Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixed It! :p

You booger!

Anyway, watching that JTTCOTE video gives me more faith and awe in a dark ride than I have ever had. John Carter flopped because Disney decided to advertise the heck out of it...a week before its release. Tron, Prince, and Carter are all decent films with just enough stand-out elements to make them memorable. Of them, only Tron had advertising on its side.

It's not that I don't like what I see from the ride portion of JTTCOTE. It looks like a great ride. But I've been on enough rides in my life and know enough about the ride to get a pretty good idea on what it's like as a ride. It just doesn't scream "OH my god I need to ride that now!" to me like rides like Indy, Spider-man, Forbidden Journey, and things like that. The queue looks fantastic, and the facade is obviously a sight, but the ride itself just seems like it was kind of an afterthought to all the great stuff around it.

Kinda like Everest. But better.

Kinda like Everest. But better.

This is exactly how I feel about it! Yes, it's a fantastic ride, but some people act like it's better than breathing air. If that giant bug was in B mode and it wasn't on the other side of the planet, you all would be treating it with the same respect you give Everest: a great facade with an OK ride.

AND

If you wanna look at something pretty, fine, Journey is better. But from a technical perspective, Test Track is better. It has a longer track, it goes faster, and it's practically a minute longer ride. And, SORRY if you think it's absurd to bring that up, but these aren't just dark rides, they're thrill rides.

Last edited:
This is exactly how I feel about it! Yes, it's a fantastic ride, but some people act like it's better than breathing air. If that giant bug was in B mode and it wasn't on the other side of the planet, you all would be treating it with the same respect you give Everest: a great facade with an OK ride.

AND

If you wanna look at something pretty, fine, Journey is better. But from a technical perspective, Test Track is better. It has a longer track, it goes faster, and it's practically a minute longer ride. And, SORRY if you think it's absurd to bring that up, but these aren't just dark rides, they're thrill rides.

So do you want it or not at AK?

It is indeed flopping quite hard. No question about it (domestically at least):
That it is, but if it at least stays fairly solid for a bit state-side, it may have a chance to surpass what Torn: Legacy pulled in Worldwide at $400M. It has brought in $100M if you count overseas so as long as it doesn't drop too much, i'd think it should recover it's budget at least.

But theaters do not run money for free. There are a lot of costs that will not be recovered until home video market.

But theaters do not run money for free. There are a lot of costs that will not be recovered until home video market.
Oh I understand. And it still won't even. When I said that, I meant it would earn that amount. The film cost about $250M to make. From what i've read, it's being compared to Prince of Persia in that it'll probably make around $90M Domestically and around $245-250M Overseas. Together that's about $340M if it's lucky. Hollywood Reporter is saying it needs to make about $600M to cover the costs, which obviously will never happen short of a miracle.

Last edited:
Oh gotcha. I just wanted to clarify because some people wonder why Tron Legacy won't get any kind of sequel, but the truth is, the company is not interested in investing with that little of a return..

Jim Hill just ran a story saying that Avatar isn't dead. According to his source, a VP of Communications at Disney, "It's a bad story. Don't believe it." Odd choice of words, "It's a bad story."

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...quot-overcome-its-poisonous-advance-buzz.aspx

Personally, I don't believe the non-believer. A VP of Communications? Of course he's going to deny that it's dead. They aren't going to announce "it's dead" a few months after the announcement. That would be waaaaay too embarrassing. If the rumors really are coming from the ground floor, I'd believe those over anything else. Just because you won't admit it's dead doesn't mean that things aren't falling apart. But that's just my two bits.

Just like most big plans that fall through. They never admit they are dead, they just wait long enough for everyone to move on and forget about them. Not nearly as huge but the latest example of this with Disney would be the Pleasure Island retheme and redo.

All Disney ever really did was sign a deal with Cameron and Fox for Avatar investments. We have never heard a lick of anything after that news and there are tons of things likely why it has already fallen apart, or very well could.

I am with Jymmymack on this one.

Jim Hill just ran a story saying that Avatar isn't dead. According to his source, a VP of Communications at Disney, "It's a bad story. Don't believe it." Odd choice of words, "It's a bad story."

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...quot-overcome-its-poisonous-advance-buzz.aspx

Personally, I don't believe the non-believer. A VP of Communications? Of course he's going to deny that it's dead. They aren't going to announce "it's dead" a few months after the announcement. That would be waaaaay too embarrassing. If the rumors really are coming from the ground floor, I'd believe those over anything else. Just because you won't admit it's dead doesn't mean that things aren't falling apart. But that's just my two bits.

Well I'll start to believe Jim Hill when we see Night Kingdom. But as of right now, I'll take his denial as proof it is dead.

Hopefully all that money they'd be saving would go to something useful in Animal Kingdom. I can't put my finger on it but there is something at that park that needs fixing. What was that thing? It had something to do with a mountain and disco fever. It'll come to me eventually. Seriously though, not a tear shed if this doesn't go through, which it looks like it will not.

if it doesnt happen, I hope we at least get to see come concept drawings. Im more interested in what they are planning behind the scenes.

AND

JTTCOTE not as good as Test Track or Everest? :lol: Riiiight..

As for Avatar, I'd love to see it to happen but I really don't see anyone here is rooting for it. Not sure if it's Avatar, the highest-grossing film of all-time, that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.