underwhelming.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The show elements really do a lot when it's running 100%. (I noticed some quiet/blown out speakers on my last visit that made it hard to hear the V/O, and operations even made announcements over the concluding remarks.) But yeah, after all of that buildup, it's fairly underwhelming.
Personally, I’ve always wanted them to build “chutes” midway up the towers, with lighting effects and maybe screens. The MAIN purpose though would be to basically remove the sunlight from load. Make load dark, like the queue, and fill it with fog and strobing green lights right before launch. They could REALLY plus a fairly mediocre attraction without much investment.

See also, enclosing Storm Force.

Last edited:
Personally, I’ve always wanted them to build “chutes” midway up the towers, with lighting effects and maybe screens. The MAIN purpose though would be to basically remove the sunlight from load. Make load dark, like queue, and fill it with fog a strobing green lights right before launch. They could REALLY plus a fairly mediocre attraction without much investment.

See also, enclosing Storm Force.
All of that sounds great, i'll take a plussed up Doom and SF if that's all we can get. But i'd still just really love to kill both attractions and see them put in another E-ticket into the land. :lol:

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot