Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually was looking forward to Pandora. It could make suuuuch an awesome attraction and atmosphere. I have a feeling it isn't going away either. If it were canceled, however, South America with an UP attraction could work. Rumormill at DAK last I checked-which was yesterday-says that, on top of J-Cricket and Pocahontas already leaving, Rafiki is slated to leave Planet Watch as well. Speculation is that RPW may become the new character meet-and-greet hub which would indicate that Camp Minnie-Mickey might not be around too much longer. Just word on the street, so take from it what you will.

I would DIE if we got a good UP attraction :lol:

I would DIE if we got a good UP attraction :lol:

Rumor is also that Flik is getting the boot from his location in front of his attraction in place of Russel and Doug soooo you never know. Personally I don't think any character makes more sense in front of "It's Touch to Be a Bug" than Flik but that's DAK for you.

Interesting thing to point out, is that the winner of the 2011 Disney Imaginations Competition was an UP themed attraction called "Adventure is Up There!":

The first place award went to the team from the University of Southern California for their jungle-themed thrill attraction. The judges were impressed with the rotational freedom robotic technology, commenting "nice approach to ride system," and applauded the team for their "excellent presentation skills" and "great use of cultural elements."

http://disneyimaginations.com/2011Highlights.html

Wow. So we may never see this come to fruition, huh? Any rumors behind why it might be cancelled?

Because a lot of people at The Walt Disney Company, namely in Parks and Resorts, are mad that they weren't aware of this happening until it was hastily announced. Joe Rohde, head Imagineer of DAK, didn't even know. It's Iger's pet project to combat the egg on his face with Potter. Iger is leaving the company soon to run for Governor of New York. Without Iger, there is no to push this project through but TDO (and I feel that Burbank has little respect for the way TDO has been handling things.)

There was never a real plan with Avatar. There was just an agreement to work together if with anyone.

I still think Avatar was a poor choice. It's not a proven franchise yet. Then again I didnt think a Mummy, Transformers, or a Despicle Me ride made much sense either.

Harry Potter was a brilliant move by Universal though.

The only other franchise that will attract as many people is a Lord of the Rings area. Also, expanding Star Wars area in WDW is a very good idea. As Orlando is already home to a lot of sci-fi conventions, not to mention SW Weekends. Why not have SW weekends every weekend?

Last edited:
I certainly hope it is true that Disney has dropped this idea. It was bad from the start. Many on here were saying (back at beginning of this thread) that there is no where to go with this in a theme park. The best a few could offer was that, "they wanted to see Pandora". Well it did look epic in the CGI film, but it could never come close to that in a theme park. Never.

I certainly hope it is true that Disney has dropped this idea. It was bad from the start. Many on here were saying (back at beginning of this thread) that there is no where to go with this in a theme park. The best a few could offer was that, "they wanted to see Pandora". Well it did look epic in the CGI film, but it could never come close to that in a theme park. Never.

That and some films/stories just do not lend themselves well to theme park attractions or experiences.

my only concern is that they would have a grand idea, that would end of going way over budget, and the end product would be really lame. This seems to happen a lot with Disney.

I still am pro-Avatar and as a land over an attraction. If there is anything noteworthy from the highest grossing film of all time it is the epic landscape and atmosphere. That would look awesome with a WDW budget to back it. Whether or not I enjoyed a film or television series doesn't dictate my views on a land or attraction. For example, I felt most of the Potter films were crap but loves WWoHP. I loved The Mummy but don't care for the ride. I LOOOOVE Indy, but think the DHS show is lamesauce. I hated Cars and epically hated Cars 2 but my feeling toward Carsland is pretty high. Point is, for me, my dislike for Avatar as a film differs from my viewpoints of its theme park applications and I really look forward to Disney pulling through on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.