Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF) | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I can see Shrek closing this year and VillainCon opening as next year's attraction.
If that’s so, they had better hop to it. I’m sure everyone would appreciate the time we’ve got left in the year to put it together. Last thing anyone wants is a half-baked attraction of any kind.

The original VillainCon rumor we'd heard a while back might have been intriguing. Not interested in a potential screen-based shooting gallery, however.

Just put SLOP there, please, Universal.
Yeeeah if we're able to choose, it's SLoP for me all day

....well if we're able to choose it's an Alfred Hitchcock omnimover...but you get what I'm saying

The VillainCon idea sounds fun and potentially allowing multiple variations which is intriguing

Reactions: belloq87
The original VillainCon rumor we'd heard a while back might have been intriguing. Not interested in a potential screen-based shooting gallery, however.

Just put SLOP there, please, Universal.
What was the original rumor? Is this the trackless ride they were thinking?

The original concept as I heard it was that we'd see a series of AA vignettes with various (wannabe) supervillains showing us some goofy technology.

I can't recall if there was talk of trackless.
If it’s only screens with sets around it making it villain con that’d stink for a walkthrough. Keep those AAs though and I’ll definitely try this

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The original concept as I heard it was that we'd see a series of AA vignettes with various (wannabe) supervillains showing us some goofy technology.

I can't recall if there was talk of trackless.
The only way it could be compelling is if it had some form of interactivity and point system...otherwise...blerp

In my mind there would be a few different courses it could take

Essentially a next gen TSMM

I really don't think SLOP is happening in Orlando... at least not without a fairly significant redesign. But as I've pointed out before, the franchise is not a priority for the company, dampening its prospects.
It seemed the SLOP merch did not sell well in Orlando since day one. That may well be one of the main reasons. The original trackless designs were estimated at 1920 capacity per hour by Universal. The
low capacity of the omnimover probably doesn't help matters. ...That said, I like what I've seen of the the ride a lot. But ,like you, I don't have much hope for it in Orlando.

I really don't think SLOP is happening in Orlando... at least not without a fairly significant redesign. But as I've pointed out before, the franchise is not a priority for the company, dampening its prospects.
That’s okay, do a similar ride for Minions though, make it 4 seats if possible to increase capacity. If the Orlando crew doesn’t at least learn a little from this ride and adapt it to something they’re designing, then that’s a shame.

So, some thoughts on Villain-Con...

My feeling is that this possible attraction would be (could be) meant to look "temporary" on purpose. Let me explain.

Villain Con Footage.mp4.Still003.jpg

• Villain-Con is set in Orlando.
  • Villain-Con, as with all "conventions" is itself a temporary exhibition.
  • Villain-Con is where the Minions originally met Gru, which was set up at the very end of the Minions spin off film, but will further be explored in the Minions sequel coming to theaters next year.
  • The Villain-Con attraction is rumored to open next year (see where I am going with this?)
  • Banners and "temporary" looking signage could replace the (already temporary looking) Shrek entryway sign.
  • For all intents and purposes, this attraction could very well just be a placeholder.
  • They gut the Shrek building, they slap in some "exhibits" and they open it as the 2022 attraction, tied to the new film's release, so they have something to promote for the year while building the new park and something new for Diagon for a bigger push the following year.
  • They don't need a big attraction for 2022 because they've opened Hagrid's and VelociCoaster (and to a lesser extent Bourne) that most casual guests haven't even had a chance to experience yet (two of which because they weren't traveling during the pandemic, and Hagrid because most undoubtedly it was broken down or they couldn't get a virtual line for it on their last trip lol).
Villain-Con is not the end of the road for this location, but instead could very well be a stepping stone between a show that's overstayed its welcome, and a possible (fingers crossed, one can dream) dark ride that this plot of land deserves... But only when they have the time and money to tear it down and do it right... someday... maybe.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Gru Talk.

My feeling is that this possible attraction would be (could be) meant to look "temporary" on purpose. Let me explain.

View attachment 14828

• Villain-Con is where the Minions originally met Gru, which was set up at the very end of the Minions spin off film, but will further be explored in the Minions sequel coming to theaters next year.
  • The Villain-Con attraction is rumored to open next year (see where I am going with this?)
  • Banners and "temporary" looking signage could replace the (already temporary looking) Shrek entryway sign.
  • For all intents and purposes, this attraction could very well just be a placeholder.
  • They gut the Shrek building, they slap in some "exhibits" and they open it as the 2022 attraction, tied to the new film's release, so they have something to promote for the year while building the new park and something new for Diagon for a bigger push the following year.
  • They don't need a big attraction for 2022 because they've opened Hagrid's and VelociCoaster (and to a lesser extent Bourne) that most casual guests haven't even had a chance to experience yet (two of which because they weren't traveling during the pandemic, and Hagrid because most undoubtedly it was broken down or they couldn't get a virtual line for it on their last trip lol).
Villain-Con is not the end of the road for this location, but instead could very well be a stepping stone between a show that's overstayed its welcome, and a possible (fingers crossed, one can dream) dark ride that this plot of land deserves... But only when they have the time and money to tear it down and do it right... someday... maybe.

dejected_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

I always appreciate you sharing what you can share... but I really hope this doesn't come to pass. It would be two steps further away from the correction I'd like to see happen at USF.

I don't understand why Universal can't build one SLOP-style dark ride at USF in the four years we have to wait before Epic Universe opens. The (hypothetical) combined budget of the broomstick simulator and the VillainCon idea couldn't be too dramatically less than SLOP, could it? I don't know how much it cost in Hollywood.

I always appreciate you sharing what you can share... but I really hope this doesn't come to pass. It would be two steps further away from the correction I'd like to see happen at USF.

I don't understand why Universal can't build one SLOP-style dark ride at USF in the four years we have to wait before Epic Universe opens. The (hypothetical) combined budget of the broomstick simulator and the VillainCon idea couldn't be too dramatically less than SLOP, could it? I don't know how much it cost in Hollywood.
Just a theory, but wanted to stick to the one attraction a year promise for some reason, even when they haven't started on next year's yet.

Also, and I should've made this more clear from the start... Villain-Con is likely not a done deal yet. Things can certainly change for this project between now and HHN ending.

Reactions: belloq87
and perhaps instead of closing Shrek and replacing it with Villain con, they just debut a rumored night time parade as their new USF pull attraction for 2022. More and more, especially with the extension of food booths/ festivals,
it seems Universal is, even more than before, accentuating the difference between Studio's, with it's live shows/entertainment, festivals, seasonal events, parades.....and the thrill ride/attraction dominated IOA. And, that's not a bad thing.

It seemed the SLOP merch did not sell well in Orlando since day one. That may well be one of the main reasons. The original trackless designs were estimated at 1920 capacity per hour by Universal. The
low capacity of the omnimover probably doesn't help matters. ...That said, I like what I've seen of the the ride a lot. But ,like you, I don't have much hope for it in Orlando.
If it's low capacity it's not a true omnimover. Omnimovers tend to have an extremely high throughput because of the nature of the continuous loading. What's limiting Universal is the fact that they only have cars with lap bar seats, so they can only do two per car so a family of 3 has to split up instead of all going together which is something done often on HM, LM or even SSE. As long as the lap bar is so restrictive to ops, then yes, capacity will be lowered.

and perhaps instead of closing Shrek and replacing it with Villain con, they just debut a rumored night time parade as their new USF pull attraction for 2022. More and more, especially with the extension of food booths/ festivals,
it seems Universal is, even more than before, accentuating the difference between Studio's, with it's live shows/entertainment, festivals, seasonal events, parades.....and the thrill ride/attraction dominated IOA. And, that's not a bad thing.
I think the parade is happening, but not sure they count that as their something new for the year. :shrug:

Because if they feel SLoP is an IP is not worth doubling down on, and if they don’t HAVE a SLoP-style dark ride already designed, it would take 3/4 years to get something developed at the earliest.

Last edited:

View attachment 14828

I hear you on all of this, completely and I feel you’re probably right to an extent. However reading this makes me be like “OMG JUST DO FREAKING SLOP THIS ISNT THAT COMPLICATED.”

And I know it likely is, but there isn’t anything rumored for 2024 at the moment, take the time and build SLOP if they don’t want it at Epic Universe. This feels like a lot extra work, thought, and planning for a new attraction if the plan is to tear that down eventually anyways, seems counter intuitive.

Just wish it was a shooting ride at the very least