Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Prey (Hulu)

One thing I thought while watching this film goes back to what I said in my original post in this thread.

It's really a shame that I had to watch this on a streaming platform. While i'm glad streamers are providing high quality movies like this and I do have a pretty good surround system, I would've loved to see this in an actual theater. Even if it's only in theaters for roughly a 3-day weekend with limited marketing and then hits streaming, that's all i'm asking for really. That would give people the option to see the movie in a theater, but you also aren't wasting marketing dollars on the film since it's only a limited release for one weekend or something like that.

Movies in the Predator franchise have never performed overly well, but they are pretty cheap to make when there's no big sets like in the 2018 film, and even that pile of crap made the most worldwide of all the releases in the franchise.

Great film. CGI was better than most MCU movies. Best predator in a while but I really enjoyed Shane Black’s predator from a few years back. Surprised nobody has mentioned that. Or maybe I’m misremembering. One thing that bugged me and maybe I’m just a big stupid idiot
if the whole point of the predator laser thing was to tell his arrows where to go, why did he continue shooting arrows when he knew he didn’t have the helmet laser thing? She tricks him like a looney toons cartoon at the end to kill him when as a predator you would think he was smart enough to go “I don’t know where my laser pointer is maybe I shouldn’t shoot arrows if I can’t control them?” And it’s his so at the very least I feel like he should’ve sensed it was pointed at him or something. Idk.

Great film. CGI was better than most MCU movies. Best predator in a while but I really enjoyed Shane Black’s predator from a few years back. Surprised nobody has mentioned that.
I've mentioned the Shane Black movie a few times, I just don't like it like you. I thought that that was a low point for the series tbh.

For me, The Predator doesn't work well when you take it out of the jungle/wilderness, which is why the original film, 2010's Predators, and Prey work so well. I like Predator 2 well enough, but the city aspect didn't work there and the suburb/lab setting in 2018's The Predator didn't work for me. There was also a lot of filler in the 2018 film and the Predator in that film wasn't even close to as ruthless as he was in this film.

What Predator 2, Predators (2010), and The Predator (2018) all did though was add bits and pieces of lore to the franchise, even if that all weren't the best films (although Predators was pretty good).

Great film. CGI was better than most MCU movies. Best predator in a while but I really enjoyed Shane Black’s predator from a few years back. Surprised nobody has mentioned that. Or maybe I’m misremembering. One thing that bugged me and maybe I’m just a big stupid idiot
if the whole point of the predator laser thing was to tell his arrows where to go, why did he continue shooting arrows when he knew he didn’t have the helmet laser thing? She tricks him like a looney toons cartoon at the end to kill him when as a predator you would think he was smart enough to go “I don’t know where my laser pointer is maybe I shouldn’t shoot arrows if I can’t control them?” And it’s his so at the very least I feel like he should’ve sensed it was pointed at him or something. Idk.
It’s because this Predator was a cocky SOB who was over reliant on his technology. It’s one of the things we keep seeing as he fights the animals and the French trappers. It’s one of the more interesting aspects of this movie compared to previous Predators—this Predator has a different personality. He knows he should have the upper hand against Naru in every facet, but she keeps beating him (because he keeps underestimating her). By the time she traps him in the bog, he has absolutely had it. His pride and arrogance takes over (just like every other Hunter we’ve seen in the film leading up to that point), and that hubris leads to his demise.

Did you guys catch the mid-credits "sequence" so to speak while the initial credits rolled? It's nothing major, but could signal direct sequel.
They show the gist of the movie through artwork at the end and then at the very end, it shows the spaceships headed back towards her tribe. We know that that gun ends up in the hands of the character Danny Glover plays in Predator 2. He gets it from the Predators, so obviously so crap goes down where they get that gun.

By the time she traps him in the bog, he has absolutely had it. His pride and arrogance takes over (just like every other Hunter we’ve seen in the film leading up to that point), and that hubris leads to his demise.
Not to mention this Predator is just physically done by this point. He's been taking shots all movie, left, right, and center from animals of all different sizes from snakes to coyotes to bears to humans shooting at him.

He does his best to heal himself, but I really think he had just been through the wringer at that point and with Naru having home field advantage so to speak she was eventually able to just outsmart it and survive.

It’s because this Predator was a cocky SOB who was over reliant on his technology. It’s one of the things we keep seeing as he fights the animals and the French trappers. It’s one of the more interesting aspects of this movie compared to previous Predators—this Predator has a different personality. He knows he should have the upper hand against Naru in every facet, but she keeps beating him (because he keeps underestimating her). By the time she traps him in the bog, he has absolutely had it. His pride and arrogance takes over (just like every other Hunter we’ve seen in the film leading up to that point), and that hubris leads to his demise.

he was shot in the head and lost his arm, by the end he literally had a little bullet in his head, losing blood all over.
he was stuck in the mud and shot at her the arrow as last resort
some people criticize the arrow thing as dumb, but i had a big smile when i realized what she did with the pred helmet. i was surprised in a good way,
it might be cheesy, but i had such a big surprise moment when it happened. i didnt expect it.

That's what I was thinking,
he was shot in the head and lost his arm, by the end he literally had a little bullet in his head, losing blood all over.
he was stuck in the mud and shot at her the arrow as last resort
some people criticize the arrow thing as dumb, but i had a big smile when i realized what she did with the pred helmet. i was surprised in a good way,
it might be cheesy, but i had such a big surprise moment when it happened. i didnt expect it.
I agree with all those things, but thats a lot of hubris for our universe's apex predator. He also kinda did it earlier in the movie without all the brain damage and thats how she figured out how it worked. but anyway. Still a great movie though.

Hopefully Disney/Hulu will reprise the Alien franchise as well, given the success of Predator/Prey now.

Hopefully Disney/Hulu will reprise the Alien franchise as well, given the success of Predator/Prey now.
They are working on it now with two separate projects. There's a TV series and a movie coming. Ridley Scott is involved with both.

The TV series is an FX on Hulu production with Noah Hawley involved so I have high hopes. Production is rumored to take place next year on the show. The film was announced in March and will be directed by Fedé Álvarez. The film is described as being "set separately from the earlier movies", so i'm wondering if this is going to be a franchise reboot.

If the Alien stuff is successful, plus maybe another Predator movie in the next few years, then my hope is that we can eventually get a good AvP movie. I'm just happy to see that Disney is doing things with these R-rated properties and not just letting them sit there without being used for new projects.

It is a shame this didn't get a theatrical release, it would have been really fun to see on the big screen.
I hope the success of this one means that any sequel to it will get a theatrical release, but they probably see this as a winning Hulu/streaming franchise now.

They are working on it now with two separate projects. There's a TV series and a movie coming. Ridley Scott is involved with both.

The TV series is an FX on Hulu production with Noah Hawley involved so I have high hopes. Production is rumored to take place next year on the show. The film was announced in March and will be directed by Fedé Álvarez. The film is described as being "set separately from the earlier movies", so i'm wondering if this is going to be a franchise reboot.

If the Alien stuff is successful, plus maybe another Predator movie in the next few years, then my hope is that we can eventually get a good AvP movie. I'm just happy to see that Disney is doing things with these R-rated properties and not just letting them sit there without being used for new projects.
Thanks for the info, this sounds amazing, especially since Ridley Scott is involved with both. Would be amazing to have some kind of Alien/Predator presence in the Disney theme parks as well, although these franchises are pretty dark and not so family friendly.

Ridley Scott didn't do to well with Prometheus or covenant. (You could argue covenant was a really big failure lol)
And remember how Shane black did the predator.....

Ridley Scott didn't do to well with Prometheus or covenant. (You could argue covenant was a really big failure lol)
And remember how Shane black did the predator.....
He directed those though. He's not directing either the movie or show. I don't think he's a writer either. I think he's just on as an Executive Producer. I did enjoy Prometheus though. I never saw Covenant, so I can't speak to that.

He directed those though. He's not directing either the movie or show. I don't think he's a writer either. I think he's just on as an Executive Producer. I did enjoy Prometheus though. I never saw Covenant, so I can't speak to that.

covenant takes everything that prometheus set up and built, and completely destroys it. prometheus set up so much... what they did with Shaw was awful, and David the android got really annoying.
you should watch it :lol:

This film is much better than it should be

Another not needed sequel/prequel like blade runner, dr sleep and cobra Kia that wasn’t made as a cast grab but a really fun ride
It’s a Shame this was not in theaters some of the shots of the landscape where very nice and think this would have been a perfect August movie

Hope if we see more they fight Vikings or Samurai next