Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Remy's Ratatouille Adventure

Like moves fast, but entire extended queue being utilized. No room for anyone else than the boarding groups called.

Like moves fast, but entire extended queue being utilized. No room for anyone else than the boarding groups called.
Yeah, more than anything I think this is why they are using BG's for this ride. This area is not big and the purpose built queue doesn't hold a ton of people (including the outside portion). They need to use BGs in order to make sure only people who are riding the ride are back in that area.

Yeah, more than anything I think this is why they are using BG's for this ride. This area is not big and the purpose built queue doesn't hold a ton of people (including the outside portion). They need to use BGs in order to make sure only people who are riding the ride are back in that area.
Anyone can come back here, as crepes is open now, but you cannot get into the ride line without a BG. And the line is extended out even further into the pathway than it was during previews. Even still, it can only hold like 40 mins of wait time at most.

Anyone can come back here, as crepes is open now, but you cannot get into the ride line without a BG. And the line is extended out even further into the pathway than it was during previews. Even still, it can only hold like 40 mins of wait time at most.
Ah. I would've thought they'd be sort of restricting the area to BG only, but I guess that cuts off their line of revenue for the crepe place a lot.

Ah. I would've thought they'd be sort of restricting the area to BG only, but I guess that cuts off their line of revenue for the crepe place a lot.
It’s nice because you can still come into the area for photos in front of Remy’s and crepes. But Remy merch is not being sold at the cart today. Only at the World Showplace because of opening day limited edition merch.

Is it worth trying to get a ride on this when I’m trying to go to DHS in the same day to experience most of the rides there?

Is it worth trying to get a ride on this when I’m trying to go to DHS in the same day to experience most of the rides there?
So the issue will be that to get a boarding group you must pick Epcot as your park reservation to access the 2 opportunities. Otherwise you can’t get into Epcot until 2pm after the passes have been gotten. This also really limits your DHS time

Went to Epcot earlier to get a boarding group for Ratatouille. Got there around 12:45, found a bench, and waited for 1:00pm so I could grab a BG. I wasn't right on it like you really need to be when the groups are released and got group 138, which gave me an estimated 260 minute wait. The BGs have been moving pretty constantly, with the wait decreasing every 5 minutes almost exactly. I did SSE, Nemo, and Soarin', then left to go home for a bit to lay down and come back for Rat and Harmonious. I'm gonna try and watch Harmonious from a side angle and see if I feel like it's really necessary to watch the show from the 12 or the 6 (as far as the center barge is concerned).

Went to Epcot earlier to get a boarding group for Ratatouille. Got there around 12:45, found a bench, and waited for 1:00pm so I could grab a BG. I wasn't right on it like you really need to be when the groups are released and got group 138, which gave me an estimated 260 minute wait. The BGs have been moving pretty constantly, with the wait decreasing every 5 minutes almost exactly. I did SSE, Nemo, and Soarin', then left to go home for a bit to lay down and come back for Rat and Harmonious. I'm gonna try and watch Harmonious from a side angle and see if I feel like it's really necessary to watch the show from the 12 or the 6 (as far as the center barge is concerned).
This is where I’m gonna champion the virtual line concept again. For starters, it’s great that you can ride other rides and entertain yourself while waiting (I know most aren’t this fortunate but being able to drive home to nap is pretty sweet too lol). Three years ago, getting on a new ride meant planning your entire day around waiting in one line with an opportunity cost equal to every other attraction that came with the price of your admission.

But I also want to address the idea that the virtual lines create a barrier to entry thats insurmountable for most guests to ride rides. For starters, I had literally never been to DHS or IOA without getting on Rise or Hagrid’s…it was never *that* hard. But more importantly, look at how your wait time was technically 260 minutes. Most people seeing that figure in a standby queue would balk and go away. But removing the fact that you have to physically wait that long, I would argue, is actually letting MORE guests than usual get on. Ride capacity stays the same, sure, but you’re removing a huge psychological barrier by reducing the actual standby wait (plus allowing families with kids who can’t wait that long get a fighting chance). This, incidentally, is also why Volcano Bay was an unmitigated disaster when it opened (it doesn’t work when it’s every ride in the park).

I hope the trend of virtual line for new rides stays. I love it.

This is where I’m gonna champion the virtual line concept again. For starters, it’s great that you can ride other rides and entertain yourself while waiting (I know most aren’t this fortunate but being able to drive home to nap is pretty sweet too lol). Three years ago, getting on a new ride meant planning your entire day around waiting in one line with an opportunity cost equal to every other attraction that came with the price of your admission.

But I also want to address the idea that the virtual lines create a barrier to entry thats insurmountable for most guests to ride rides. For starters, I had literally never been to DHS or IOA without getting on Rise or Hagrid’s…it was never *that* hard. But more importantly, look at how your wait time was technically 260 minutes. Most people seeing that figure in a standby queue would balk and go away. But removing the fact that you have to physically wait that long, I would argue, is actually letting MORE guests than usual get on. Ride capacity stays the same, sure, but you’re removing a huge psychological barrier by reducing the actual standby wait (plus allowing families with kids who can’t wait that long get a fighting chance). This, incidentally, is also why Volcano Bay was an unmitigated disaster when it opened (it doesn’t work when it’s every ride in the park).

I still did have to wait 40 minutes after I got in line, however. Not terrible, but would I wait 40 minutes for this ride even after BG’s are gone? Probably not. I’d probably wait 25-30 mins max for this ride. I had low expectations knowing it’s a clone that opened 7 years ago in Paris and knew it was tame, but even still I just sort came off like “that’s it?”. I struggle to call this a D-ticket like I thought it was. To me, it’s a high C.

The best thing about this ride is that it adds a ride to World Showcase.

Just add my experience, was at park Saturday for last day of vacation. 7am gone within 2 seconds not able to get a paas. 1 pm drop, got 1 within seconds it was 166 which ment I had a wait time of 360mins that stayed constant for an hour. Group was called at 9:45 (10pm close) and we had already called it for the day. All day it was trending that we would get called 5-10mins before close and didn't feel like spending day in epcot hoping that we would get called. For comparison frozen ~50mins wait, test track~25mins, everything else under 20mins all day. So no virtual line we would have ridden and guessing that we would have waited an hour maybe a little over as the wait time would self regulate. So virtual line for me gets a big :thumbsdown:

So no virtual line we would have ridden and guessing that we would have waited an hour maybe a little over as the wait time would self regulate. So virtual line for me gets a big :thumbsdown:

How do you figure that? You either would have waited behind the same number of people equal to the demand of the attraction on that current day, or left after seeing a line of >40 minutes (going off of @Nick’s perception of ride value). The only alternative would be waiting in a shorter physical queue, which would’ve meant less people got to experience the attraction than what was possible that day due to virtual line.

I agree with what you are saying yet current times are truly 'different'. I really like virtual queues, I had a good experience with RotR as well as with Haggard's. Now when we waited in EpCot for our time, I sort of felt trapped to the park...we are lucky as heck in that we could have gone home or jumped over to another park yet we were having good family time, taking in the nice weather...lunch in the Land, jump on the boat ride, rode Soaring -- we did go to test track got in line when forward progress stopped and a delay was announced so we left the queue as the last time we rode, we spent 30 minutes being next waiting for a car to be removed from the track, figured we would come back if we still wanted to ride.

Anyway, with a 12:30 start, well it seemed our daughter was done around an hour before our 7:30 return time.

So for this park/this ride it sort of felt like (to us) the 'new ride' is being used to get people to commit to a full day at one of the company's parks. I certainly do not blame a company for trying to show a better ROI for new rides -- well, they or the stockholders should also understand how much worse those #'s might be had there been nothing new -- but that is another rant. Business will be business so I imagine there must be an upside to the company wanting to use virtual queues -- for this ride, it seems the entire 'virtual queue boarding group queue' can only hold around a 40 minutes wait so I am not sure Disney could do anything but use some kind of pass/virtual/whatever if the ride queue ever backed up to 30 minutes (as they would need room for the paid passengers) -- covid or not there just isn't anywhere to put anyone.

How do you figure that? You either would have waited behind the same number of people equal to the demand of the attraction on that current day, or left after seeing a line of >40 minutes (going off of @Nick’s perception of ride value). The only alternative would be waiting in a shorter physical queue, which would’ve meant less people got to experience the attraction than what was possible that day due to virtual line.
We would have probably rope dropped the attraction resulting in a reasonable wait time or would have just waited it out in a long line after we would have accomplished everything else we wanted. As for less people getting to experience the attraction you are wrong. Virtual or physical line doesn't change capacity and capacity determines how many people get to experience the attraction in a given day. It would change the type of people who get to experience it, this system is very passholder friendly as they get to do trial and error to figure out the best way to get a pass. I know when the drops are and that you need fast fingers to get one and barely got on a boarding group. I had some in laws with me that day at the park and wanted to do the ride but didn't understand how the system works which I imagine is a common issue for day guests.

We would have probably rope dropped the attraction resulting in a reasonable wait time or would have just waited it out in a long line after we would have accomplished everything else we wanted.
That’s fair, but still requires as much (if not more) theme park prowess than using the app to get a return time.

As for less people getting to experience the attraction you are wrong. Virtual or physical line doesn't change capacity and capacity determines how many people get to experience the attraction in a given day.

100% true, but there’s a wider variety of guests willing to wait 40 minutes after a return time vs. physically wait 3 hours. It’s a different make-up of demos that doesn’t exclude hardcore theme park fans/APs that don’t care about riding other rides on their day in the park.

It would change the type of people who get to experience it, this system is very passholder friendly as they get to do trial and error to figure out the best way to get a pass. I know when the drops are and that you need fast fingers to get one and barely got on a boarding group. I had some in laws with me that day at the park and wanted to do the ride but didn't understand how the system works which I imagine is a common issue for day guests.

See above, I guess we can agree to disagree there. I just know as a casual fan who is only temporarily a local, I think the virtual system is a lot more fair.

That’s fair, but still requires as much (if not more) theme park prowess than using the app to get a return time.
I would argue it takes no prowess to walk by an attraction see the wait time and decide if it is worth it, but to each their own.

100% true, but there’s a wider variety of guests willing to wait 40 minutes after a return time vs. physically wait 3 hours. It’s a different make-up of demos that doesn’t exclude hardcore theme park fans/APs that don’t care about riding other rides on their day in the park.
If it was a standard queue the line wouldn't be 3hrs as people would not see the value in that. Putting your name in a virtual line where you can do anything during that time has very little opportunity cost so most peeps would do that versus waiting in an line for a lengthy period.

See above, I guess we can agree to disagree there. I just know as a casual fan who is only temporarily a local, I think the virtual system is a lot more fair.
I see the more fair option as being one with minimal barrier for entry. Physical, see wait time and decide if it is worth it. Virtual, be on an app at a specified time (my case time down to the second) and hope you get it done quick enough. Glad this system works for you but for me, my group, my situation it stunk. Also my whole group could never have ridden this ride together with virtual as we were unable to figure out how to link tickets for the day.

If it was a standard queue the line wouldn't be 3hrs as people would not see the value in that. Putting your name in a virtual line where you can do anything during that time has very little opportunity cost so most peeps would do that versus waiting in an line for a lengthy period.
Right, that’s my point Mr./Mrs. Sexeh.

I'm baffled over the need of a boarding group. You can argue it's because they need some elbow room to let the kinks get worked out for the ride system, but this ride has been sitting there complete for like, what, a year? Plus, this is a clone of a ride that has already existed for seven years. Not to mention that this ride system is a simplified version of Rise and RR. Wouldn't the same issues that would have come up in the original version in Paris usually be addressed for the clone?

BGs are stressful and unnecessary. Even if there is a decent amount of time to get you BGs, you then have to factor in the ticketing situation. Your party isn't normally going to buy tickets altogether and be "linked" to the same group. Back when I went to DHS with some friends last Summer and tried to get BGs for Rise, we had to race to Guest Relations to get all of our tickets lined to our accounts because they couldn't scan to our phones. When we tried to scan them, it said they were already there when they weren't listed. Even when we left GR they still weren't connected. Turns out me and one person in my party couldn't get the BGs at the 1:00 slot by my other two friends got it. You're at the mercy of Disney's crap ticket system and EVERYONE'S tickets have to be scanned altogether. If you buy them separately, you're screwed. Good luck trying to get the scanner to work for the other tickets.

So yeah, boarding groups can go rot. It's nothing more than a carrot to dangle in front of your face to get you to buy more tickets if you lose the lottery. So stupid. Lemme just hop in line like the good 'ol days. I hope and PRAY they don't pull this crap for Tron or Guardians....and you know they will and they will probably make you choose like with Rise and Spidey at DLR. Uggggghhhhh

I believe the concern (or I assume) for the ride is the lack of space to extend the queue longer than its current extended queue. If the queue needed an hours worth of people, well they just do not fit into the 40 minute space. I feel Disney needs a method in place as they cannot handle an hour queue let alone a two or three hour one. I might be wrong and I am sure they could figure something out, but it is really tight back there -- heck, I was shocked that they are using the front portion of the event space (tent) as a merchandise store for Remy stuff....