Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 285 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of F&B/Merch shouldn't really be a concern for us guests. It has nothing to do with the immersiveness of the land. It is a big part of PotterWorld because it is a big part of the source material. It wasn't a thing on Pandora so it shouldn't be a thing in Pandora: DAK Ed. The only people that should be concerned about it are Disney and how on earth are they gonna recoup a bazillion $$$ without selling a **** ton of crap.

Last edited:
The lack of F&B/Merch shouldn't really be a concern for us guests. It has nothing to do with the immersiveness of the land. It is a big part of PotterWorld because it is a big part of the source material. It wasn't a thing on Pandora so it shouldn't be in Pandora: DAK Ed. The only people that should be concerned about it is Disney and how on earth they are gonna recoup a bazillion $$$ without selling a **** ton of crap.
Well they did spread that Billion over about 12 Fiscal quarters so that had to help. I still smell a write-off coming though.

I really hope they come up with some animatronic AMP suit in this land and not just that static one outside the store with a grass skirt on it.

That would be a big interactive miss on Disney's part, think Raptor experience at Universal...

The lack of F&B/Merch shouldn't really be a concern for us guests. It has nothing to do with the immersiveness of the land. It is a big part of PotterWorld because it is a big part of the source material. It wasn't a thing on Pandora so it shouldn't be a thing in Pandora: DAK Ed. The only people that should be concerned about it are Disney and how on earth are they gonna recoup a bazillion $$$ without selling a **** ton of crap.

All that ROL merch

The lack of F&B/Merch shouldn't really be a concern for us guests. It has nothing to do with the immersiveness of the land.

The only people that should be concerned about it are Disney and how on earth are they gonna recoup a bazillion $$$ without selling a **** ton of crap.

Yep. Unless some of us own a lot of Disney stock, or work for the company, this continued obsession with the question of "How will Disney ever make back its investment?!" seems a bit out-of-place. Let's see what the land and attractions end up being, and if they're good, we should be able to enjoy them with hand-wringing over the financials. That's not really within our purview.

Yep. Unless some of us own a lot of Disney stock, or work for the company, this continued obsession with the question of "How will Disney ever make back its investment?!" seems a bit out-of-place. Let's see what the land and attractions end up being, and if they're good, we should be able to enjoy them with hand-wringing over the financials. That's not really within our purview.

Uhhhhhh yes it affects us. Like with Everest or Disneyland Paris, if an attraction doesn't recoup costs things are cut and not built. We need to stop pretending Disney can spend whatever they want with no side effects to guests.

Uhhhhhh yes it affects us. Like with Everest or Disneyland Paris, if an attraction doesn't recoup costs things are cut and not built. We need to stop pretending Disney can spend whatever they want with no side effects to guests.

I'm not disputing that, but in the case of Pandora, the deed is done. There's nothing we can do about it. The thing is built, it's happening. We can second guess the initial decision all day long, but that has no bearing on the land being any good. If it's good, I'm going to enjoy it, and my enjoyment will not be tempered by whether or not I think Disney should have built it at the price they did.

ETA: Just for the sake of full disclosure, I think Disney overspends on all their theme park projects, and they need to get that under control.

Reactions: twebber55 and Nick
I'm not disputing that, but in the case of Pandora, the deed is done. There's nothing we can do about it. The thing is built, it's happening. We can second guess the initial decision all day long, but that has no bearing on the land being any good. If it's good, I'm going to enjoy it, and my enjoyment will not be tempered by whether or not I think Disney should have built it at the price they did.

ETA: Just for the sake of full disclosure, I think Disney overspends on all their theme park projects, and they need to get that under control.
This probably explains how I feel too. I don't go into things hating it because Disney spent too much. It's already done and nothing we can do about it. Disney is gonna do what they are gonna do afterwards, but i'm gonna enjoy the land if it's good too.

We can love the land but also be cognizant & fearful of future cuts on other projects if it doesn't make it's money back. Those feelings don't have to be separated. I'm sure I will really like Pandora, I've said that from the beginning, and I sure hope it brings in tons of attendance and they sell lots of whatever food & merch they come up with, so they don't get gun shy from future spending. But then there's the awful reality looming over this project when we look at WDW's recent history. And that reality ain't rock work pretty.

Reactions: twebber55 and Nick
We can love the land but also be cognizant & fearful of future cuts on other projects if it doesn't make it's money back. Those feelings don't have to be separated. I'm sure I will really like Pandora, I've said that from the beginning, and I sure hope it brings in tons of attendance and they sell lots of whatever food & merch they come up with, so they don't get gun shy from future spending. But then there's the awful reality looming over this project when we look at WDW's recent history. And that reality ain't rock work pretty.

Animal Kingdom already is having issues according to someone on another board stating that food and merch is being cannibalized by Disney Springs as guests would rather eat and buy things there than in the parks. So that also may end up hurting Pandora in that realm.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I fully agree with what you're saying.

I'm more optimistic about WDW's future than I have been in a long time with rampant rumors running across for all parks and now a rumored gondola system. We'll see what kind of financial impact Pandora has on future projects going forward I guess.

Animal Kingdom already is having issues according to someone on another board stating that food and merch is being cannibalized by Disney Springs as guests would rather eat and buy things there than in the parks. So that also may end up hurting Pandora in that realm.
Yep, and guess what Pandora will do to DHS for the next year. Disney had that same problem with Everest just cannibalizing the other parks instead of bringing new attendance in. That will be the true test of Pandora. Will it bring in new money to the entire WDW resort, or will it just spread around existing money. Guess we'll start finding out in a few months which of the two it is. I hope it's new money & new tourists, but I have some doubts. But I'll try to stay positive in the meantime and hope the new tourists come in droves.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The full benefits might not be felt until Star Wars brings in the guests.

Atleast Animal Kingdom will be more built out to accommodate guests when attendence does rise, resort wide. I'm hopeful Disney has big plans beyond this across all four parks. They're all criminally under built, other than Epcot, which is terribly dated.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Yep, and guess what Pandora will do to DHS for the next year. Disney had that same problem with Everest just cannibalizing the other parks instead of bringing new attendance in. That will be the true test of Pandora. Will it bring in new money to the entire WDW resort, or will it just spread around existing money. Guess we'll start finding out in a few months which of the two it is. I hope it's new money & new tourists, but I have some doubts. But I'll try to stay positive in the meantime and hope the new tourists come in droves.
I wouldn't be so sure that DHS is going to see a downtick next year considering TSL is a much more marketable brand than Avatar. Now will DHS see a big dip this year? You bet.

The question is once SWL opens, will crowds *actually* grow or will they simply balance out between parks?

Crowds will grow massively with Star Wars, without question

Think Potter...but with 40 years fan base rather than 15

Crowds hopefully will grow for Star Wars but there are so many other factors that need to be considered before Star Wars even opens. Right now overwhelming success isn't guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.