Shrek 4D - Hollywood | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Maybe a camouflage repaint but nothing of significance. The only sight of the building from within Potter should be from Hippogriff.

Obviously demoing it would be ideal, but does everyone agree that seats with a higher range of motion would greatly improve the show?
I don't think that will improve the experience for me.

Shrek isn't bad, but it's absolutely decent in every regard. You would really need to reevaluate the concept entirely for me to be interested.

Oh I absolutely agree Jon. You know my opinion on the attraction. I'd completely alter the concept. I just think that if it's gonna stick around for a bit long that it should at least he upgraded with D-BOX style simulator seats which have a great range of motion. If certain ordinary theatres can afford them, I'm sure Universal could get a great deal on them. That's the cheapest improvement I'd like to see (outside of demolishing it haha)

From Dreamworks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg

We like to let them [the 'Shrek' movies] have a little bit of time to rest. But I think you can be confident that we’ll have another chapter in the ‘Shrek’ series. We’re not finished, and more importantly, neither is he.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I love this franchise, but I don't want to see the movie end up like Shrek the 3rd (BTW I think 3 & 4 are decent). 

Also if a fifth film is made I wonder if that will make Shrek 4D stay longer or if Shrek will get a better attraction to represent the franchise at the Universal Parks.

I think they will first remove the old shrek and plausibly if that fifith film comes think how to redo it to make it better and more good for the parks look and appeal or just remove it and forget it which I want the second option more..

From Dreamworks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg

We like to let them [the 'Shrek' movies] have a little bit of time to rest. But I think you can be confident that we’ll have another chapter in the ‘Shrek’ series. We’re not finished, and more importantly, neither is he.
Help...us...all. Forget the war on terror, forget the ever-growing national debt, and forget the conflicts in Russia. Humanity as we know it will come to a screeching halt with another Shrek film. The human race cannot bare another the Shrek franchise to be milked any longer for all that its worth. People are having difficult lives all over the world and are even starving...but allowing Shrek 4D to stay even longer at USH would devastate the lives of many who want to enjoy life. Imagine, you just landed a wonderful career, you have a wonderful house, and you're about to marry a beautiful wife...and then suddenly, you're landed with the tragic news that Shrek 4D is here to stay at USH because of Shrek 5. Do you hear me Dreamworks? Please, for the love of all that is good and right, do not milk Shrek any longer! There is no telling how much longer us human beings can stand Shrek to stay any longer at our beloved theme park.

Katzenberg is basically hoping that they can bank on Shrek gaining a "nostalgic" audience, since the first movie came out 13 years ago, and by the time they can crank out a Shrek 5 (remember: it's not even technically being made yet), the college audience will have mostly grown up with these movies. In short, he wants a "Toy Story 3".

Then again, Toy Story had a lotta goodwill with it and never ruined its reputation with audiences. This is a horrifically stupid idea, but that's just me.

As for Shrek 4D, Universal and Dreamworks lately have not been getting along, yet the film is getting renewed again and again for capacity reasons, and hey -- hard to believe, but it gets good consistent marks on the guest research surveys. It's by far the likeliest thing to be axed on the upper lot after Potter, but we're pretty much saddled with it... and this is going to be hard for some of you to swallow, but probably for the rest of the decade. So... yeah.

It's by far the likeliest thing to be axed on the upper lot after Potter, but we're pretty much saddled with it... and this is going to be hard for some of you to swallow, but probably for the rest of the decade. So... yeah.
Is anything on the lower lot going to be axed before Shrek?

If Shrek is gonna stay THAT long, the only other things I see getting axed before then is HoH, WW, and SES. Nothing on the Lower Lot (except refurbs).

So if Shrek is gonna stay that long, that's even more of a reason that I'd like to see the seating upgraded to D-BOX style simulator seats. Would greatly improve the attraction IMO....

Is anything on the lower lot going to be axed before Shrek?
Maybe, maybe not. The upper lot is apparently "finished" in 2016. Think of the situation as the DCA/Disneyland, or even better IOA/USF. WDI and Creative both took turns fixing up each of the parks, focusing on one at a time. Right now DCA is and (as of this summer) USF will be "finished" with their major expansions,

Of course nothing is really finished, but just like they are going over to IOA to add Skull Island, and Disneyland is being looked at more for expansion points, the lower lot is seemingly going to be the next to be "touched". This even just happened. 2012 saw the lower lot largely retouched in prep not only for Transformers, but to keep it mostly stable through the upper lot expansion.

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2014/rumor-round-up-march-7-universal-orlando-shrek-orlando-eye/

According to that, Merlin just signed a contract with DreamWorks to create a Shrek themed area in its..uh, park thing. Even though this is just for Florida, maybe this will get Universal to think of a replacement for Shrek in bother Florida and California sooner than later!

But for Hollywood, I think Shrek is contracted to stay a few more years for sure (if I'm not mistaken). So maybe by the time its contract finishes (however much is left), maybe it'll be a good time to start thinking about replacing it.

Looks like Universal added the hallway of fun:

IMG_0714 by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr
9931oi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ My sentiments exactly.....they need to at least add some torches and blue stone/brick pattern to the hallway walls to make it match. Wouldn't be difficult, considering the damn construction walls are better themed.

Reactions: Bonkers