SeaWorld San Diego | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld San Diego

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Went and saw the pirates stunt show; I thought it was pretty darn good! Major props to SeaWorld for putting together a legit show with a plot, original (?) score, special effects, even a "real" sea-worthy pirate ship. I can't remember the last time I saw this kind of production value at a SeaWorld park. Considering it's not even in a purpose-built venue like Waterworld I thought they knocked this out of the park, and both the people with me and the crowd there seemed to agree. I really hope this show will stay after the summer event ends.

The other new shows this summer are surprisingly well done too: the Summer Splashtacular parade and O.P. Otter stage show both feature SeaWorld original characters and original music, and fit cohesively with the overall theme of the event. I know I've already said it multiple times, but the entertainment at SWSD has markedly improved since last year. Like, it's gone from being the worst in the chain (which as a whole has dropped the ball these past few years as it is) to easily the best and something you'd plan a visit to see. I'd really like to see the other SEAS parks follow the example this one is setting, it adds so much charm to the park and gives people more to do, especially those who don't ride roller coasters.

Went and saw the pirates stunt show; I thought it was pretty darn good! Major props to SeaWorld for putting together a legit show with a plot, original (?) score, special effects, even a "real" sea-worthy pirate ship. I can't remember the last time I saw this kind of production value at a SeaWorld park. Considering it's not even in a purpose-built venue like Waterworld I thought they knocked this out of the park, and both the people with me and the crowd there seemed to agree. I really hope this show will stay after the summer event ends.

The other new shows this summer are surprisingly well done too: the Summer Splashtacular parade and O.P. Otter stage show both feature SeaWorld original characters and original music, and fit cohesively with the overall theme of the event. I know I've already said it multiple times, but the entertainment at SWSD has markedly improved since last year. Like, it's gone from being the worst in the chain (which as a whole has dropped the ball these past few years as it is) to easily the best and something you'd plan a visit to see. I'd really like to see the other SEAS parks follow the example this one is setting, it adds so much charm to the park and gives people more to do, especially those who don't ride roller coasters.
That’s great to hear. I’ve always loved SeaWorld San Diego, it has a vibe similar to Knott’s (not as corporate, but still kept up well.)

Where is the pirate show exactly? What did it replace? After what you said I may have to start planning a trip to San Diego haha

Reactions: Thatguyoverwhere
That’s great to hear. I’ve always loved SeaWorld San Diego, it has a vibe similar to Knott’s (not as corporate, but still kept up well.)

Where is the pirate show exactly? What did it replace? After what you said I may have to start planning a trip to San Diego haha
Bayside theater on the water and not replacing anything

They had cirque de la mer but that was years ago

IMO it's definitely starting to become a standout in the chain. It's obviously not on the same level as SeaWorld Abu Dhabi, but among the American parks I feel like it's the only one that's objectively improving in most if not all aspects.

Reactions: Freak and Michael S
I mean, the reason I've gotten AP's at this park is the entertainment value

Like enjoy the fact I can see 5+ good shows in a day.

The next thing I hope we see in a new Aquarium, we have two currently closed since the Pandemic and would like to see them redone.

I'm not sure how many more rides can fit in the park without removing something, besides the old Submarine Quest area, and taking away more parking lot.....no idea where they can really put more.

Reactions: Thatguyoverwhere
I mean, the reason I've gotten AP's at this park is the entertainment value

Like enjoy the fact I can see 5+ good shows in a day.

The next thing I hope we see in a new Aquarium, we have two currently closed since the Pandemic and would like to see them redone.

I'm not sure how many more rides can fit in the park without removing something, besides the old Submarine Quest area, and taking away more parking lot.....no idea where they can really put more.
I'm hoping at least one of the aquariums can reopen soon. Supposedly Aquaria World of Fishes was deemed unsafe for guests; maybe it can be rebuilt? There's also one under Bayside amphitheater (I think) that I've never seen open, and the freshwater aquarium is still fenced off too.
As for freeing up space for more rides, the Penguin exhibit seems like a no brainer to move to a new, icy themed building next to Emperor along with maybe a flat ride and theming upgrade to properly flesh out an Antarctica mini-land. Elimininating the old penguin building and the adjacent seasonal gift shop would free up a sizeable space to build something new. It'd have to be fairly flat due to the coastal height requirements, but some sort of indoor ride or experience (maybe drawing inspiration from the myriad of new concepts at SeaWorld Abu Dhabi) could make that work. There are also two unused simulator bays from Wild Arctic that should be able to fit a flying theater ride. After that, they're gonna have to get creative in finding space for new rides. The submarine quest ride area can fit something, though there's already a compact coaster right next to it so I'm not sure what would be a good addition to that space. It'd also be cool to see the shark and sea turtle exhibits updated and integrated into some kind of new experience a la Wild Arctic or Empire of the Penguin. There you go SeaWorld, that's a solid 5+ years of quality additions without meaningfully removing anything from the park or taking away parking. Get on it ;)

• Love
Reactions: BuschAfrica

Tidal Twister is now being officially listed as permamently closed. Reports are quietly coming that the ride essentially tore itself apart.
Never went on it, never cared. It was bound to happen.

So what can we replace this with? An endeavor?

Maybe this will push them to make this their next project

The area is being very under used and maybe the star fish can be moved up to the front so they can give us a new attraction or a new big aquarium in that Space

Tidal Twister is now being officially listed as permamently closed. Reports are quietly coming that the ride essentially tore itself apart.
So that's 2 for 2 of those rides from Skyline closing down. Perhaps they'll have better luck with the couple kid's coasters that are being delivered to several Six Flags parks? But with a track record like this, I'd be a tad nervous about reliability.

Reactions: Rideguy70

Oof. Rest in pieces... No really, stay in pieces. Terrible carnival caliber ride that I truly don't think anyone will miss. The question now is, what goes in its place? It's not a particularly large space, there are some nice exhibits next to it but there's also a shuttered and condemned aquarium behind it. A crude measurement on Google Earth shows the combined area being ~0.8 acres or ~37,000 sqft. Definitely not enough for a roller coaster, water ride, or major dark ride, but probably big enough for a simulator ride, relocated theater, relocated animal exhibit, a couple flat rides + new aquarium, or some kind of hybrid ride/show + exhibit.

The aquarium behind it is condemned? And If so, why not just tear it down?
It's been closed for a while but yeah not sure about condemned

Either way the area should be tore up and redone.

It's big enough to have an Aquarium, flat ride and the star fish area or just make it into one bigger exhibit.

The aquarium behind it is condemned? And If so, why not just tear it down?
Pretty sure, or at least I remember someone saying it was deemed unsafe for guests. Supposedly it's being used for storage, but also this wouldn't be the first time a theme park has kept an abandoned building rotting in place. I'd speculate that this could be the site of a 2024 project, but unless the park was anticipating Tidal Twister's demise I imagine they haven't had much time to consider what the future of this area could be.
There still isn't any sign of major construction anywhere in the park for that matter, which seems odd considering the park's 60th anniversary (and the 60th anniversary of SeaWorld as a whole) is next March, unlessss of course there's work quietly going on to install a new ride in the former Wild Arctic simulator? That said, I'll happily take a new ride every other year if it means the quality improvements like better events and upgraded bathrooms/theming/etc will continue.

Pretty sure, or at least I remember someone saying it was deemed unsafe for guests. Supposedly it's being used for storage, but also this wouldn't be the first time a theme park has kept an abandoned building rotting in place. I'd speculate that this could be the site of a 2024 project, but unless the park was anticipating Tidal Twister's demise I imagine they haven't had much time to consider what the future of this area could be.
There still isn't any sign of major construction anywhere in the park for that matter, which seems odd considering the park's 60th anniversary (and the 60th anniversary of SeaWorld as a whole) is next March, unlessss of course there's work quietly going on to install a new ride in the former Wild Arctic simulator? That said, I'll happily take a new ride every other year if it means the quality improvements like better events and upgraded bathrooms/theming/etc will continue.
My Guess then is they will just have more "shows" going

The Whale and Dolphin shows, while good also could use some change ups, it feels like 8-10 years since we got the current versions of those shows and have not changed them since

This might not mean anything, but when I visited the other night I noticed Arctic Rescue was closed with an "annual maintenance" sign blocking the entrance and work appeared to be happening on the roof of the former simulator building. I guess it's conceivable they could be preparing for construction there? The queue area is also still set up weirdly with two entrance archways (one is blocked off with temporary planters) and no other permanent fixtures or dedicated paths.