Reedy Creek Improvement District | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Reedy Creek Improvement District

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
DeSantis looking to create new district called "Lake Buena Vista District", which would be controlled by the state, which would then have the state absorbing the $1B debt. DeSantis has vowed Disney will pay that money back, although has not laid anything out regarding how that would be lawful.

At the very least, this would relieve Orange and Osceola counties from a catastrophic increase in property taxes if this all goes through.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
DeSantis looking to create new district called "Lake Buena Vista District", which would be controlled by the state, which would then have the state absorbing the $1B debt. DeSantis has vowed Disney will pay that money back, although has not laid anything out regarding how that would be lawful.

At the very least, this would relieve Orange and Osceola counties from a catastrophic increase in property taxes if this all goes through.

Good for him!

Anyway, this week's Disney Dish basically puts to bed any notion RCID is going away. Len talked to several lawyers and it's LOL bad for DeSantis.

Good for him!

Anyway, this week's Disney Dish basically puts to bed any notion RCID is going away. Len talked to several lawyers and it's LOL bad for DeSantis.

Oh of course. This is still illegal, but it's all dependent on Disney/RCID taking up legal action. I think this will all be a backroom deal type of thing and DeSantis won't budge until after the election, which is why he gave it until next June. It allows him to see if he'll still be Governor next year and then if he is, he can try to get Disney more on his side, probably with some unwritten agreement that they won't speak out on these types of issues publicly and Disney gets to keep RCID. Your standard Quid Pro Quo.

If there is a new Governor elected, Disney can just wait until next year with the extreme likelihood that the new Governor of the opposite party will veto this mess anyway.

Reactions: Frogki
Oh of course. This is still illegal, but it's all dependent on Disney/RCID taking up legal action. I think this will all be a backroom deal type of thing and DeSantis won't budge until after the election, which is why he gave it until next June. It allows him to see if he'll still be Governor next year and then if he is, he can try to get Disney more on his side, probably with some unwritten agreement that they won't speak out on these types of issues publicly and Disney gets to keep RCID. Your standard Quid Pro Quo.

If there is a new Governor elected, Disney can just wait until next year with the extreme likelihood that the new Governor of the opposite party will veto this mess anyway.

This is exactly how I think that it will play out. The best response by DeSantis would have been to veto the bill but still make a statement about not agreeing with Disney's stance. Reedy Creek's fire stations have fun exterior features on some of them. Would hate for those to be eliminated.

Reactions: Nick

If Ron signed it Nikki can't undo it. It was a law passed by the legislature. If we keep Tally red they may not want to write a new law.

If Ron signed it Nikki can't undo it. It was a law passed by the legislature. If we keep Tally red they may not want to write a new law.
It was a performative act that if taken to court would be ripped apart by the judge and the FL legislature would be laughed out of the courthouse. To dissolve a district, those who live in the district have to vote on it according to FL law. This did not occur. There's also the case, that as the Washington Post mentioned in a recent article, that RCID transfers its governing powers to LBV and Bay Lake, which are *actual* cities, and can't be repealed by any sort of legislature. This would virtually keep things status quo with Disney since the only major thing not inside of Bay Lake or Lake Buena Vista in WDW property is Wide World of Sports.

Reactions: Frogki
It was a performative act that if taken to court would be ripped apart by the judge and the FL legislature would be laughed out of the courthouse. To dissolve a district, those who live in the district have to vote on it according to FL law. This did not occur. There's also the case, that as the Washington Post mentioned in a recent article, that RCID transfers its governing powers to LBV and Bay Lake, which are *actual* cities, and can't be repealed by any sort of legislature. This would virtually keep things status quo with Disney since the only major thing not inside of Bay Lake or Lake Buena Vista in WDW property is Wide World of Sports.
I know that and you know that but the law is on the books right now

I know that and you know that but the law is on the books right now
But it doesn't take effect until June 2023. So whether or not it has been signed, if there was a different governor next year, why could that person not overturn it as long as it is before June? It would basically just be the governor reversing their decision before it became official law.

But it doesn't take effect until June 2023. So whether or not it has been signed, if there was a different governor next year, why could that person not overturn it as long as it is before June? It would basically just be the governor reversing their decision before it became official law.
I haven't read it but my understanding is it is law and the clock is ticking. Governor can't just say "nevermind" its the wrong branch of the tree

I haven't read it but my understanding is it is law and the clock is ticking. Governor can't just say "nevermind" its the wrong branch of the tree
Well the governor had the ultimate say, doesn't matter what the legislature did. He could've vetoed it if he wanted.

Not being a political science major, couldn't a governor simply propose either an amendment to the passed law or introduce a new district (ex. Using that new district mentioned above) that is basically the same thing? I know that it's signed into law but I would think that some recourse might exist allowing them to move forward with Reedy Creek still in place in some form.

Reactions: Nick
Not being a political science major, couldn't a governor simply propose either an amendment to the passed law or introduce a new district (ex. Using that new district mentioned above) that is basically the same thing? I know that it's signed into law but I would think that some recourse might exist allowing them to move forward with Reedy Creek still in place in some form.
I agree, but I too am not a POS major.

But again, I think this is something that will all be settled behind closed doors with no lawsuit ever being filed. The state nor does Disney want to have to go through all of that legal hassle. One way or another, this will sort of just "disappear", buried inside of another bill that can divert attention.

Potential new governor could propose anything. Still has to go through the Legislature. Two things to keep in mind:
(1) Realistically, the GOP will control both the FL House and Senate no matter who wins the Governor's race (and, if I were a betting man, that would be DeSantis, he has a huge campaign account and no real primary challenger, so this is probably hypothetical).
(2) That RCID package is a product of the 1960s, and even then it would've raised eyebrows if anyone paid attention to Orlando. Going to be hard for any politician to back "corporate welfare" like that in the modern era, especially now that WDW has a younger, hungrier sibling up the street now who can make campaign donations and file lawsuits. A new special district to replace RCID is likely, almost inevitable. But I'm sure it will be much more in line with the UOR special district rather than one with the right to issue municipal bonds, hire your own fire marshal and build a nuclear power plant.

Not sure where to put this. Cinemablend looks like the only one reporting a delay in transitioning Imagineers to FL.

Well that's not going to help with any kind of future development with the parks. WDI already took a hit with the planned move in general (aka "You're going to move here, or you're out."), so a delay for a project like this is bound to have it's negative effects.