SeaWorld San Diego | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld San Diego

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Was at the Park Saturday

Went on Arctic Rescue from Rope Drop and basically walked on. How ever the car after us had issues.

Arctic Rescue is a very fun fairly ride. The theming is better at night, I just wish they did some more hiding of sights outside of the Ride at the very least. The Q could also use more shade and things to look at
It's a fun ride but beware, I went on it 3 times and even with express the ride can take a while because many times they have an issue and send out empty coasters.

Got on The Swing Ride and Manta after riding AR, and they were walk on's but later on in the day become long because loading so sooo slow and most rides

Used the Summer Food Pass, It's a card you get marked each time you buy something from one of the carts. The Pro's were not many lines the con's the food was....alright. Hush Puppies were the stand out but most other food is fine.

The new Kids show in the old 3D Theater, O.P. Otter's Summer Vacation, was cute enough. Lots of Bubbles and honestly the Manta Puppet they used and glow parts of the show were more fun for everyone.

Feathers, Scales and Rescue Tales. Was a quick paced Animal show. Would recommend to anyone who likes animals and also bring out some animals to the Rescue Kids area, if you want to snap a picture with one during the posted times

Pirates Ahoy! The Battle for Mermaid Cove was a pretty fun stunt show. Saw the Sunset time show and it's music at points sounded 1 to 1 like Water World. The show uses all the water tech they have in the past with a cool boat set piece that also always the actors to do some extra stunts on.

SeaWorld’s Summer Splashtacular Parade, is short and more of a dance party but still better then not having a parade at all. Most kids seemed to love it

Enjoyed the Laser Reef Summer Spectacularand Fireworks, both were a nice way to sit down and enjoy some entertainment at the end of the long day

Overall the summer event was fun, still not as exciting as summer events pre covid but they did put in more effect this year then last year for sure. Glad I got to see all the summer stuff and hopefully will be back at Halloweentime

Man, this thread has gotten quiet. Could we really be headed into the park's 60th anniversary year with no major additions? Seems uncharacteristic of this company, even/especially in recent years.

Man, this thread has gotten quiet. Could we really be headed into the park's 60th anniversary year with no major additions? Seems uncharacteristic of this company, even/especially in recent years.
Not much to report. I'll be going next month to see the Halloween stuff but at this point nothing is being worked on.

Just announced: new Jewels of the Sea: the Jellyfish Experience "immersive aquarium" opening next year

Just announced: new Jewels of the Sea: the Jellyfish Experience "immersive aquarium" opening next year
What a lame addition. They won’t even let you pet the jellyfish.

1695928492621.gif

Finally a new Aquarium, I'm so excited. It feels like so long since we got a new exhibit

What's weird is they have a handful of existing, closed aquariums around the park sitting unused, yet they decided to build a new one. Oh well. Great to see something partially filling in the massive void where Submarine Quest used to be, even if this only takes over the former queue and station building. And it's indoors, and not a roller coaster! All good things.

Interesting, did they have another press release that say's where the location is? I assumed this would be at the aquarium next to the Sea Stars

Interesting, did they have another press release that say's where the location is? I assumed this would be at the aquarium next to the Sea Stars
I forget where I saw it, but somewhere on social media somebody asked and they responded it would be in the Ocean Explorer area next to the "Explorer's Garden" or whatever they call the huge dirt lot where the Submarine Quest ride used to be.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I forget where I saw it, but somewhere on social media somebody asked and they responded it would be in the Ocean Explorer area next to the "Explorer's Garden" or whatever they call the huge dirt lot where the Submarine Quest ride used to be.
Nice, glad they are doing something with that space as well but agree with your other post the other 2 aquariums should one...I know one is used for private tours....so should be able to just open it up anyday if they wanted

Reactions: Thatguyoverwhere
Forgot to mention I went to the park last week and saw the Spooktacular stuff. I didn't see it last year for comparison but it seemed fairly low-key relative to other events this year, with everything tucked into a back corner of the park. I'm not the target audience, but I would've liked to see more decor and entertainment around the park. The theater show was maybe the biggest highlight and I believe it's a new addition for this year.

In other news, they did finally add video to the station for Arctic Rescue and install a themed wrap on the perimeter fence in the ride area, which is a nice touch.

Forgot to mention I went to the park last week and saw the Spooktacular stuff. I didn't see it last year for comparison but it seemed fairly low-key relative to other events this year, with everything tucked into a back corner of the park. I'm not the target audience, but I would've liked to see more decor and entertainment around the park. The theater show was maybe the biggest highlight and I believe it's a new addition for this year.

In other news, they did finally add video to the station for Arctic Rescue and install a themed wrap on the perimeter fence in the ride area, which is a nice touch.
Yeah, I think it's the only thing "new" this year.
Since I'm not going again until Christmas (excited for that trip...I like their Christmas shows and decorations)< i watched the show its cute.....I kinda prefer the Bubble show from last year...but also wont complain the 90's Animal cartoon characters are back. No idea why they went away but happy they are back.

I hope next year they plus this event more, liek I have an AP its free to go to the haunt event but for me it doesn't seem worth the long drive. So Besides making new houses, I hope they just do more at next year's Halloween event

So Christmas Time this year feels smaller then last year in some ways

No Fireworks or santa stunt show, or sea lion Christmas show

We do have two Mission bay shows one is a Singer in the late afternoon/night and the other is the 90's animal characters dancing and singing.

There is a mini Parade for Miss Clause and a laser show.....I'll be doing the first week of December and not a fan of the hours 10AM 8 PM, they must not be doing that well

So Christmas Time this year feels smaller then last year in some ways

No Fireworks or santa stunt show, or sea lion Christmas show

We do have two Mission bay shows one is a Singer in the late afternoon/night and the other is the 90's animal characters dancing and singing.

There is a mini Parade for Miss Clause and a laser show.....I'll be doing the first week of December and not a fan of the hours 10AM 8 PM, they must not be doing that well
Wait what was the santa stunt show?! I don't remember that haha.

Bummer about the Christmas event being pared down again this year, especially since last year wasn't even that great. I don't know what happened... the Seven Seas and Summer events were actually much improved this year, then everything after that has been a downgrade. Maybe they're diverting more of the overall events budget to busier times of the year? But you'd think they would be spending more in the off months to bring people in, not cutting hours and offerings. The anecdotal evidence I've seen suggests there's no problem with attendance anyway; it's been busy every weekend I've gone this year.

Wait what was the santa stunt show?! I don't remember that haha.

Bummer about the Christmas event being pared down again this year, especially since last year wasn't even that great. I don't know what happened... the Seven Seas and Summer events were actually much improved this year, then everything after that has been a downgrade. Maybe they're diverting more of the overall events budget to busier times of the year? But you'd think they would be spending more in the off months to bring people in, not cutting hours and offerings. The anecdotal evidence I've seen suggests there's no problem with attendance anyway; it's been busy every weekend I've gone this year.
Thank god...i wasn't crazy and yeah this show was a thing.

Also If they aren't busy during Christmas time...then they are doing something wrong USH, Knotts, Disneyland and even Six Flags are bust during Christmas time

Thank god...i wasn't crazy and yeah this show was a thing.

Also If they aren't busy during Christmas time...then they are doing something wrong USH, Knotts, Disneyland and even Six Flags are bust during Christmas time

Interesting! I never saw that show. It definitely seems like Christmas Celebration had a major budget cut this year, even compared to the fairly underwhelming Christmas event last year. Short hours, not a lot of decor, and the entertainment offerings are minimal.
My guesses as to why the event is so lackluster this year:
  • Seven Seas and Summer Spectacular ate up much of the budget
  • SWPE splits its event budget across the entire chain, and diverted more of it to SWO
  • The entertainment director has been reassigned to other parks after corporate saw how successful he'd been with SWSD, and now there's no one with the same creativity or drive planning and executing the events here
  • They're anticipating having to pay the city $12 million in the lawsuit over rent during the pandemic, and are taking that money directly out of non-essential operating expenses
Some observations I made at the pass holder preview night:
  • JTA and Emperor were closed off at night.
  • The 'Christmas trick or treat' trail from past years has been eliminated. Bizarre, considering they were actually handing out Christmas themed stuff at the Halloween Spooktacular trick or treat stations.
  • Maybe they just weren't fully prepared for the pass holder preview but it seemed like there were fewer lights and decor than last year.
  • The Christmas Wish fireworks show has been eliminated.
  • All but one of the stage shows from last year have been eliminated. A Stocking Full of Soul, previously in the smaller Mission Bay theater, is now in Nautilus Amphitheater.
  • There's a new OP Otter singalong in Mission Bay theater this year. It's not really a show, just a singular actor in an otter suit standing on stage for 20 minutes while a screen next to him displays Christmas lyrics.
  • The Christmas versions of animal shows have all been eliminated this year.
  • The holiday versions of rides (like Manta) have all been eliminated this year.
  • Didn't see any of the special holiday menus in the restaurants: no special offerings or even the usual holiday-themed visual style of the menu itself. Small details like that generally seem to have fallen by the wayside this year.

Interesting! I never saw that show. It definitely seems like Christmas Celebration had a major budget cut this year, even compared to the fairly underwhelming Christmas event last year. Short hours, not a lot of decor, and the entertainment offerings are minimal.
My guesses as to why the event is so lackluster this year:
  • Seven Seas and Summer Spectacular ate up much of the budget
  • SWPE splits its event budget across the entire chain, and diverted more of it to SWO
  • The entertainment director has been reassigned to other parks after corporate saw how successful he'd been with SWSD, and now there's no one with the same creativity or drive planning and executing the events here
  • They're anticipating having to pay the city $12 million in the lawsuit over rent during the pandemic, and are taking that money directly out of non-essential operating expenses
Some observations I made at the pass holder preview night:
  • JTA and Emperor were closed off at night.
  • The 'Christmas trick or treat' trail from past years has been eliminated. Bizarre, considering they were actually handing out Christmas themed stuff at the Halloween Spooktacular trick or treat stations.
  • Maybe they just weren't fully prepared for the pass holder preview but it seemed like there were fewer lights and decor than last year.
  • The Christmas Wish fireworks show has been eliminated.
  • All but one of the stage shows from last year have been eliminated. A Stocking Full of Soul, previously in the smaller Mission Bay theater, is now in Nautilus Amphitheater.
  • There's a new OP Otter singalong in Mission Bay theater this year. It's not really a show, just a singular actor in an otter suit standing on stage for 20 minutes while a screen next to him displays Christmas lyrics.
  • The Christmas versions of animal shows have all been eliminated this year.
  • The holiday versions of rides (like Manta) have all been eliminated this year.
  • Didn't see any of the special holiday menus in the restaurants: no special offerings or even the usual holiday-themed visual style of the menu itself. Small details like that generally seem to have fallen by the wayside this year.
I hope they can budget better next year then because it's weird for this to be one of the only events where...they are doing "less" at this time of year. Disneyland, Knotts and Universal are all in full force

Also I had no idea there was a Holiday version of Manta...been going for years. They do a bad job at promoting some of the things going on in park

Yeah, the kid's show is insanely under budgeted.

Also Hours are cut big time, I have two animal reservations on Saturday, I assumed hours would be 8 AM -10 PM per last year but this year its 10-8 PM.....so yeah, we are going to try and do everything but will be tough with the limited hours

I hope they can budget better next year then because it's weird for this to be one of the only events where...they are doing "less" at this time of year. Disneyland, Knotts and Universal are all in full force

Also I had no idea there was a Holiday version of Manta...been going for years. They do a bad job at promoting some of the things going on in park

Yeah, the kid's show is insanely under budgeted.

Also Hours are cut big time, I have two animal reservations on Saturday, I assumed hours would be 8 AM -10 PM per last year but this year its 10-8 PM.....so yeah, we are going to try and do everything but will be tough with the limited hours
For sure. I just hope the solution for next year will be to increase the overall budget rather than cannibalize the budget for the other events that they actually executed well this year haha. Next year is also an anniversary year, so all the more reason to go big!

For sure. I just hope the solution for next year will be to increase the overall budget rather than cannibalize the budget for the other events that they actually executed well this year haha. Next year is also an anniversary year, so all the more reason to go big!
Me too

I hope besides the new aquarium we are getting. We see the Orca show updated along with the Dolphin show. Maybe adding some more nighttime effects to Manta and maybe partnering with more animal rescue organizations so we can have more meet and greets with more animals in the park

Along with a Firework show that maybe uses some old music from the shows and commercials for the park, Nostalgia the hell out of he fireworks please

Got the the park before opening on Saturday......we had major locker issues. We paid for a locker and it locked once then after that it would not close...took almost an hour to get it figured out...then later in the day we had the same issue so just carried out bag and didn't get on ant night time coasters in...that really sucked

We did get on the Skybucket ride 3 times with no lines so that was nice.

As for Entertainment the Kids show was fine, not bad buttttt I think they should do something else next year
The Big Christmas show was the highlight, it was super fun and would not mind it coming back but not sure it needs that stage....I feel it could go back indoors and then have another stunt show or something else in the outside theater

The Park was great at night the lights and all the photo ops were great, the laser show and even the mini Christmas tree near Arctic Rescue was really fun.

It was a fun event, No idea what I'm going to do about lockers now that I have had two just fail me....we will see next time.

I think while great, I think it could use a firework show even if only 5 mins long and switching the kid show for something else would be a hugeeeeee win.

Now on to the Animal encounters , the flamingo one is very much worth it you get to the feed the birds with them and it's like 5-10 mins of feeding compared to the one thing at other animal encounters

The Otter experience was also fun and cute but we got in for half price and it was good...for full price could be a lot for the under 30 min experience. It was still a fun time just....not the top of my list

Lastly we went to Sesame Street Place... my god I have so many thoughts

Ok, so it's cute. But it's toooooooooooo far from Sea World, if this was like DCA and right there then cool but I doubt it will ever get that big because its too far for what it is. I think who ever made the decision to take the characters and only have them here and not at sea World....is insane like unless it cost an arm and a leg...no idea why not have the characters at both parks. Sea World needs more things for kids and I saw the 90 characters merch on deep discount...so yeah should have kept the characters at both parks.
Sesame Street is super cute, the rides are good and think if they can't invest in a dark ride they need a walk through attraction because its missing a big hook, we meet the 2 characters out in flash and had a fun time but....I just don't understand how this park makes money where it is, maybe it's packed during the summer but when we we went some rides had NO one on them.