Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Project for Dinoland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Disney’s emphasis on IPs, it seems like a no-brainer to convert Dinosaur to Indy. The entire land could be rethemed to South America and it would fit.

Dinosaurs are extinct wildlife, and a land based around such things has been a core element of the park since its early design days.

So Dinoland USA, consisting of Hester and Chester, has something to do with a core element of the park?

Indiana Jones used anthropology and archeology in pursuit of conserving and preserving historic artifacts while encountering dangerous animals.

Anything can be shoehorned in. Rohde’s gone, so who cares.

So Dinoland USA, consisting of Hester and Chester, has something to do with a core element of the park?

Indiana Jones used anthropology and archeology in pursuit of conserving and preserving historic artifacts while encountering dangerous animals.

Anything can be shoehorned in. Rohde’s gone, so who cares.

Dinosaurs are mentioned on the dedication plaque! Chester and Hester's is a mis-use of space, but the rest of Dinoland is 100% in keeping with a park that has extinct animals explicitly as part of its mission statement.

And you talk about things being shoehorned in as if it's a good thing. It's not, particularly when something like Indiana Jones would be perfectly at home in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom without any shoehorning required.

And you talk about things being shoehorned in as if it's a good thing. It's not, particularly when something like Indiana Jones would be perfectly at home in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom without any shoehorning required.

I agree with this part although being a huge huge Indy fan I will take an Indy ride anywhere. Unfortunately, even with the fifth allegedly on its way, I'd be stunned if they did anything with Indy in any of the parks.

Dinoland is horrible though. It teaches absolutely nothing about dinos and the way they're portrayed isn't scientifically accurate anyway. I love the Dinosaur ride but I miss the Countdown to Extinction version and the rest of the area is absolute garbage. Something, anything has to be done.

I mean, a rethemed Dinosaur ride as a ride along with Judy and Nick going through the different burrows of Zootopia doesn’t sound like a terrible idea.

Oh that's a BAD IDEA. The next Stitch's Great Escape.

Other than a phobia of snakes, what does Indiana Jones have to do with wildlife, conservation, or the inherent value of nature?

Exactly, if this is the bar then just anything that's featured animals can end up in Animal Kingdom.... *looks at Pandora*

Dinosaurs are mentioned on the dedication plaque! Chester and Hester's is a mis-use of space, but the rest of Dinoland is 100% in keeping with a park that has extinct animals explicitly as part of its mission statement.

Fair points. I certainly like the idea of sticking to the overall theme of the park and thought WDI found a good way of fitting Pandora in. It’s just that an Indy reskinning of Dinosaur works out perfectly and the surrounding area can easily fit in as a dense, snake filled jungle. The setting of AK is much more inline to Indy’s theming than DHS.

Exactly, if this is the bar then just anything that's featured animals can end up in Animal Kingdom.... *looks at Pandora*
I mean, I think Pandora does hit enough of the bullet points of AK's thesis statement to fit. For me, anyway.

Fair points. I certainly like the idea of sticking to the overall theme of the park and thought WDI found a good way of fitting Pandora in. It’s just that an Indy reskinning of Dinosaur works out perfectly and the surrounding area can easily fit in as a dense, snake filled jungle. The setting of AK is much more inline to Indy’s theming than DHS.
I look at it like this: would I rather have a reskinned attraction OR a completely new, additional attraction somewhere else?

Give me the addition.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Naga, anyone? I may be the last person still rooting for an Indian Jones land based on snakes.

200w.gif

I look at it like this: would I rather have a reskinned attraction OR a completely new, additional attraction somewhere else?

Give me the addition.

You can do both. Use the money saved with a reskinning of Dinosaur to Indy toward an addition at DHS for a different IP. You get Indy land at AK with new Temple Jeep attraction, a C-Ticket coaster going through an archeological dig (with snakes!) plus a whole other land/ride in DHS.

If Disney had plans to re-do the Dinoland area, I'd keep Dinosaur as it is (maybe revert it to Countdown To Extinction), add the Excavator coaster using RMC, and then one additional ride (maybe a flume ride) to fill out that area. Just my thoughts. I'd rather they keep the dinosaur theme and not shoehorn an IP into the area where it doesn't really belong.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Naga, anyone? I may be the last person still rooting for an Indian Jones land based on snakes.
Yes, and then they can probably crank the intensity of the vehicles up a notch back to the CTX days since the ride will be catering to a PG13 audience instead of taking a thrill ride and trying to cater it to a child audience. Maybe even keep a Carnotaurus and reskin it as some temple monster along with the giant snake. If this doesn’t fit the animal theme and they want to go with something else and replace dinosaur at the same time, they could always pack up the ride system and ship it to Hollywood studios to replace the Indy show with an Indy ride. Although that park’s going in the right direction, they need more classic blockbuster representation from non-animated movies. Galaxy’s Edge would’ve filled this void if it wasn’t sequel-based, so an Indy ride would fit perfectly

If Disney had plans to re-do the Dinoland area, I'd keep Dinosaur as it is (maybe revert it to Countdown To Extinction), add the Excavator coaster using RMC, and then one additional ride (maybe a flume ride) to fill out that area. Just my thoughts. I'd rather they keep the dinosaur theme and not shoehorn an IP into the area where it doesn't really belong.
That’d be great. Since Universal’s going full steam ahead with the Dinosaur theme with Velocicoaster, Disney might want to keep some dinosaur representation to compete

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everything needs to be a competition.

As Bill Nye said in a now-closed attraction: "Dinosaurs are just cool!" There could never be too many dinosaurs in Orlando theme parks.

One thing that Jurassic Park (the books and the movies) taught is that people, especially kids, love dinosaurs. There are so many different storylines that can be used. A hidden world, ala Journey to The Center of The Earth, time travel as in Dinosaur, the Jurassic Park/World franchise, and other stories. All it takes is a little imagination, which is what I think Walt Disney may have promoted.

Oh that's a BAD IDEA. The next Stitch's Great Escape

Oh, please. A wild ride through Zootopia where we get to visit Tundratown, Rain Forest District, Little Rotendtia, Savannah Central, and Sahara Square while Nick makes his sarcastic comments and Judy tries desperately to hold everything together and we get their witty back and forth is in no way close to the next Stitch’s Great Escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.