Old Vs New HHN | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Old Vs New HHN

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I believe 2013 was the year they removed the nurses, because I remember them announcing the heart shaped jello shots instead of the blood bags (I dont know if it was an actual announcement of it, but I remember seeing pictures) and it was the year I turned 21 so I dont think I ever had the luxury. I’m pretty sure there was also talks of the nurses having already been hired when they decided to cut it.

I do recall fireball and maybe other shots being an option in the queues for a few years after that though.
For a similar reason I *think* 2014 was the last year for the nurses, as our group had finally just all turned 21 as well and it was our first year being able to drink at the event (I have a picture of a friend with one of the nurses from that year at least, haha) Not that it matters too much, semantics and all, lol, they were not long for the world once we were finally able to partake

Reactions: amar831
I just wish they had nights where tickets cost more and let in less people

I'll be going to HHN a lot this year but not sure how much I will do each night now that they have EA and so many people are let in...but I'm open to being fun but last year was insane like without express no idea on most nights how you could have fun

I'll be going to HHN a lot this year but not sure how much I will do each night now that they have EA and so many people are let in...but I'm open to being fun but last year was insane like without express no idea on most nights how you could have fun

But as of this year, they do! They're offering the premium night in Orlando which appears to be exactly what you're asking for!

(If you're talking about Hollywood, I'm afraid you aren't in the right thread!)

But as of this year, they do! They're offering the premium night in Orlando which appears to be exactly what you're asking for!

(If you're talking about Hollywood, I'm afraid you aren't in the right thread!)
That really great to hear, I hope its successful and comes to the west.

My comment didn't come from a place of moderation.

The graph is missing a broader context when evaluating the value of HHN tickets and their relation to its offerings.

The data should include factors such as the expansion of the Food & Drink offerings, the Tribute Store, investments in free entertainment across the Resort, Universal's reliance on popular IPs in the lineup, quality of zones/makeup/props/facades, and the fluctuation of the dollar's value over the past decade. Since there's no accurate way to apply a true value to those offerings, it's hard to really conclude anything - and without this additional information, it's difficult to accurately determine the true value of each ticket. The graph doesn't offer enough data to conclusively demonstrate its impact on the guest experience. Some argue that HHN tickets have historically been undervalued so a 32% increase over 10 years, while considering inflation, doesn't seem too crazy. The only significant increase was for the Express pass – a luxury - that is not a necessity for attending the event.
Like anything, there's more to the story/numbers to pull from, I'm simply providing a clean look at the numbers with easy to understand/relevant data. My analysis excludes F&B offerings and the tribute store/merchandise since those are up-charge experiences not included in your ticket (But since you mentioned - the price of a lanyard back at HHN 27 was $11, now it's $15-16 + $8 for the pouch that originally came included... so a nice 109% price hike since then lol).

I specifically highlighted HHN 28-33 since those years are comparable when it comes to the IP lineup and the number of offerings. My graph excludes inflation adjustments in the name of keeping things simple. My graph wasn't meant to be conclusive, we all have opinions on the quality of the event, it's meant to be a reference point for arguing towards improved capacity/operations at the event.

I'm one of those that have argued that HHN tickets have been severely undervalued for years (I think any multi-night pass should not be packaged with express), my argument is around the lack of capacity added to accommodate crowds since then. I understand that price increases are a tool to combat crowds, but people are still flocking in through the gates in droves. Just increasing pricing while keeping capacity at the same level is not an effective long-term strategy. People love the event, but last year there were considerable complaints on YouTube/Twitter/elsewhere about how busy the event has become (to the point you have to queue up for the 1 available stage show).

Express is not a necessity, I included it in my analysis to show how much more valuable it has become with how popular the event is now. (Look at how pricing changes dramatically at HHN 31 for express).

The event is still, like always, producing great content... I just think the event needs to expand now (just like they do every few years) to accommodate modern crowds.

I would argue the biggest change from "classic" to "new" HHN is how much less they push alcohol these days (no, kids under 27, really!). You'd walk in, "Ice ... Cold ... Beer!!!" guy was right there before you saw a single scare. "Naughty" nurses with Jell-O shot syringes everywhere--at least a dozen scattered throughout the park. At least one beer cart in every queue, and by every exit. Specialty shots in addition to specialty drinks. And lots of drunk food to go with it (basic greasy stuff like pizza and twisted taters, nothing themed, but still).

Your admission fee was basically a cover charge to the world's coolest Halloween bar.
oh man you could hear their call from a mile away.
JEEEEELLLLOOOOOOOOO SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

I miss the Jeckyl and Hyde, that stuff was good, but you had to be real careful with it.

And you left out the Yards on a Lanyard :cheers:

They should run the premium nights during weeks 4-8 on Tuesdays instead of prior to opening day. The actors are comfortable by then and can provide a far better experience before we see SAs drop out later in the event.

Yet as the event expanded, and prices went up - crowds are still busy.
... so either offer more things to do to accommodate those crowds or actually cap attendance.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
They should run the premium nights during weeks 4-8 on Tuesdays instead of prior to opening day. The actors are comfortable by then and can provide a far better experience before we see SAs drop out later in the event.
Earlier is better. Later in the event is when you run into major scheduling conflicts. Typically, about a third of the cast or swings each night by that point. If you want THE cast for everything, prior to opening is the only time you’ll get it.

Reactions: Brian G. and Jake S
oh man you could hear their call from a mile away.
JEEEEELLLLOOOOOOOOO SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

I miss the Jeckyl and Hyde, that stuff was good, but you had to be real careful with it.

And you left out the Yards on a Lanyard :cheers:
you reminded me of the "jello shots" yelling lol :lol: that was always funny. I miss that as well

sometimes the house queue - lines feel terribly empty without them,

Last edited:
... so either offer more things to do to accommodate those crowds or actually cap attendance.
I mean - they've done both - and it didn't help.

And this year they're increasing prices and capping multi-night dramatically.

Last year the complaint was "express isn't express", food lines are too long, and crowded streets. It's too early to see what they're doing for traffic and food but their adjustments this year seems to be focused on that.

I mean, why? The event is still working for most attendees. That’s why we keep going.
Us fans, myself included, will continue to go each year and admire the content. But, last year there were considerable/negative reviews of the event on how ridicously busy it's become and how unenjoyable it can get during peak times.

I wouldn't say HHN is working for most guests when only less than half of attendees can experience the single show offered at HHN without having to wait half an hour in advance. Waits will always be ridiculous for IP houses, that's inevitable, but last year was a big wow moment when they had to setup a queue for HNF.

Earlier is better. Later in the event is when you run into major scheduling conflicts. Typically, about a third of the cast or swings each night by that point. If you want THE cast for everything, prior to opening is the only time you’ll get it.
While your right when it comes to conflicts later in the run, their might be a few "whales" that would be attracted going to HHN on a slow night when it's a bit closer to Halloween (and cooler). I love Halloween, but there's something off about seeing pumpkins in August. I can't imagine they're attracting much of the GP to this general public outside of HHN fans/vloggers. If they want this to become a multi-night experience, they'll need to offer it later in the run.

Edit to respond to Brian's comment:
Like I mentioned earlier, people still love HHN and the parks and will find a way to attend the event somehow. It's the same situation the Disney parks are in. They continually raise prices as a way to cap attendance, but people still show up. The way to fix that is to increase the park's attraction capacity through additional offerings. I understand that there are logistical challenges when it comes to daytime ops, but for an event that can rack up $150M+ revenue in just 2 months, (excluding any hotel revenue), they can certainly find a solution. Heck, Universal finally invested in proper queue space for flood-prone areas that are only needed 2 months a year.

Last edited:
Us fans, myself included, will continue to go each year and admire the content. But, last year there were considerable/negative reviews of the event on how ridicously busy it's become and how unenjoyable it can get during peak times.

I wouldn't say HHN is working for most guests when only less than half of attendees can experience the single show offered at HHN without having to wait half an hour in advance. Waits will always be ridiculous for IP houses, that's inevitable, but last year was a big wow moment when they had to setup a queue for HNF.
If attendance actually craters this year, I’ll agree with you.

The way to fix that is to increase the park's attraction capacity through additional offerings. I understand that there are logistical challenges when it comes to daytime ops, but for an event that can rack up $150M+ revenue in just 2 months, (excluding any hotel revenue), they can certainly find a solution. Heck, Universal finally invested in proper queue space for flood-prone areas that are only needed 2 months a year.
This is why I suggested you drop it. :lol: I'll agree with @Jake S here. Let's see what happens this year and then we can circle back.

Reactions: Jake S
If attendance actually craters this year, I’ll agree with you.
I'm not expecting attendance to crater. My expectation is for a minor drop in attendance, but improved stand-by queues from reduced express supply (and adjustments to DAS from last year). Like I mentioned, people will still attendance HHN... question is if people actually enjoy the event less because of the crowds.

This is why I suggested you drop it. :lol: I'll agree with @Jake S here. Let's see what happens this year and then we can circle back.
I've been saying this for a while now (since 31), it's not exclusive to last year's HHN. I just finally got all the data and put it together prior to this year's event.

I'm not expecting attendance to crater. My expectation is for a minor drop in attendance, but improved stand-by queues from reduced express supply (and adjustments to DAS from last year). Like I mentioned, people will still attendance HHN... question is if people actually enjoy the event less because of the crowds.

I've been saying this for a while now (since 31), it's not exclusive to last year's HHN. I just finally got all the data and put it together prior to this year's event.

Asking sincerely: What is "all the data," in your view?

Reactions: Brian G.
While your right when it comes to conflicts later in the run, their might be a few "whales" that would be attracted going to HHN on a slow night when it's a bit closer to Halloween (and cooler). I love Halloween, but there's something off about seeing pumpkins in August. I can't imagine they're attracting much of the GP to this general public outside of HHN fans/vloggers. If they want this to become a multi-night experience, they'll need to offer it later in the run.
Who said they want Premiere night to be multi-night experience?

Cynically, I think it’s actually a way to monetize (and therefore justify) an extra rehearsal night beyond Employee Preview, which has been needed since the event’s inception. Because an extra rehearsal will improve the performances and operations of the event drastically when it comes to opening weekend.

Reactions: amar831 and Jake S