Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Seuss Landing Expansion Speculation

For Seuss it’s depictions. For Splash it’s way more including the movie, the situations in the ride, and the fact the stories were taken from slaves and then sold without them receiving any of the money.

But I can’t get too into it rn as I’m in line for Muppetvision.

I'd also add that Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah's main chorus is derivative of a pre-Civil War song which was smack dab in Minstrel Shows. An that song is universally associated with the ride and movie since it's the main theme song.

As for If I Ran the Zoo, as others have said, what's happening is the publisher removing the books with offensive chariticures. Considering those are nowhere to be found in the play area, then there's nothing to worry about.

I'd also add that Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah's main chorus is derivative of a pre-Civil War song which was smack dab in Minstrel Shows. An that song is universally associated with the ride and movie since it's the main theme song.

As for If I Ran the Zoo, as others have said, what's happening is the publisher removing the books with offensive chariticures. Considering those are nowhere to be found in the play area, then there's nothing to worry about.
I think the most you'll see is renaming McElligot's Pool, Mulberry Street and If I Ran The Zoo, if licensing requires it.

What I think is the more likely scenario: If I Ran the Zoo section is closed and rethemed to a different story or removed for another flat ride.

What I think is pretty unlikely but is still a very real possibility: The crosshairs on Universal's sniper just moved from Shrek to Seuss-Landing.

I would not call that a real possibility.
I wouldn't have called Disney announcing a Splash Mountain retheme in the middle of COVID (which, for the record, I fully support, and I'm not gonna say anything else to avoid an argument) a real possibility either, but here we are.

I wouldn't have called Disney announcing a Splash Mountain retheme in the middle of COVID (which, for the record, I fully support, and I'm not gonna say anything else to avoid an argument) a real possibility either, but here we are.
Apples and aardvarks, I think. There was a list of problematic attractions that had been circulating for some time, and when the B movement hit, the writing was on the wall for it.

The Seuss thing was a result of the publisher wanting to do the right thing. There was zero public pressure involved. The problematic issues aren't intrinsic to Seuss the way they are in SM. Seuss Landing is as safe as it ever was, I think.

Once a name has been soiled....it is damaged goods. Like it or not. Universal will not make rash decisions but Seuss Landing has gone from almost untouchable.....to endangered. Of course this is only my opinion. Short term SL is probably safe.....but I think that we've all seen how Corporate America operates these days (not making a judgement here...just an observation). There are too many other money making ideas (IPs) out there to hitch their horse to damaged goods and risk hurting their bottom line by alienating a segment of their customer base.

Once a name has been soiled....it is damaged goods. Like it or not. Universal will not make rash decisions but Seuss Landing has gone from almost untouchable.....to endangered. Of course this is only my opinion. Short term SL is probably safe.....but I think that we've all seen how Corporate America operates these days (not making a judgement here...just an observation). There are too many other money making ideas (IPs) out there to hitch their horse to damaged goods and risk hurting their bottom line by alienating a segment of their customer base.
This. Short-term, I think SL is still safe for at least another 2-3 years, but long-term, well, in the words of Megatron: 'BEG FOR MERCY.'

Suess isn't going anywhere. The whole situation has been blown way out of proportion for strange political reasons. The estate decided they don't want to keep selling books with racist imagery in them. The areas in the park based on those books do not have that imagery. The rest of Suess's library is just fine, and that's what the bulk of the land is based on. Everyone will move on in a week and Universal will keep ignoring this area unless a hyper successful animated movie pops up in the future.

Splash is based on a problematic movie actively hidden by the company, features a minstrel-based tune as a primary component, and is also one of the most popular attractions in the park. It was only a matter of time before controversy struck and Disney saw the writing on the wall awhile ago. Suess is a completely different ballgame. It's like saying they're getting rid of Muppetvision or Dumbo because of the Disney+ warnings. It's just not gonna work that way.

Seuss Landing isn't going anywhere. This whole discussion will go away in the next two days, and will only be brought up again if the Seuss Enterprise announces some revised books without the stereotype. News moves so fast now that this will be forgotten within the next week entirely.

Seuss Landing isn't going anywhere. This whole discussion will go away in the next two days, and will only be brought up again if the Seuss Enterprise announces some revised books without the stereotype. News moves so fast now that this will be forgotten within the next week entirely.
exactly.

Pretty much

I'm more angry at the theme park bloggers that are running with the story

But I'm always annoyed with most of them...so it's a pretty normal day

This isn't "going away" in today's political climate with the media, blogger & social media frenzy that ultimately ensues like clockwork when issues like this pop up. SL would be a perfectly replaced by Bikini Bottom.....provided that BB passes the purity test.

This isn't "going away" in today's political climate with the media, blogger & social media frenzy that ultimately ensues like clockwork when issues like this pop up. SL would be a perfectly replaced by Bikini Bottom.....provided that BB passes the purity test.
Scare words aside, this is is just not happening on any planet with a yellow sun.