Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been saying it for years and still being got my fingers crossed but Disney shoudl just play it smart and bring your greatest dark ride creation to date to Orlando. Journey to the Center of the Earth.

*Sigh*

Okay I know I'm gonna get a lot of "Yoou're crazies" for this...but from videos, I don't think Journey looks all that amazing. The ride I mean. The volcano and surroundings are a serious milestone in themed attractions, but the ride itself...just looks okay. Don't get me wrong, I'd take it, but from what I've seen I think "greatest dark ride creation" is going a bit overboard. I'd put Haunted Mansion of Indy above JTTCotE

*Sigh*

Okay I know I'm gonna get a lot of "Yoou're crazies" for this...but from videos, I don't think Journey looks all that amazing. The ride I mean. The volcano and surroundings are a serious milestone in themed attractions, but the ride itself...just looks okay. Don't get me wrong, I'd take it, but from what I've seen I think "greatest dark ride creation" is going a bit overboard. I'd put Haunted Mansion of Indy above JTTCotE

I agree. The exterior is incredible (seriously, possibly my favorite theme park structure) but the ride itself doesn't look THAT amazing. The lava beast is definitely impressive, and the forest scene looks like an upgraded/more serious ET... but other than that and the little storm-at-sea segment there isn't all that much. I'd definitely put Mansion above it, not too sure about Indy (too many weak scenes in that ride).

Ha...I knew this would die. Cameron and Disney are almost exact opposites on philosophy. Cameron is ALL about taking the experience to the next level through Not invented yet technology, and high budget risks that usually pay off, but are still a gamble. Disney would rather use exitising technology, lower budgets, and established ideas to make sure they have a hit. They rarely gamble, and when they do, they usually cut back on budgets anyway. It's pretty safe to say this was doomed from the start.

There is a reason Cameron writes, directs, and produces his own films, it's because he does not like to be told what to do.

^ Plus neither of them can reasonably stick to a budget. Also, a guy who nails people's cell phones to wooden posts and tells lead actresses to stop bitching about being in the cold water for 6 hours is more than likely is not going to get along with WDI.

I wish Disney would just open their own version of IOA that explores their darker properties as well as outside ones that caters to older crowds. They could have lands dedicated to Marvel, Studio Ghibli, Lucas properties, Nightmare Before Christmas, Tron, and, yes, even Avatar. Things that could make for wicked themeing and attractions.

I wish Disney would just open their own version of IOA that explores their darker properties as well as outside ones that caters to older crowds. They could have lands dedicated to Marvel, Studio Ghibli, Lucas properties, Nightmare Before Christmas, Tron, and, yes, even Avatar. Things that could make for wicked themeing and attractions.

I kind of consider MK/IoA to be similar parks in their approach, personally. But yes, a more "adult" version of the Magic Kingdom would be awesome.

I kind of consider MK/IoA to be similar parks in their approach, personally. But yes, a more "adult" version of the Magic Kingdom would be awesome.

Except it's become faux pas for MK to welcome any outside properties into it (speaking on behalf of WDW'S MK, not DLR). I mean for a park to represent both a darker side of Disney and outside properties. I mean, Studios is kind of that way with GMR, Indy, Star Wars, Twilight Zone, Pixar, and Muppets but ToT is about as thrilling as it gets.

More from our friend Spirit:

Spirit said:
Just to add some more hard info before I get lost in this thread ... but when I talked to my source at WDI, said source pointed out the fact that Disney hasn't released one piece of generic artwork to get fanbois excited 'because they can't even agree on the basics' ... what you have are two diametrically opposite views on building the land (and I absolutely saw that coming). Cameron wants something groundbreaking. Disney wants to give you Soarin Over Around and Thru Pandora. Cameron wants to take that $500 million budget and add 'whatever it takes to do this right' ... Disney wants to trim $100-125 million from the budget (guess they need to cover the John Carter disaster).

Also want to make it clear (like the OP) that Avatarland isn't quite dead and you're dealing with another ego here -- Bob Iger's. And he really is burning about the work UNI is doing. In California, he can point to the DCA Makeover and crow. But at the 'flagship resort' that modest Fantasyland project isn't going to do it.

My point being this could stay alive just because of Iger's ego.

Someone asked if Disney does in fact cancel, will Universal pick up Avatar:

Spirit said:
None.

At.

All.

They didn't want it ... Disney PR planted a story they did. All they did was think about it.

UNI is happy with its current properties and I'd look for them to exploit more of what they already have in the near future!

Last edited:
More from our friend Spirit:

Someone asked if Disney does in fact cancel, will Universal pick up Avatar:

Fascinating. I hope he eventually gets impatient and just allows the green light of all those awesome WDI ideas that are on ice. But I'm not holding my breath. Sigh...

Been saying it for years and still being got my fingers crossed but Disney shoudl just play it smart and bring your greatest facade creation to date to Orlando. Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Fixed it!

It was cool the first time I saw it. And if I ever had the chance, I'd love to ride it. But it's a couple minutes of eye candy + big scary AA + 10 seconds of speed. That's it.

Radiator Springs Racers looks so much better.

How many people here have ridden Journey to the Center of the Earth?

How many people here have ridden Journey to the Center of the Earth?

full-bleed-1284747395.jpg

The theme does not have to mean a direct clone..all these years later we can want a Journey to the Center of the Earth concept elaborated and improved on. But knowing what people think and expect anymore most would be happy with just a clone. With Test Track being a big deal at EPCOT, I don't want the same ride system smaller scale.

How about a 20K for the 21st century with Animal Kingdom? We could actually fit the lore of the giant squid into it and it would make sense.

Honestly, you guys need to keep your opinions of JTTCOTE to a minimum if you haven't actually ridden it. The attraction begins way before you even get onto the ride and it's the overall best dark ride experience I've ever had in my life. It's just unbelievable.

Also, I didn't know John Carter was flopping until I read this thread. Ouch.

Honestly, you guys need to keep your opinions of JTTCOTE to a minimum if you haven't actually ridden it. The attraction begins way before you even get onto the ride and it's the overall best dark ride experience I've ever had in my life. It's just unbelievable.

Also, I didn't know John Carter was flopping until I read this thread. Ouch.

Wouldn't this also apply to those who don't want Avatar coming to AK since we haven't seen any concept art nor have been told of any "official" attractions for the land?

Wouldn't this also apply to those who don't want Avatar coming to AK since we haven't seen any concept art nor have been told of any "official" attractions for the land?

No, because we're all on the same page. None of us have seen concept art, so are opinions are all fairly equal. Quite different than saying, "I don't like JTTCOTE," when you haven't had a ride on it. I haven't ridden it, so I'm not qualified to make a judgement on it's merits.

Think of it like a movie. If he hasn't come out yet, then we all have a valid opinion. But once it's out, saying "I haven't seen it, but it's only so-so," seems kind of weird, doesn't it?

No, because we're all on the same page. None of us have seen concept art, so are opinions are all fairly equal. Quite different than saying, "I don't like JTTCOTE," when you haven't had a ride on it. I haven't ridden it, so I'm not qualified to make a judgement on it's merits.

Think of it like a movie. If he hasn't come out yet, then we all have a valid opinion. But once it's out, saying "I haven't seen it, but it's only so-so," seems kind of weird, doesn't it?

Ahh and order has once again been reinstated in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.