Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 284 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Avatar, like Carsland, adapts great to a theme park land.

Except it's missing two of the key things that Carsland has that makes it successful: Merch that will fly off the shelf and (at least so far) any semblance of unique foods.

I'm done with this pointless conversation now. I've already said many times that i'm looking forward to the land but you keep defending it like i'm vilifying it.
i m discussing it not vilifying you

The point is that although they are being installed for different reasons for the park, why should that mean that as a whole people shouldn't compare the two. To me it just comes across as "because Disney are doing XY and Z here, its fine for Avatar to be slightly less impressive than other areas and for there to be less put into it" which to me at least shouldn't be the way things are looked at.
I think they should compare the two. But like I said- limit it to the immersion and focus on the lands themselves, and rides, etc.
Those saying the motives were to be "Disney's version of Harry Potter" I believe are very mistaken and misguided.
I don't think Disney went into it thinking "how many glowing milk shakes and stuffed banshees can we sell?" I think a plethora of things went into play that are obvious- such as wanting to sell dining packages at Tusker house and increasing DAK attendance, spending, and time spent as a whole.
But also more indirect things- like the dropping of MSEP and the "new MK fireworks show" that will cost less and have less pyrotechnics. Push those crowds to DAK and not only do we not have to spend a dime at MK- but we can reduce our nighttime offerings and money spent towards that in the process.
Doing this Potter-Pandora motives comparison is simply a fallacy. And it's annoying because it always becomes some desperate attempt to "prove" a way that Disney is somehow failing at this expansion- instead of simply relishing in the new offerings. If internally they see no additional time spent at DAK, and we see no increase in attendance at DAK, then it's a failure. But we simply don't know that will be the case.

What I can't wait for is to walk into the land- and then ride the rides- and see how everything stacks up vs WWoHP. Wand interaction, gringotts, butterbeer, etc will likely still make me favor WWoHP overall- but I want to give Pandora a fair shake- and I believe it will be the most beautiful theme park land in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Owen and twebber55
Doing this Potter-Pandora motives comparison is simply a fallacy.
What I can't wait for is to walk into the land- and then ride the rides- and see how everything stacks up vs WWoHP. Wand interaction, gringotts, butterbeer, etc will likely still make me favor WWoHP overall- but I want to give Pandora a fair shake- and I believe it will be the most beautiful theme park land in the world.

Which is how I see it, if you are literally just comparing why the parks are actually choosing to use these brands (not that I think anyone is) then yes, it is pointless as none of us will know why they decided to bring these in for definite. However, what I am saying is the range of entertainment, shops and eating establishments do indeed come into "everything". I don't think anyone has the intention of not giving Avatar the benefit of the doubt with myself and other members saying on numerous occasions that they are excited for the land, however you can't deny that as a whole Potter provides more to the experience than Avatar which is a comparable feature. Why the park have chosen to do each thing is irrelevant when actually comparing the experience you have, and it is completely valid people are nervous about this because of the current uncertainty of Pandora being a place where you don't just go in to ride the rides and have done with it. So as a whole I think we are agreeing?

Edit - I see where you're coming from now. I only think people are saying this is Disney's answer to Potter is because its similar in what it is (a large area based on an IP) not necessarily saying it should have a similar impact in terms of numbers. That being said I am still concerned with the Avatar offering regardless of Potter, and I think that's a fair concern a few people have. Ultimately, I think Star Wars will be the one that goes head to head with Potter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
What IP does disney own or can get to be somewhat similar to Diagon? Where Disney can make numerous shops & dining.

Came fairly close with Radiator Springs. But as I posted a month or so ago, such IPs are few and far between, usually literature-based.

Begs the question tho, why ape Diagon? Disney used to be about innovation. Rather than playing copycat, come up with the next theme park concept.

Yes, Avatar, like Carsland, adapts great to a theme park land.

Except it's missing two of the key things that Carsland has that makes it successful: Merch that will fly off the shelf and (at least so far) any semblance of unique foods.

I'm done with this pointless conversation now. I've already said many times that i'm looking forward to the land but you keep defending it like i'm vilifying it.

What unique food items were in the Cars movies?

The merchandise is easily Disney's biggest hurdle. The one benefit being that you can't buy "Avatar" merch anywhere anymore, so they have some real exclusivity. Unlike say Star Wars, Potter, etc that are still hot properties in Walmart/Target etc. If people want Avatar merch, this will be the only place in the world to get it.

Here's the thing...the additions to the park are increasing park hours by 4-6 hours (not sure of exact hours yet) this means you have more people staying in the park longer into dinner hours, where people spend money. Dinner, dessert, snacks, night time souvenirs...therein lit's the money maker. People will want to stay in the park even after an early showing of Rivers of Light to look at how Pandora transforms in the evening. More people staying until close means average money spent per guest increases.

As far as the land itself goes, I've never seen Disney do anything as beautiful as what they've done here. It truly is Disney at their best. Guests are going to want to spend a lot of time in Pandora.

Last edited:
What unique food items were in the Cars movies?
You misunderstood (or I misspoke).

The land itself has unique food items, which yes, can easily be done with Pandora. However, if you read what I said, I said that Avatar "had yet to show any semblance of unique food items".

Maybe it will, but so far we have nothing to suggest anything to look forward to on that front.

Here's the thing...the additions to the park are increasing park hours by 4-6 hours (not sure of exact hours yet) this means you have more people staying in the park longer into dinner hours, where people spend money. Dinner, dessert, snacks, night time souvenirs...therein lit's the money maker. People will want to stay in the park even after an early showing of Rivers of Light to look at how Pandora transforms in the evening. More people staying until close means average money spent per guest increases.

As far as the land itself goes, I've never seen Disney do anything as beautiful as what they've done here. It truly is Disney at their best. Guests are going to want to spend a lot of time in Pandora.
Tiffins and the Nomad Lounge should be packed throughout the summer at least.

Up until this point, Nomad Lounge has been more of a locals hangout within the park as it's fairly hidden, but once traffic starts getting driven through back there it should become a pretty busy place.

The land itself has unique food items, which yes, can easily be done with Pandora. However, if you read what I said, I said that Avatar "had yet to show any semblance of unique food items".

Maybe it will, but so far we have nothing to suggest anything to look forward to on that front.

Did they announce the Cars food items three months before it opened? I agree Cars had a distinct merch advantage over Avatar, but on the food side, I'd say that Avatar is more adaptable to food than Cars. I mean at least the characters in Avatar eat. Cars don't eat.

i agree about the food
it will be interesting to see if the food is burgers and chick fingers or more pandoran ish whatever that is

Did they announce the Cars food items three months before it opened? I agree Cars had a distinct merch advantage over Avatar, but on the food side, I'd say that Avatar is more adaptable to food than Cars. I mean at least the characters in Avatar eat. Cars don't eat.

Did you just mech assume?!?!

No but in all reality - they did do a blog about the Cozy Cones and the special drink over there a few months before opening. We're still in the timeline for them to do so with Avatar.

Reactions: Joel
agree on the merch movies about conservation dont resignate with 8 year old boys like cars does
i do think Avatar was a much bigger deal from a movie/event stand point especially internationally

Reactions: Andysol
i agree about the food
it will be interesting to see if the food is burgers and chick fingers or more pandoran ish whatever that is

Banshee Wings? They could about name any meat item after one of the animals really. Granted it'll still be beef, pork, chicken, etc, but theres at least avenues for food. I like the idea someone had about a glowing milkshake. Really a glowing drink of some sort does make a lot of sense. I'd assume it would be the cup itself that glows(upsell), unless there is a non-toxic glowing liquid that I'm not thinking of.

Did you just mech assume?!?!

No but in all reality - they did do a blog about the Cozy Cones and the special drink over there a few months before opening. We're still in the timeline for them to do so with Avatar.

Only about the snowflake edition Prius....

But yeah, I didn't know when they started rolling out Cars info. There will be signature food/drinks here. Only makes sense to make it part of the pre-opening marketing

agree on the merch movies about conservation dont resignate with 8 year old boys like cars does
i do think Avatar was a much bigger deal from a movie/event stand point especially internationally

If this land doesn't end up in China at some point, I'll be shocked.

Reactions: twebber55
I actually think Cars had a significant advantage over Avatar when it comes to food.

Cars had Flo's V8 Cafe. It has had The Cozy Cone motel... 'Cone' being in the name provided an obvious way to serve food.

The only time we see people eating in Avatar is in the Mess Hall (which is what we're getting), but it's all fairly pedestrian. I'm sure they'll come up with something, the issue is that Butterbeer sells so good because it was a staple of the books/movies. What is going to make a specialty drink/snack sell great in Pandora? It better be damn good.

i agree about the food
Agreed, as I said above, i'm sure they'll come up with something. As to what it is though is the question.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I actually think Cars had a significant advantage over Avatar when it comes to food.

Cars had Flo's V8 Cafe. It has had The Cozy Cone motel... 'Cone' being in the name provided an obvious way to serve food.

The only time we see people eating in Avatar is in the Mess Hall (which is what we're getting), but it's all fairly pedestrian. I'm sure they'll come up with something, the issue is that Butterbeer sells so good because it was a staple of the books/movies. What is going to make a specialty drink/snack sell great in Pandora? It better be damn good.

Agreed, as I said above, i'm sure they'll come up with something. As to what it is though is the question.

We do see Jake eat a local fruit, and they do kill an animal for the purposes for eating. But since we only have a mess hall, will that matter? Will they go all army related food items or will they do local foods? I'm not saying they are much better off than Cars. At worst, they are in the same boat. They have a location. But for a unique item already in the movies? Neither had anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.