Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

I think the opposite, I believe it will sell itself.

My first ever trip to AK was 2008 when evening EMH were still in force. The park is truly stunning at night, not sure what it is but the atmosphere and ambiance at night really add to AK, Everest and Kali are totally different experiences at night, then factor in all the new night time offerings and you have something that should be really special.

Being able to do this park again at night with all new offerings will surly get those turnstiles clicking and I for one can't wait to see it all in May.

Disney get a lot of knocks, and rightly so,some off the things they have done in recent times beggars belief but credit where it's due on this one, I think AK is certainly heading in the right direction.
agree, this entire expansion to me is a home run because its changing the dynamics of the park

I think the opposite, I believe it will sell itself.

My first ever trip to AK was 2008 when evening EMH were still in force. The park is truly stunning at night, not sure what it is but the atmosphere and ambiance at night really add to AK, Everest and Kali are totally different experiences at night, then factor in all the new night time offerings and you have something that should be really special.

Being able to do this park again at night with all new offerings will surly get those turnstiles clicking and I for one can't wait to see it all in May.

Disney get a lot of knocks, and rightly so,some off the things they have done in recent times beggars belief but credit where it's due on this one, I think AK is certainly heading in the right direction.

No one is disagreeing that DAK isn't going in a positive direction, just that a park that clears out early to mid afternoon now will get the crowds that require it to have the second longest operating hours on property. Most guests do not reride attractions just because it's dark out.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is disagreeing that DAK isn't going in a positive direction, just that a park that clears out early to mid afternoon will get the crowds that require it to have the second longest operating hours on property. Most guests do not reride attractions just because it's dark out.
i agree, this is a big jump, i was thinking more along the line of 10, once the entire expansion is done maybe 11 in the summer

And DAK has a living ecosystem inside of the lake that would need to be carefully dealt with.

If it has a living ecosystem they would not be able to drain it. They would have to use divers and other things to install anything. But really I don't see why this is an issue, there are plenty of ponds in Central Florida than can't be drained and work is done in them all the time. Whether it is fixing the draining and inlet parts or putting roads over to top of them, it is done. So why would draining or not draining determine how good of a show it will be? The reason non-living ecosystems would be drained is of course it would be much easier to work if they could drain it. But in this case they couldn't so they spent more money to do the work needed and not drain it.

As for the hours. I don't think it will be 11 all season long. But I can see 11 in the busy summer months. I think this will draw some people away that go to MK for night time stuff only and so they might do MK a couple times during the week at night, they instead will stay in AK and do the night time stuff. AK clears out because it closes early. But I think you will see people doing the safari twice. I am hoping they split and do two separate FPs for this. So one for daytime and one when the night time stuff will be on. I think once Avatar opens the hours will be 11 more often than not. But for this year they will do 11 on select nights in the summer and 9 or 10 the other times.

"Meh."

It just doesn't impress me. It's not bad - it's just not blowing me away at all.

Still too many water screens - and like he said, you get one pose. Being different colors as it drifts around the pond is... Meh.

People think Illuminations globe section is dull? Can't wait for them to react to the floating basket light show.

"The magic of nature coming to life"

Through static set pieces drifting around...

Last edited by a moderator:
Only making a trip for this and Kong this Summer! Although I think night safari week be the secret surprise! The twilight looks so freaking cool! !!

Looks like capacity for each show will be 5000. Aka. Pretty low

Although, they may add standing room only lean-on-fence areas like they did after World of Color premiered to extreme crowds.

I assume he got this from yesterday's Q&A

Not gonna say I told you but...

5,000 capacity per show with the intention of 3 showings per night is the current rumor for this show, with hours extended to 11 or so.

On busy nights I see this. Production costs are probably not that high compared to firework shows.
And WoC does 3 a night often as well, and that show is much more expensive to run.

Awesome, good for you.

I still don't think a park that normally empties 3 to closing will now be able to stay open hours and hours longer.
Crowd patterns will change. Instead of coming in at opening, many will wait until later to go to the park with extended hours.

Or they'll go in the morning, back to the hotel and then back to the park for nighttime stuff, especially once Avatar opens.

Orlando Sentinel got a loot at the costumes. They have some more detailed and closer up images in their gallery.

A look at the costumes of Disney's 'Rivers of Light' show - Orlando Sentinel

1000x563