Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Old School" Universal Orlando

How exactly were Islands of Adventure, the three hotels, CityWalk, and the parking garage built simultaneously? Based off overviews, Hard Rock Hotel and CityWalk were on former-parking-lot-ground- did they build the parking garage before tearing-away the parking-lot, then shuffle guests through a tight corridor in the midst of the construction? Or what?

Hi Everybody!

Yes its the good doctor posting again on the boards, Kevin told me to post in this thread to give my two cents about "Old School" at Universal... First off let me do a mini background on me for those who dont know me....

My name is Charles and I've been going to Universal on and off since the spring of 1990. So I seen my fair share of changes, as well see were stuff looks the same over the last 19yrs. I used to post regularly on Ioacentral, but now a lurker, and I lurk here from time to time reading misc post.. I now post full time on the Vault, and if you read or post over the boards you know who I'am already by my screen name.. Anyways enough with that, here are two pics for you guys and gals...

21044150.jpg

Commercial for Universal Studios Florida, 1990
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOt_8Ng3rw

Commercial for Universal Studios Florida, 1995
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EIF626L46M&feature=related

Video of Universal Studios Florida, 1990 (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vrdpks8gTc&feature=fvw

Video of Universal Studios Florida, 1990 (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfpZNP-qNw&feature=related

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, 1990's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfpZNP-qNw&feature=related

There are plenty more here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TELEVISIONARCHIVES#g/u
(These are not my videos all credit goes to TELEVISIONARCHIVES on Youtube)

DSC00082.jpg

^ The "special gift" listed on the Passholder Newsletter. This was given out at the final ride. :(

DSC00084.jpg

^ R.I.P to both impeccable and memorable attractions.

DSC00085.jpg

^ I remember getting covered head to toe..... IN SLIME. :(

More to come later......

EDIT: I have two of the Kong dolls. I have no idea about selling them, but eh.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody!

Yes its the good doctor posting again on the boards, Kevin told me to post in this thread to give my two cents about "Old School" at Universal... First off let me do a mini background on me for those who dont know me....

My name is Charles and I've been going to Universal on and off since the spring of 1990. So I seen my fair share of changes, as well see were stuff looks the same over the last 19yrs. I used to post regularly on Ioacentral, but now a lurker, and I lurk here from time to time reading misc post.. I now post full time on the Vault, and if you read or post over the boards you know who I'am already by my screen name.. Anyways enough with that, here are two pics for you guys and gals...

21044150.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I really do miss the Ghostbusters attraction.

Nice to see ya around these parts again.

It was moved to the Nickelodeon Suites hotel in Orlando.

Here is what it looks like at the hotel:
timecapsule2.jpg

Is this still there? If not, did they ever say what was in it?

I desperately miss the Studios, Hanna-Barbera, BttF, and Kong.

Hanna-Barbera was my favorite ride for soo long when I was younger.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

It was moved to the Nickelodeon Suites hotel in Orlando.

Here is what it looks like at the hotel:
timecapsule2.jpg

Thanks, I won a week stay there a few years back, didn't see it.

Is this still there? If not, did they ever say what was in it?

I desperately miss the Studios, Hanna-Barbera, BttF, and Kong.

Hanna-Barbera was my favorite ride for soo long when I was younger.

It was moved to the Nickelodeon Suites hotel in Orlando and includes a new Nintendo Game Boy, an issue of Nickelodeon Magazine, a Home Alone VHS tape, clips of Nickelodeon station IDs and various other toys. The picture was taken in 2009(not by me).

^It's good to see it was relocated instead of just being discarded or stashed away in some random building on Universal's property.

My first time going to Universal Studios Florida was in 2003 when I was only nine-years-old, so not too much has changed since then. However, five photos that have some differences between 2003 and today:

2003daytonabeach030.jpg

2003daytonabeach034.jpg

2003daytonabeach035.jpg

2003daytonabeach036.jpg

(Do they still have any of these trick photo spots in the park? I know this one's gone)

2003daytonabeach052.jpg

TombraiderTy said:
(Do they still have any of these trick photo spots in the park? I know this one's gone)

I've never figured out how they work. Anyone care to help?

Last edited:
To try and explain it, which I'll probably fail at, it's just an oddly-shaped cut-out that guests pose under. By angling a camera in the right direction, it makes it look like the cut-out is perfectly placed on top of a building. So it looks like a space shuttle is on top of the old Back to the Future ride, for example. The city one is more unique, making it look like the buildings are behind the buildings instead. It's the same thing though- a cut-out that appears to rest on top of pre-existing structures.

Make sense? Or should I try and make a picture of one in Paint? :p

^Are you sure? Cause the description I typed seems pretty confusing :p

A couple more photos from 2003 of things that have since changed:

2003daytonabeach026.jpg

BTTF vehicle, in front of the current Kwik-E-Mart

2003daytonabeach028.jpg

Animal Planet Live

2003daytonabeach029.jpg

Animal Planet Live

2003daytonabeach032.jpg

This is from before Revenge of the Mummy opened... anyone know where it was?