Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rise of the Resistance - Boarding Passes/Uptimes (DHS)

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
With the main thread being taken over by these types of posts and the ride currently operating as it is, we’re going to keep all discussion of the ride’s operation in this thread.

Today seems to be a really good day for operation. They’re at boarding group 120 as of 6:25pm. Do we know of any evacuations/down times today?

Can someone give me a run down of current ops? I have been avoiding the main thread to avoid spoilers.
If you’re committed enough:
- Park has been opening around 6:30am
- Get to the park by 5:30am at the LATEST. I got there at 5:55 today and got boarding group 73, which got me on the ride by 2:30
- You need to be tapped Inyo the park before you can join a boarding group. I recommend having the app open and ready to go as you are entering the park. If it’s not working, go see a Guest Experience CM.
- Once boarding time is called, you have 2 hours to return.
- If you want, you can leave the park while waiting for your return time.

So the ride either is having an extended breakdown or it hit the last boarding group at 123. I’ve been periodically checking and it hasn’t moved in about 45 minutes or more.

Talking to some friends we think the ride might be operating at 35% capacity and suffers from frequent downtimes. Nick's suggestions are the best bet for riding.
That sounds about right with what some riders have said concerning apx. how many people they believe are in their boarding groups, and the number of boarding groups daily.

I haven't been following the Star Wars threads (didn't want to spoil all the details of the land and rides for myself), but my family and I will be going to Hollywood Studios on Tuesday. We will be at the Magic Kingdom most of Monday, so it has been a very tough sell to tell them that we need to arrive the park hours before it opens.

I have two questions:

1) What is the latest we can arrive and still secure boarding passes? I had previously told them the park may open early at 6:30 am, and that we need to be there by then, but now I realize a line forms and we may need to be there even earlier.

2) Do any of the other attractions open when the park opens early, or do they all open at the official opening time of 8 am?

I haven't been following the Star Wars threads (didn't want to spoil all the details of the land and rides for myself), but my family and I will be going to Hollywood Studios on Tuesday. We will be at the Magic Kingdom most of Monday, so it has been a very tough sell to tell them that we need to arrive the park hours before it opens.

I have two questions:

1) What is the latest we can arrive and still secure boarding passes? I had previously told them the park may open early at 6:30 am, and that we need to be there by then, but now I realize a line forms and we may need to be there even earlier.

2) Do any of the other attractions open when the park opens early, or do they all open at the official opening time of 8 am?
You could line up around 6.30ish and get a boarding group for later in the day as long as it's not too busy. I would recommend getting there by 5.30 at the latest and try to show up around 5. All the rides do open early so you can basically hit everything without fastpass allowing you to make fastpasses somewhere else and park hop if you so choose.

For reference last Sat I got there around 5:30 and the line was just past the ticket booths. Got group 20. Line up towards the far right if the line is past the ticket booths since there are more tap points once you get past the booths.

So I’m looking for a bit more detail.

How does the boarding system work? Is it to get in line for the ride or enter the land? If it’s for the ride, does that mean even if I am there at 5AM there is zero chance I can ride it multiple times?

About what time are boarding groups becoming full for the day?

When do we expect this to last till? I am expecting to take a day for DHS in early January. Could I have low crowds or will it be similar to the current scenario?

EDIT: just reread this, and it comes off more arrogant (is that the right word?) at the beginning then I meant to. I’m just a bit stressed right now due to other things.

Last edited:
So I’m looking for a bit more detail.

1. Works on App or you have to go to CM. There's a link on homepage that takes you right to securing a boarding group. You have to be inside the park and ticket/band scanned for it to work to grab your group. The group is only for the ride. The land is open for you to enjoy as normal. You're only riding it once with the system right now.

2. They vary, and have been becoming full earlier with Disney adjusting the hours to earlier - but they are gone before the park opens. If you wanna ride it, you're gonna have to get up early and wait.

3. Your guess is as good as ours. Jan is the slow season, but Star Wars so...

1. Works on App or you have to go to CM. There's a link on homepage that takes you right to securing a boarding group. You have to be inside the park and ticket/band scanned for it to work to grab your group. The group is only for the ride. The land is open for you to enjoy as normal. You're only riding it once with the system right now.

2. They vary, and have been becoming full earlier with Disney adjusting the hours to earlier - but they are gone before the park opens. If you wanna ride it, you're gonna have to get up early and wait.

3. Your guess is as good as ours. Jan is the slow season, but Star Wars so...
Thank you!! I’ve done so many of these big openings, but this seems like a bigger beast.

From a user on Twitter - the leaflets they're handing out while waiting for the park to open now have information about Backup Boarding Groups - sounds like they'll be used if the all the initial boarding groups are called and there's still time left in the evening for additional capacity:

From a user on Twitter - the leaflets they're handing out while waiting for the park to open now have information about Backup Boarding Groups - sounds like they'll be used if the all the initial boarding groups are called and there's still time left in the evening for additional capacity:

I admire the synergy, they worked the Incredibles IP into Star Wars

They appear to be higher number boarding passes. This way if your group doesn’t get called they don’t feel obligated to give you a park ticket/FastPass at the end of the day, since it’s only a backup pass.

So basically a large majority of guests that booked the two weeks around Christmas won't be able to ride this thing.

It appears opening the park earlier hasn't helped at all. It just made guests show up at 5am instead of 6.

So basically a large majority of guests that booked the two weeks around Christmas won't be able to ride this thing.

It appears opening the park earlier hasn't helped at all. It just made guests show up at 5am instead of 6.

I'll be showing up at 3:00am if it warrants it during my visit in late Jan./early Feb. I'll jump through as many hoops as Disney requires to ride this thing multiple times during my visit. :ears::thumbsup:

It appears opening the park earlier hasn't helped the at all. It just made guests show up at 5am instead of 6.
I mean the ride has more demand than capacity. It's just a matter of how fast they can book it to capacity. Most on site guests wouldn't be able to get on this before factoring in the passholders and off site guests. Even if the ride were running at full capacity most guests probably still aren't getting on anyway.