Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Old School" Universal Orlando

^Are you sure? Cause the description I typed seems pretty confusing :p

A couple more photos from 2003 of things that have since changed:

2003daytonabeach026.jpg

BTTF vehicle, in front of the current Kwik-E-Mart

2003daytonabeach028.jpg

Animal Planet Live

2003daytonabeach029.jpg

Animal Planet Live

2003daytonabeach032.jpg

This is from before Revenge of the Mummy opened... anyone know where it was?

I have pics from my first trip to Universal ever back in 2002, and I have pictures of the Animal Planet live show. The guy in your pictures was the same guy I had.

I also remember that Mummy display. Good times.

How exactly were Islands of Adventure, the three hotels, CityWalk, and the parking garage built simultaneously? Based off overviews, Hard Rock Hotel and CityWalk were on former-parking-lot-ground- did they build the parking garage before tearing-away the parking-lot, then shuffle guests through a tight corridor in the midst of the construction? Or what?

Something like that. They built the first half of the parking garage building so they could empty the old parking lots where IOA and Citywalk is sitting today.
This old pic shows one of those tight corridors to take guests to the new parking building. I'm not sure but I think the Universal globe was moved to a temporary location as shown here.

usfglobe001.jpg

ufproper.jpg

I wish I had my original USF pics, no idea were they are ex-wife ended up with all pics. I had a great pic of me beside the jaws model. Some one posted a picture of the original boneyard before.

Also when they open the time capsule in 2042 Universal will be opening the Twilight attraction that year.

Something like that. They built the first half of the parking garage building so they could empty the old parking lots where IOA and Citywalk is sitting today.
This old pic shows one of those tight corridors to take guests to the new parking building. I'm not sure but I think the Universal globe was moved to a temporary location as shown here.

You are absolutely correct. I remember those days well and you could not see anything after exiting the parking lot. Both garages were built long before CityWalk and IOA were done I believe. The only time you saw the construction was when you were moving on the people movers. Once you reached the exit that leads past the movie theater today, it was all covered by a very tall construction wall. It was like walking through a weird, tight wooden tunnel. It went the entire length of the walk from the garage to Universal. I recall seeing one section painted with artwork of CityWalk. Of course, they also had the giant hourglass in the rotunda in the garage too.

I love this thread to death by the way.

Of course, they also had the giant hourglass in the rotunda in the garage too.

Wow, I remember the hourglass. :lol:

I remember seeing construction for this back around 1998. I saw the red & blue tracks up in the sky and was excited righy away, without knowing anything of what it was. My interest in the new park is essentially my start in the theme park world.

Here is a great video for anyone interested in Universal when it first opened. Here's the description: "Universal Studios Florida - a 1990 Tour by Martin

Universal Studios 1990 - a tour. Includes the original park layout, clips of The Ghostbusters attraction, Phantom of the Opera Make Up, original Tram Tour, Bates Motel, original Hard Rock Cafe and more. Lots of concept art and aerial shots, and multi camera full ridethrus of Earthquake, King Kong and ET. Also includes the full, unedited ORIGINAL Jaws ride (what was working) and a multi camera edit of the Dynamite Nights Stunt Show on the lagoon during the day, and also the night time version too."

http://www.mousebits.com/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=331ceabf79cf8328860b5444ab6c7eb840d99c2a

This video is awsome!! Brings me way back lol

It truly is awesome to see all these pictures and videos you guys are posting. I really miss Universal Studios Florida back in the day. I wish they'd make a classic park with all the attractions they took out. :lol: :(

I don't know if anyof you would agree with me, but I really feel Today's Universal with its empty buildings and so on just feels like the whole park is missing alot like its Bob's Fun Park or something. I think if they could run the park today like they did back then it would be a whole different park now.