Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF)

I hear you on all of this, completely and I feel you’re probably right to an extent. However reading this makes me be like “OMG JUST DO FREAKING SLOP THIS ISNT THAT COMPLICATED.”

And I know it likely is, but there isn’t anything rumored for 2024 at the moment, take the time and build SLOP if they don’t want it at Epic Universe. This feels like a lot extra work, thought, and planning for a new attraction if the plan is to tear that down eventually anyways, seems counter intuitive.

Just wish it was a shooting ride at the very least
I believe there is something planned for 2024, but just like 2022, I wouldn't expect anything too big. The year or two after Epic opens might be better for something grander at USF/IOA. Until then, they have bigger fish to fry so I am not expecting much tbh

I believe there is something planned for 2024, but just like 2022, I wouldn't expect anything too big. The year or two after Epic opens might be better for something grander at USF/IOA. Until then, they have bigger fish to fry so I am not expecting much tbh
Yeah, I feel LC and Kidzone replacements are projects #1 and #2 after Epic. I feel like if they really wanted Trolls, they’d try and strike that before Epic. I’m sure all $ is going towards Epic so that’s a dream. Also maybe allows time for a new IP to pop up for either plots. Kinda don’t feel they want to open another big immersive land until they open all their big lands at Epic.

Well, this thread's turned into quite a bummer!

So it basically feels like Universal has apparently given up on dark rides in a more traditional style at the resort, and as someone who values that sort of attraction, I don't love it. Or at best, getting a new one in USF is far, far away from any sort of priority (despite hearing for several years now that Universal is "aware" of the same-y quality of a lot of that park's attractions line-up).

Fans of other attraction types have been majorly catered-to over the last decade, but it's now been 21 years since Men in Black: Alien Attack (the last non-media-heavy dark ride to open at Universal Orlando).

I desperately hope I'm being overly-pessimistic.

So it basically feels like Universal has apparently given up on dark rides in a more traditional style at the resort, and as someone who values that sort of attraction, I don't love it. Or at best, getting a new one in USF is far, far away from any sort of priority (despite hearing for several years now that Universal is "aware" of the same-y quality of a lot of that park's attractions line-up).

Fans of other attraction types have been majorly catered-to over the last decade, but it's now been 21 years since Men in Black: Alien Attack (the last non-media-heavy dark ride to open at Universal Orlando).

I think this is an overreaction. Mario Kart, whether it’s your type of ride or not, is a dark ride. Technology is just changing. We also need to see the rest of the new rides they’ve planned for EU, which to me so far, sounds like their response to the whole “screenz” stuff, so I think it’s best to wait until then. This minion attraction isn’t the end all be all for their future.

Now I don’t disagree this choice is disappointing of course.

Other than Pets, (which has its detractors due to restraints) I have heard nothing but negative things when Universal attempts to create classic style dark rides.

I think Cat in the Hat is a perfect example of this, a ride that's just as good, (if not better,) than many Disney style classic Fantasyland rides, yet people crap on it non-stop.

Madagascar boat ride in Singapore seems to be exactly what everyone claims they want Universal to do, yet I hear it referred to as a failure all the time on forums and social media.

And don't even get me started on how fast everyone turned on Universal once Yoshi was open, a ride type that everyone around here has seemingly been begging for for decades. Or Mario Kart, which is far more dark ride than anyone seems to want to admit for some reason

MiB thankfully has its fans.

I don't think Universal is giving up on dark rides... As @Legacy said, they just may not want to do Pets, and it'll be a few years before something else gets designed. I bet you anything we get a new dark ride of some sort in KidZone, but that's still going to be after Epic Universe.

Universal hasn't given up on classic dark rides, so much as they hardly ever build them to begin with.

I think you are.

If Universal didn’t care about “traditional dark rides,” Super Nintendo World wouldn’t be exactly what it is. We also know that Universal was heavily looking at SLoP for Orlando. There are just a lot of variables involved in doing that. Mainly, if the IP isn’t pushing merch and the movies aren’t performing well, Orlando is going to be less inclined to invest heavily in the IP (for all the tech of Bourne, it was likely cheaper to create than a ride would be and it’s possibly pushing more merch than they anticipate SLoP would). For whatever reason, SLoP isn’t a priority for Orlando.

So, now, if Universal wants to create a dark ride without the SLoP theming, they have to create a new ride. In the best of times, a ride takes 3-4 years to develop from scratch (unless it’s off-the-shelf). But now, Orlando’s priority is a new park. Oh, and they fired most of their designers because of the pandemic and they’re (slowly) getting a work force back.

But they want something in the interim. They have a Villain-Con concept that is likely not fully developed, but could fairly easily and cheaply be used as a media-centric walk-through for a 2-3 years while they finalize a full ride design.

No where is anyone saying Universal “has given up on dark rides.” What we’re saying is things need time.

Other than Pets, (which has its detractors due to restraints) I have heard nothing but negative things when Universal attempts to create classic style dark rides.

I think Cat in the Hat is a perfect example of this, a ride that's just as good, (if not better,) than many Disney style classic Fantasyland rides, yet people crap on it non-stop.

Madagascar boat ride in Singapore seems to be exactly what everyone claims they want Universal to do, yet I hear it referred to as a failure all the time on forums and social media.

And don't even get me started on how fast everyone turned on Universal once Yoshi was open, a ride type that everyone around here has seemingly been begging for for decades. Or Mario Kart, which is far more dark ride than anyone seems to want to admit for some reason

MiB thankfully has its fans.

I don't think Universal is giving up on dark rides... As @Legacy said, they just may not want to do Pets, and it'll be a few years before something else gets designed. I bet you anything we get a new dark ride of some sort in KidZone, but that's still going to be after Epic Universe.

Universal hasn't given up on classic dark rides, so much as they hardly ever build them to begin with.
1625593414741.gif

These are my feelings. No one liked Yoshi, never here talk about CITH, and Madagascar looks great to me but I hear no one discuss it. Then people try and say MK isn’t a dark ride and I just don’t know what people want sometimes.

And I dont mean to pile on on any one person, (sorry @belloq87) because I do agree. I dont like some of the ideas we're hearing about either.

But I do like the idea of a new park, and honestly, I'm kind of surprised that they would even be entertaining the idea of adding ANY attractions between now and the new park opening.

View attachment 14829

These are my feelings. No one liked Yoshi, never here talk about CITH, and Madagascar looks great to me but I hear no one discuss it. Then people try and say MK isn’t a dark ride and I just don’t know what people want sometimes.
They want something entirely practical but not for kids.

Which completely ignores how media-heavy SLoP is.

I think this is a big point, kids want stuff that is fast, flashy, and exciting. A new ride that is the same as a ride from the 90s/early 2000s doesn’t work more. Kids, and most adults frankly, are on screens constantly where things are extremely animated, it’s incredibly difficult to replicate that physically.

I think this is an overreaction. Mario Kart, whether it’s your type of ride or not, is a dark ride. Technology is just changing. We also need to see the rest of the new rides they’ve planned for EU, which to me so far, sounds like their response to the whole “screenz” stuff, so I think it’s best to wait until then.
If Universal didn’t care about “traditional dark rides,” Super Nintendo World wouldn’t be exactly what it is.
I should have clarified that I meant at the existing resort.

Mario Kart looks good, and I remain hopeful for the Monsters and Wizarding World rides.

Well, the people saying that stuff are wrong!

And I dont mean to pile on on any one person, (sorry @belloq87) because I do agree.
It's okay, I probably deserve it most of the time!

I'm rather opinionated when it comes to USF, and that could come across as overbearing.

There may be media, but the totality of the experience looks much more in an old-school vein. Seems kind of exactly what a C+ or D-minus ticket Fantasyland dark ride (i.e. no attempted "thrill" components) should be like in the 21st century.

I should have clarified that I meant at the existing resort.

Mario Kart looks good, and I remain hopeful for the Monsters and Wizarding World rides.

Well, the people saying that stuff are wrong!

It's okay, I probably deserve it most of the time!

I'm rather opinionated when it comes to USF, and that could come across as overbearing.

There may be media, but the totality of the experience looks much more in an old-school vein. Seems kind of exactly what a C+ or D-minus ticket Fantasyland dark ride (i.e. no attempted "thrill" components) should be like in the 21st century.
I agree with all your points here, especially SLOP being the best modern rep of a more classic/old school ride. Plus no one would disagree I think regarding the rumored replacement here, or the Studios current state really I think. I like the park but that has a lot to do with the shows and parade and festivals now which frankly, shouldn’t be the draw for me, who is a tourist!

I think patience will only be good to us. 2030 UOR will be sooooo different

An idea is an idea, its the execution of the idea that matters most. Some ideas on paper sound boring but I think Villian-Con as a walk through has way more potential than people are giving it. Because its a walk through, it is actually going to have to have more to do to support the number of guests going through it compared to an actual ride. Assuming the ride had 8 booths, Universal is going to have to put in more booths to support the capacity and not have people bunching up and crowding inside because people in lines aren't buying things.

Because if they feel SLoP is an IP is not worth doubling down on, and if they don’t HAVE a SLoP-style dark ride already designed, it would take 3/4 years to get something developed at the earliest.
Sometimes it's not about the IP though. I mean, they built a Bourne show for goodness sakes. Disney is building a Tron coaster.

People don't care about IP, they care about good rides. More importantly, rides that their kids can go on, which USF has almost none of right now. Families will little kids tend to walk out of USF very disappointed in my experience (which is plentiful seeing that i've worked as a TM answering guest questions often).

Sometimes it's not about the IP though. I mean, they built a Bourne show for goodness sakes. Disney is building a Tron coaster.

People don't care about IP, they care about good rides. More importantly, rides that their kids can go on, which USF has almost none of right now. Families will little kids tend to walk out of USF very disappointed in my experience (which is plentiful seeing that i've worked as a TM answering guest questions often).
Except, from a business-decision-making aspect, the IP DOES matter. Will the IP sell merch? Tron does, because it has a distinct aesthetic and retro-appeal. Is the IP popular and recognizable? Bourne is a $1.6 billion-dollar IP from global box-office takes where the amount gradually increased with each film. SLoP saw its total take drop in half in its first sequel and it’s obviously not moving merch (if it were, it would still be in the park). All that points to a franchise on the downward slope. So, from a business perspective, why invest a brand new ride in it? Why replace an IP that still moves merch (Shrek) with an IP that doesn’t?

Creatively, I would love classic dark ride themed to SLoP or Shrek or friggin’ Matilda. But I also recognize why, financially, a resort focused on sell vacation packages doesn’t want to invest in an IP that (their numbers show) wouldn’t increase profits.

The day Shrek closes will be crazy. It is one of those dreams that seems incredibly unrealistic! It has survived way too long.

Bring on Villancon!
Consider the following: Shrek has outlived T2, BTTF, Twister, the Boneyard, Earthquake, Disaster, Jaws, Jimmy Neutron’s, Beetlejuice, and - just for funsies - that weird World Expo area.

Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

Except, from a business-decision-making aspect, the IP DOES matter. Will the IP sell merch? Tron does, because it has a distinct aesthetic and retro-appeal. Is the IP popular and recognizable? Bourne is a $1.6 billion-dollar IP from global box-office takes where the amount gradually increased with each film. SLoP saw its total take drop in half in its first sequel and it’s obviously not moving merch (if it were, it would still be in the park). All that points to a franchise on the downward slope. So, from a business perspective, why invest a brand new ride in it? Why replace an IP that still moves merch (Shrek) with an IP that doesn’t?

Creatively, I would love classic dark ride themed to SLoP or Shrek or friggin’ Matilda. But I also recognize why, financially, a resort focused on sell vacation packages doesn’t want to invest in an IP that (their numbers show) wouldn’t increase profits.
I mean, if they want to keep Shrek in that space and use the Slop ride with Shrek as the IP, then i'd be cool with that. I really wouldn't be about another Despicable Me ride though.