Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 236 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The day after Avatar opens is when Universal strikes... XD

Putting that aside, depending on their scheduled timeline, they could wait for after HHN, as they have announced several things early November.

Now with Star Wars opening 2019, some one at Uni is trying to rush this thing.

2017: Avatar v. Volcano/Fallon
2018: Toy Story v. F&F
2019: SWL v. Nintendo?

The day after Avatar opens is when Universal strikes... XD

Putting that aside, depending on their scheduled timeline, they could wait for after HHN, as they have announced several things early November.

Now with Star Wars opening 2019, some one at Uni is trying to rush this thing.

2017: Avatar v. Volcano/Fallon
2018: Toy Story v. F&F
2019: SWL v. ???
2020: ??? v. Nintendo
That's more what it'll seem like.

Reactions: Joel
Nah, Universal doesn't want to blow their load to fast with this one. I think once Volcano Bay is done and open is when we will start seeing construction/followed by a september announcement. I do believe something will slip such as new concept art for a certain park tomorrow but nothing overly concrete.

Reactions: Mike S
Nah, Universal doesn't want to blow their load to fast with this one. I think once Volcano Bay is done and open is when we will start seeing construction/followed by a september announcement. I do believe something will slip such as new concept art for a certain park tomorrow but nothing overly concrete.
That's enough for me!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::drool::peace::whoo:

Reactions: Joel and E.Gadd
There will be a push from higher up to have as many of the Nintendo Worlds in operation or nearing completion before the Summer Olympics in 2020.

I'm not sure how feasible that will actually be in practice, but both Nintendo and Universal really want to be able to cross-promote the parks while they are doing their usual Olympics pimping duties. Especially when it comes to Japan.

For those who know the obvious NBC connection to the IOC but not the other, Nintendo has been the publisher for the official Olympic video games since 2007 in Japan, and worldwide publisher since 2013.

It was 2 1/2 years to rip out Jaws and open Diagon. This is definitely a more involved demo job. Depending on how involved the facade work is, I'm not even sure a 2019 is feasible or maybe even possible.

We don't know the amount of workers Universal will have the contractors hire to get it done. Its erronous to assume something will have the same timelines as another thing when they are other variables to consider. One variable is time. Universal may say screw it get as many builders as possible to get this together.

Universal managed to do Kong, Fallon, start work on F&F, and Volcano Bay all at the same time. I'm sure they can get Super Nintendo World done in 2 years.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
We don't know the amount of workers Universal will have the contractors hire to get it done. Its erronous to assume something will have the same timelines as another thing when they are other variables to consider. One variable is time. Universal may say screw it get as many builders as possible to get this together.

Universal managed to do Kong, Fallon, start work on F&F, and Volcano Bay all at the same time. I'm sure they can get Super Nintendo World done in 2 years.
They did get Transformers done in a little less than one year so putting that same around the clock work into a whole land I could see it being possible.

Universal was able to tear down a pretty chunky ride, and replace it with a technological marvel and an amazing setting in 2 years... at the same time building Transformers, Simpsons, Cabana Bay as well as the CityWalk redo.
They built a water park with a volcano, kong, Cabana expansion, and Sapphire at the same time.

They can do it.

The only other projects Nintendo will share would be F&F, Aventura, and those "other" things.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
Universal was able to tear down a pretty chunky ride, and replace it with a technological marvel and an amazing setting in 2 years... at the same time building Transformers, Simpsons, Cabana Bay as well as the CityWalk redo.
They built a water park with a volcano, kong, Cabana expansion, and Sapphire at the same time.

They can do it.

The only other projects Nintendo will share would be F&F, Aventura, and those "other" things.
Yes. And even F&F will be on it's final legs by late fall. Not much in the way of "full speed ahead".:thumbsup: The need to compete with SWL will spur them on. Otherwise they would be surrendering the year SWL opens.

Reactions: Mike S
Throwing a few hundred extra million and every construction worker South of Canada on 24 hour shifts at it to get it done in two years may sound nice here from the cheap seats, but in the real world there is no practical reason to do that. Putting this head to head with Star Wars opening is a bad idea. They aren't going to take attention away, they are just going to bury SNW. Regardless how the final products end up, Star Wars is the bigger deal and will get more media attention. I don't know how much of the Uni/Dis rivalry is real and how much is just message board created, but I'd about guarantee that Nintendo doesn't care about any rivalry. They aren't going to want the opening of their IP land getting buried in the news because it's opening against the biggest IP around. Not to mention, it appears that at least two of the rides will be new tech which has been a thorn in Uni's side. You guys really want them to rush this and have a repeat of Gringotts?

They let Star Wars open, maybe drop some artwork or an opening date as token resistance, but then open Nintendo 6 months later and get the full attention it deserves. Oh, and save a few hundred million dollars and extra man hours in the process, which can go towards opening up something else in the same time frame.

Throwing a few hundred extra million and every construction worker South of Canada on 24 hour shifts at it to get it done in two years may sound nice here from the cheap seats, but in the real world there is no practical reason to do that. Putting this head to head with Star Wars opening is a bad idea. They aren't going to take attention away, they are just going to bury SNW. Regardless how the final products end up, Star Wars is the bigger deal and will get more media attention. I don't know how much of the Uni/Dis rivalry is real and how much is just message board created, but I'd about guarantee that Nintendo doesn't care about any rivalry. They aren't going to want the opening of their IP land getting buried in the news because it's opening against the biggest IP around. Not to mention, it appears that at least two of the rides will be new tech which has been a thorn in Uni's side. You guys really want them to rush this and have a repeat of Gringotts?

They let Star Wars open, maybe drop some artwork or an opening date as token resistance, but then open Nintendo 6 months later and get the full attention it deserves. Oh, and save a few hundred million dollars and extra man hours in the process, which can go towards opening up something else in the same time frame.
This is more my line of thinking. I don't care if uni beats SWL to the punch but I am hoping it opens in the same year.

I completely agree. Going head to head with Star Wars is just dumb. Nintendo is a monster IP, but Star Wars is on a completely other level. Anyone who argues otherwise is simply delusional or biased. And everyone who loves Nintendo loves Star Wars. But everyone who loves Star Wars doesn't necessarily love Nintendo. Although they are both very similar demographics.
I'd wait a solid 6 months to a year and then come out with Nintendo world. Not only will that not let the bigger IP bury you- but if SNW comes out with better rides than SWL, that will be a nice undercut.

I completely agree. Going head to head with Star Wars is just dumb. Nintendo is a monster IP, but Star Wars is on a completely other level. Anyone who argues otherwise is simply delusional or biased. And everyone who loves Nintendo loves Star Wars. But everyone who loves Star Wars doesn't necessarily love Nintendo. Although they are both very similar demographics.
I'd wait a solid 6 months to a year and then come out with Nintendo world. Not only will that not let the bigger IP bury you- but if SNW comes out with better rides than SWL, that will be a nice undercut.

I agree. I think UNI should slow play their hand and instead of trying to push SNW forward, add something like the DC refurb/replacement in 2019 as a way of keeping on the promise of 1 new attraction/year.

I'd hate to see them try and rush, especially with all the supposed new tech with these rides and given that they still are trying to decide exactly what to do with the land (ET or no ET). IMHO its a much different land than Diagon where they were essentially recreating a three-dimensional world that existed in sets and actual locations versus this "interpretation" of a virtual world. If they don't take their time and get it right, it could be a disaster.

I agree. I think UNI should slow play their hand and instead of trying to push SNW forward, add something like the DC refurb/replacement in 2019 as a way of keeping on the promise of 1 new attraction/year.

You know- even more than just "1 attraction a year"- it would actually be smart to bring on a new HP attraction. The dark ride at DC doesn't have to be something groundbreaking- like SNW will need to be- just family friendly and good.

But from a marketing prospective- look at it as if you're trying to get the SW MASSIVE crowds to come visit universal while they are at Disney. They're going to get a slew of "casual" theme park fans going because of Star Wars- so you can grab them with the fact several have never seen the Harry Potter areas but have heard amazing things about them. Or at the very least have only seen hogsmeade. "Come to Orlando and see Star Wars and the new and improved Harry Potter area".

And the amazing thing about that is that the people seeing both Star Wars land and WWoHP for the first time in the same trip will look at HP as the much better area (because it's way bigger with the train and 2 lands). So as a comparison universal will come off as the better lands- even though it's unfair because one is one project and the other is 3 projects.

So they ultimately come off seeing volcano bay, all these other rides they didn't go on, and seeing that universal can do a land even better than Disney. And all of a sudden, they're booking a universal only trip when Nintendo land comes out the following year.

I really hope they go in that direction.

Reactions: fryoj and Mike S
I completely agree. Going head to head with Star Wars is just dumb. Nintendo is a monster IP, but Star Wars is on a completely other level. Anyone who argues otherwise is simply delusional or biased.

Question, is there any metric or examples of how Star Wars is the "largest IP" around? Call me biased but I see a lot of group think without much rigorous thought put into it. I see China as an example of how Star Wars isn't as strong outside of the USA as people think. It's possible, if not probable, I'm wrong but if I don't ask the questions then how do our discussions become stronger?

Also yes I'm dangerously tiptoeing around the purpose of this thread so when I get home tonight I might consolidate this discussion to the SWL thread.

Reactions: TDBLMT