Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Punga Racers 2.0

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a water park, but most of the indoor water parks I went to had mat racers.

I’m really surprised Universal couldn’t make it work. Feels like such a standard ride type.

This is gonna be weird, most likely. It was designed to be a mat racer and not a body slide. If it were designed to be a body slide, it would be different.

Its going to be very interesting. I won’t get to try it out until September.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a water park, but most of the indoor water parks I went to had mat racers.

I’m really surprised Universal couldn’t make it work. Feels like such a standard ride type.

Right? And Wet 'n Wild had two mat rides by the time it closed. :)

Insane isn’t it?
Wet N Wild had 2 different mat slide complexes, a tornado slide, and a massive bowl slide...all which are staples of waterparks...and yet none of these are in Volcano Bay...

To be fair, we do have a tornado slide. Just two small ones instead of a giant one.

We'll definitely see more mat slides in the expansion. Probably a higher capacity version this time. 8 slides, divided into layouts of four.

Insane isn’t it?
Wet N Wild had 2 different mat slide complexes, a tornado slide, and a massive bowl slide...all which are staples of waterparks...and yet none of these are in Volcano Bay...
And none are in Typhoon Lagoon and only mat slides are in Blizzard Beach. Volcano bay isn't the only water park without them.

And I'm 100% certain that if they had built a standard 4-8 lane side-by-side mat racer people would have been complaining about exposed slide structure and how it wasn't themed well enough.

And none are in Typhoon Lagoon and only mat slides are in Blizzard Beach. Volcano bay isn't the only water park without them.

And I'm 100% certain that if they had built a standard 4-8 lane side-by-side mat racer people would have been complaining about exposed slide structure and how it wasn't themed well enough.
I know the Disney parks don’t have them...but they constantly neglect their waterparks. Universal touted Volcano Bay as having all the major different slides...and I still find the park to be lacking. For as much money as they spent, Aquatica still has their number in the orlando market...

it’s been over 3 years...I’m ready for a new ride or two already.

To be fair, we do have a tornado slide. Just two small ones instead of a giant one.

We'll definitely see more mat slides in the expansion. Probably a higher capacity version this time. 8 slides, divided into layouts of four.

Haha the half-funnel tantrum slides don’t qualify as a Tornado to me. Brain Wash was a full funnel tornado...totally different experience. Wish the park would’ve brought slides like that and Disco H20 over to Volcano Bay and just re-themed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess a kid was injured recently on this slide
It is intense for sure
I feel like they've had to rework or redo every single slide at VB since opening
Yeah- there were some serious mishaps between Prosl and Universal.

I’m not old enough to remember TL/BB/Aquatica opening; nor did I pay attention to other openings world wide, so I’m not sure how normal that is. But I doubt they’re this bad.

But krakatau has new rafts
They had to expand the large blue slide (honu) first drop
They had to change the rafts of Both Puihi and Mako with puihi having the law suits.
They had the electrocution stuff in fearless river (but before they went rafts, then no rafts, then life jackets before settling on that).
They had to change Punga, of course.
They had to change the weights on Kala and Tu Nui multiple times.

Really, just Oh Ya, Oh No, Tanewa, Ko Okiri and the red drop slide and lazy river seemed to be the only untouched attractions there.

Thats a pretty crazy list now that I typed it out. And that doesn’t even address the massive menu overhaul after the first week or so, capacity limit dropping significantly or the cluster with Tapu Tapu (not working, falling off) to where they eventually replaced all of those shortly after opening as well to the brown Tapus we have today.

Still my favorite water park I’ve ever gone to and my favorite UOR park currently though. :peace:

Yeah- there were some serious mishaps between Prosl and Universal.

I’m not old enough to remember TL/BB/Aquatica opening; nor did I pay attention to other openings world wide, so I’m not sure how normal that is. But I doubt they’re this bad.

But krakatau has new rafts
They had to expand the large blue slide (honu) first drop
They had to change the rafts of Both Puihi and Mako with puihi having the law suits.
They had the electrocution stuff in fearless river (but before they went rafts, then no rafts, then life jackets before settling on that).
They had to change Punga, of course.
They had to change the weights on Kala and Tu Nui multiple times.

Really, just Oh Ya, Oh No, Tanewa, Ko Okiri and the red drop slide and lazy river seemed to be the only untouched attractions there.

Thats a pretty crazy list now that I typed it out. And that doesn’t even address the massive menu overhaul after the first week or so, capacity limit dropping significantly or the cluster with Tapu Tapu (not working, falling off) to where they eventually replaced all of those shortly after opening as well to the brown Tapus we have today.

Still my favorite water park I’ve ever gone to and my favorite UOR park currently though. :peace:
Wow! Is this common with water parks? I assume not

Wow! Is this common with water parks? I assume not
Not at all. But as the list clearly shows, many of their problems and changes had NOTHING to do with Proslides rides at all...Volcano Bay just seemed to have everything that could go wrong do just that. Heres hoping everything calms down and gets better and better from here on...

I want that expansion soon...and I want more Proslide rides! (Sorry whitewater West, I just don’t like your rides as much...except the Aqualoops!)

But as the list clearly shows, many of their problems and changes had NOTHING to do with Proslides rides at all...
I dunno, I would argue all that was listed had everything to do with Proslides except the electrical issue. If you buy a car and have to keep getting recalls fixed or have to have the manufacture change things to better you ownership experience, I wouldn't blame it on your driving. If many of the problems had nothing to do with proslides then why go to the competitor to fix their issues?

So would you guys say all these issues mainly stemmed from a rushed development/construction? Or is this park just particularly unlucky?

Just saw this and thought it might be of some interest to the thread.
It's still mind blowing to me that he's only asking for $15,000 for being paralyzed and they haven't paid or settled.
Absolutely mind-blowing.

Punga? No, it's due to ProSlide engineering.
And that doesn't even include ProSlide's massive overestimation of ride capacity.