Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 538 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My one issue with the original SNW is that everything felt so cluttered and messy, and certain things like Bowsers Castle and the ice hills felt super out of place. It makes sense to do that It’d work in a smaller space in an existing park, but it wouldn’t work here.

EDIT: I hate autocorrect

Last edited:
My one issue with the original SNW is that everything felt so cluttered and messy, and certain things like Bowsers Castle and the ice hills felt super out of place. It makes sense to do that I’m a smaller space in an existing park, but it wouldn’t work here.
Again, this is based on a sample image.

Reactions: Mike S
You guys know me,I'm a bit critical of Universal doing 'Different' . This isn't insider information but I thought I'd share this snippet with you all.

Well I fund out last night this project is going to be 'Badazz'. Take that for what you want but I trust this person.
The person couldn't tell ANY specifics and I respect that, but they said it will be 'World Changing' as far as theme parks go.

I'm saying this to say my own faith has been restored in Universal based on what I was able to be told. Their ability to give a franchise the Potter + treatment and wow us at the same time!
Zelda too I’d hope.
The land is still pretty small, without even looking at the images. The Mario series is all about visiting different worlds, but that isn’t really represented here.
Kind of hard to cram in different worlds and make it work on just a few acres.

I also wouldn't expect any additional "Worlds" added to the Mario land. I guess *maybe* a Luigi's Mansion area if they add a ride for that to the land (big IF). But the land will still look relatively similar to what we saw before.

I kinda hope not. If it were me designing the area, there’d be five separate areas: Bowsers Castle, Luigi’s Mansion/whatever, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi’s Island, and Peaches Castle/Mushroom Kingdom.

No, not every land will get a ride, or be that big, but it’d feel less chaotic that way.

Last edited:
Especially when Nintendo started looking at Universal's prototypes for it and said, "We want more."

I do find it quite interesting, how in the same plot previously they could fit ~10 attractions (Mario Kart, Luigi Mansion Interactive Play Area, Bowsers Koopaling Airship Ride, Kong Jungle Playground, Monkey Mines Madness Coaster, Kirby Round flat Ride, Kirby Wet Play Area, Pokemon Training Academy, Koopa Troop Spinning Shells, Bullet Bills Flying Ride, Hyrule Castle Attraction, Interactive Navi Experience, kokiri forest village) all in that area. Now if looking at the certain lineup that has been mentioned we would be down to 7 attractions (2 interactive Mario Playgrounds, 1 interactive DK playground, 1 DK attraction, Mario Kart, Yoshi Island dark ride, and Pikmin play area.) Essentially moved down to no flat rides and 1 additional play area.

In the previous Mario Kart area, they managed to put three attractions into an ever smaller area (Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Bowser's Airship).

So is Nintendo wanting more experiences and things to do within a small area or is the quality of the attractions in the reason of why Nintendo stated they wanted more?

Reactions: HPFred
^^^ The original plans had some rides with significantly less ambition in them than the updated plans that were moved to park 3. The budget for the added Yoshi ride probably ate up the budget for the smaller flats and side experiences like Luigi's Mansion.

Allegedly the Park 3 version of land will increase the ambition for some of the rides even more. We'll have to see if that's the case.

I do find it quite interesting, how in the same plot previously they could fit ~10 attractions (Mario Kart, Luigi Mansion Interactive Play Area, Bowsers Koopaling Airship Ride, Kong Jungle Playground, Monkey Mines Madness Coaster, Kirby Round flat Ride, Kirby Wet Play Area, Pokemon Training Academy, Koopa Troop Spinning Shells, Bullet Bills Flying Ride, Hyrule Castle Attraction, Interactive Navi Experience, kokiri forest village) all in that area. Now if looking at the certain lineup that has been mentioned we would be down to 7 attractions (2 interactive Mario Playgrounds, 1 interactive DK playground, 1 DK attraction, Mario Kart, Yoshi Island dark ride, and Pikmin play area.) Essentially moved down to no flat rides and 1 additional play area.

In the previous Mario Kart area, they managed to put three attractions into an ever smaller area (Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Bowser's Airship).

So is Nintendo wanting more experiences and things to do within a small area or is the quality of the attractions in the reason of why Nintendo stated they wanted more?
Smaller things were dropped (Zelda, Flat Rides, etc) in favor of much larger E-Ticket experiences. Donkey Kong went from a kiddie coaster outside in the pitch art to an E-Ticket half inside/half outside with AAs in the last pre-construction plans. Things like Zelda were put off for their own land. Pokemon training center probably dropped for same reason.

And I bet the 3 story concept for MK never made it out of the pitch phase for logistical reasons, which is how we lost the airship thing.

That pitch art was just that, a pitch. It was a "hey, look what we can do with your IPs" and it worked and got them the rights, but it was never final in any way shape or form.

Okay, thank you for those answers...I was just trying to figure out the thought process.

I think as things went from the blue sky pitch to the actual plans we see, Nintendo probably felt confident in Universal, and decided to really go for the moon with separate lands for Pokemon and Zelda. Not unlike what we'll see when WWOHP is complete.

It's an insanely exciting time. I really, really cannot even imagine what these lands will all look like when complete

Wait, how many play areas were there? I thought that there was two?
There was only the Mushroom Kingdom one on the last plans for KidZone as far I knew. The Donkey Kong one was likely planned as future expansion, but wasn’t going to open originally with the land.

However, the Mushroom Kingdom one was split into different zones and had different “activities” at each.

Plus, there was to be interactive elements spread around the entire land.

If Luigi’s Mansion isn’t added to the day 1 roster I could easily see it as Mario’s first expansion. The first game is getting a remake soon and a third game will likely come to Switch at some point due to the relative success of the second on 3DS. The fact Luigi is Mario’s brother is what puts his series in the ranks of a real possible attraction in my eyes, even above things like Kirby and Animal Crossing.

Reactions: Magic-Man
There was only the Mushroom Kingdom one on the last plans for KidZone as far I knew. The Donkey Kong one was likely planned as future expansion, but wasn’t going to open originally with the land.

However, the Mushroom Kingdom one was split into different zones and had different “activities” at each.

Plus, there was to be interactive elements spread around the entire land.

Really hoping something Camp Jurassic-level ends up happening for DK with the move to Park 3.