Shrek 4D - Hollywood | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't believe this to be temporary.  This has to be a sign that this show is on its last legs.  I would not be surprised if this disappears when Potter shows up.  Perhaps even when the new Tour animation opens!

I'm getting extremely certain now that Shrek will actually leave USH sometime in 2015, right around the end of its contract. (towards the end of the year, probably Labor Day weekend) You can forget about the capacity issues now. The Merlin licensing deal should effectively murder Comcast's wants to keep the show going in all parks. (Singapore might get rid of their maligned Dreamworks section altogether for Potter in a last-ditch effort to salvage the park's woes) The queue space and all of that is rather easy to utilize, but the big question comes with what to do with the theater. Do they use it to host a new un-Potter related show, or bulldoze it and expand onto Potter?

If Shrek is closed down, I have to wonder if Universal might just scramble something in there very quickly just to help with the Potter crush in 2016. Remember: behind the screen is still a stage. If not, it could sit vacant. Who knows?

The only reason I'd want Shrek to stay for a tad bit is to help with Potter crowds until they can think of a suitable and high quality replacement. The park will absolutely need the extra capacity...very much. I don't think they can afford to have it closed when Potter first opens.

As for a replacement, I'd really like to see a family dark ride. Doesn't have to be huge obviously, but I think a nice little dark ride could absolutely fit in Shrek's footprint if ALL the space is utilized, as well as they can add to the square footage by demolishing a few of the surrounding stores, NY street facade, etc.

Reactions: Freak and raffman
If Shrek is closed down, I have to wonder if Universal might just scramble something in there very quickly just to help with the Potter crush in 2016. Remember: behind the screen is still a stage. If not, it could sit vacant. Who knows?
I don't know. They seem to be going out of their way to keep this show running. I don't think they'd pump this much effort in just to turn it back into a show venue.

Then again, we've seen Universal do interesting things. Who knows. I've been talking with a few people about this very same topic and Shrek always manages to amaze me.

The only reason I'd want Shrek to stay for a tad bit is to help with Potter crowds until they can think of a suitable and high quality replacement. The park will absolutely need the extra capacity...very much. I don't think they can afford to have it closed when Potter first opens.

As for a replacement, I'd really like to see a family dark ride. Doesn't have to be huge obviously, but I think a nice little dark ride could absolutely fit in Shrek's footprint if ALL the space is utilized, as well as they can add to the square footage by demolishing a few of the surrounding stores, NY street facade, etc.
if there is one thing this park needs its definitely a DARK RIDE!  anything really! and it can be a family based ride , universal has dr,suess  and Nickelodeon characters to use. heck ill even take a spongebob or lorax ride. but the point is that this park needs one and it adds something new to the park.( no screens or simulator ) 

I don't know. They seem to be going out of their way to keep this show running. I don't think they'd pump this much effort in just to turn it back into a show venue.
True, but we're not talking the show closing tomorrow. It still is contracted for another good year to two years, and if that hallway doesn't get themed I'd start wondering. I mean, before I heard about the Merlin deal I thought there was no way in hell they would think about closing it anytime soon. I don't even think USH management would be happy about it, but the higher-ups might just enforce it. I'm not sure if they would want to renew, especially since it would most likely be a long renewal as always. 

If it does stay, this might be a situation similar to Marvel, where Orlando will have to shut their's down due to licensing conflicts but Hollywood may be able to keep it.

If it does stay, this might be a situation similar to Marvel, where Orlando will have to shut their's down due to licensing conflicts but Hollywood may be able to keep it.
Thats if Maddame Tussands doesn't get something like that in Hollywood also. Then you have a problem..

I'm so happy to hear about this Merlin deal. I can't stand to see Shrek any longer!

What I would LIKE to see replace Shrek: A new dark ride like Allen was talking about. Maybe they could bring the Lorax dark ride over here? Would there be enough space to expand behind Potter to do it? I don't see them doing it until at least 2020 though. For now, I think they'll just replace it with a new show. Either they'll move SES to Shrek and put a new show in Castle, of they could have a new show in Shrek. I say it will probably be the return of Beetlejuice.

Reactions: BernardMesa
I'm so happy to hear about this Merlin deal. I can't stand to see Shrek any longer!

What I would LIKE to see replace Shrek: A new dark ride like Allen was talking about. Maybe they could bring the Lorax dark ride over here? Would there be enough space to expand behind Potter to do it? I don't see them doing it until at least 2020 though. For now, I think they'll just replace it with a new show. Either they'll move SES to Shrek and put a new show in Castle, of they could have a new show in Shrek. I say it will probably be the return of Beetlejuice.
My guess is both theaters are bound for demolition and the land will be used to start fresh.

Yeah, I'd imagine that from now on, USH is gonna try to be light on shows and offer more "rides". If it was up to me, SES and Shrek get demoed for new rides, Animal Actors get evicted, and the Animal Actors theatre becomes fully enclosed and will be the new home of SES (Because USH really needs a special effects demonstration show! And AA is smaller than the Castle Theatre, so redoing AA for a new Special effects show would be fantastic).

What is this Merlin deal?  And are we confirmed that they have a pending contract negotiation?

I personally believe that something will be closed by late 2015 and will be undergoing demolition during Potter's opening in 2016.  I wanted to believe that everything would be open for Potter's debut summer (which is smart), but I have an itch that the park won't be completed with its re-imagining by then.  I personally could see Shrek not being replaced with anything and seeing the building demolished to only replace with different gift shops to help widen the streets.  Think about it...Potter is adding an attraction count higher than what we have seen in decades.  The elimination of Shrek would do what Wild West did...take us back down to a manageable attraction count.  Not what I want to hear, but it would be consistent with Universal in the past.

I do agree with a new property coming out that this old property would go away. I just don't see Shrek getting money to rebuild its queue once potter opens in 2016. That would be placing lots of money into a 13 year old attraction! Shrek is, IMO, done...soon.