Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this will get the green light before opening weekend? The power of that teaser. It's honestly had the whole audience in stitches both times I saw it play (in front of Minions and in front of Peanuts).

And this will get the green light before opening weekend? The power of that teaser. It's honestly had the whole audience in stitches both times I saw it play (in front of Minions and in front of Peanuts).

Yea. I don't think people appreciate how well that teaser has grabbed the family audience.

As I stated earlier in the thread, it seems like an Illumination area would be a great replacement for Toon Lagoon.
Would love to see that be fleshed out and taken over someday, as well as give Despicable Me/Minions a proper area. It deserves more than the small parcel of land it has now in the Studios.

Man oh man the rumors i hear vs what I know vs what I read on here. I don't know what to believe at all.
Regardless, if this is true, good for Universal. Not sure how they could get this running by 2017 although of course it's possible, they just have so much going on now.
I saw the YouTube trailer it looks decent, was funny enough for me to laugh.
With a little one on the way, it makes me excited to know I can do my child to Universal what was done to me Universal. 5-6 years from now I'm hoping Uni is to children of today what Disney was to many people 90's and pre 90's.
Exciting times.

The concept sure looks good to me. The movie looks like it will be a big winner, and I welcome a dark ride with AA's for a nice change of pace.The subject matter is so universal (;)) that it will be popular regardless of the movie's success. It could easily fit with Toon Lagoon, with a bit of landscape help. And it fills a really needed demographic void. Also, the area was underutilized anyway. As Test Track said, it could be a grandslam. People will line up for this :) like they do for DM. Heh, I'm an old head and I love the concept. :thumbsup:

A trackless, family dark ride full of AAs coming to Universal in 2017? Count me in.

Taking up the Toon Lagoon plot, though? I'm glad they're finally putting that theater out of its misery, but I don't really see how this IP fits in IoA, unless they go all-out and create an Illumination Land to replace Toon Lagoon... which would actually be a great move if they did. Maybe this could transition into a DM area with a relocated Minion Mayhem (in all honestly... would it be THAT hard?) with two theaters and the Hollywood-facade, Super Silly Fun land play area, a small-scale dark ride based off the Minion movie, and an elaborate SLoP dark ride. BOOM. "Illumination Island". Perfect family area.

It comes out nearly a whole month after Dory. It'll be fine. Animation in the summer nearly always does well. I'll be amazed if this does less than 500 million worldwide, which is what the Cars movies did, and they got a whole land and possibly the most expensive ride of all time.

To be entirely fair, Cars Land was greenlit based on insane merchandise sales, not box office receipts.

As for the release, Universal originally had it slated for July 6th, so now it's not quite as close to FD. Yet, still there are few 100% guarantees with the box office with original films, animated or not. I'm not stomping my feet and claiming that it WILL bomb, I'm just saying that it can happen. (for the record, we should probably wait for a full trailer before using it as evidence that it's a sure bet) It's a factor that not many IP-based attractions have to deal with, and so with that it's entirely fair to discuss that possibility.

And that's exactly what makes this one so fascinating to discuss, because it's a risky, bewildering move that both makes no sense and total sense at the same time. That's what Disney is missing, that sort-of "balls to the wall" attitude towards creating attractions. I think the concerns about the IP being unproven are mostly stemming from being conditioned to the way that Disney has conditioned us. We get a Little Mermaid ride over twenty years after the film came out, Star Wars Land is coming out a year AFTER the NEW trilogy has finished, and Frozen is getting its own attraction after two-and-a-half years, but it's just an overlay of a tiny flume attraction. Disney acquired Marvel six years ago and is finally opening a ride based on one of those properties next year, in Hong Kong, using dated flight simulator technology.

But Universal can plainly see a ride like Splash Mountain endures despite the history of what it represents, because Splash Mountain is fun. People don't think of "Song of the South", they think about Splash Mountain. In order to divert risk, Universal Creative has to take a full measure. They need to prove that this ride can stand on its own just in case. If so, its a lovely icing that can be covered by the proven F&F and Fallon properties, along with VB. People can discover it and fall in love with it, if they do their job right.

And in the likely situation the movie is a hit, then Universal gets to put billboards all over Florida telling kids that they already have an awesome ride based on the funny Pets movie that they keep watching on DVD while their parents vaguely recall seeing that 3D James Cameron film that was a hot thing for a few months before they got married and settled down.

And in the likely situation the movie is a hit, then Universal gets to put billboards all over Florida telling kids that they already have an awesome ride based on the funny Pets movie that they keep watching on DVD while their parents vaguely recall seeing that 3D James Cameron film that was a hot thing for a few months before they got married and settled down.

This is a really good point I didn't even consider. Avatar will open in 2017 against one ride that will open based on a beloved (yes, F&F is beloved for those of you that don't follow movie twitter/blogs) and another ride that could be based off a brand new animated hit.

A trackless, family dark ride full of AAs coming to Universal in 2017? Count me in.

Taking up the Toon Lagoon plot, though? I'm glad they're finally putting that theater out of its misery, but I don't really see how this IP fits in IoA, unless they go all-out and create an Illumination Land to replace Toon Lagoon... which would actually be a great move if they did. Maybe this could transition into a DM area with a relocated Minion Mayhem (in all honestly... would it be THAT hard?) with two theaters and the Hollywood-facade, Super Silly Fun land play area, a small-scale dark ride based off the Minion movie, and an elaborate SLoP dark ride. BOOM. "Illumination Island". Perfect family area.
MM should have never gone in the studios to begin with, but that is room for another thread. I agree with your post overall.

One thing I'm not a fan of is that US and IOA seem to be blending together too much, almost losing their own identity. We're getting a fantasy world complete with a castle... in Universal Studios. And a family dark ride based off one of Universal's own animated IPs taking place in modern day New York... in Islands of Adventure. Does that seem a bit weird to anyone else?

One thing I'm not a fan of is that US and IOA seem to be blending together too much, almost losing their own identity. We're getting a fantasy world complete with a castle... in Universal Studios. And a family dark ride based off one of Universal's own animated IPs taking place in modern day New York... in Islands of Adventure. Does that seem a bit weird to anyone else?
:agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.