Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF) | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I didn’t say “for kids.” I said “kid-friendly.” There’s a difference. A Day in the Park with Barney was “for kids.” ET Adventure is “kid-friendly.”
Jeez, ya really got it out for me pal.

EDIT: I'd say Camp Jurassic and Redwood Creek fit within that 'kid-friendly' distinction. Their great ambiance certainly makes them not just 'for kids'.

Who had Minions laser tag on their expansion spec maps?

Honestly, Minion themed laser tag with projection mapping (hoping for that situation than just standard flats) isn't a bad idea. If anything, it might even be fun. We have technology that works, especially when you look at Special Ops: Infected from Scary Farm.

Reactions: natespf
food for thought: the attraction begins in a small little pre-show, as small groups of 5 are walking around Villain Con with little blasters that are then returned to TM's, as they shoot and cause a mixture of digital and practical effects (even if the practical effects are more simple)?

Are you asking if I think that's worthwhile enough to justify being in the same park as MIB? On paper, sure, I guess. There's a version of what you just described that I might enjoy quite a bit. It's all about the execution. If there's a lot of physical setpieces and elements interacting with projected stuff, that might be neat. If it's "walk to this screen and play an interactive mini video game, then walk to the next screen and play an interactive mini video game," that wouldn't be too neat to me. Given the timetable (it seems Universal wants this open by next summer-ish, and they haven't started yet), I'm expecting much more the latter than the former. I'm open to the possibility of being wrong.

Now, am I also miffed that Universal's apparently not putting a dark ride on this plot (for quite some time, at least), therefore making me somewhat disinclined to be favorable towards this whole concept? Yes. I have to be honest and put my cards on the table on that front.

Are you asking if I think that's worthwhile enough to justify being in the same park as MIB? On paper, sure, I guess. There's a version of what you just described that I might enjoy quite a bit. It's all about the execution. If there's a lot of physical setpieces and elements interacting with projected stuff, that might be neat. If it's "walk to this screen and play an interactive mini video game, then walk to the next screen and play an interactive mini video game," that wouldn't be too neat to me. Given the timetable (it seems Universal wants this open by next summer-ish, and they haven't started yet), I'm expecting much more the latter than the former. I'm open to the possibility of being wrong.

Now, am I also miffed that Universal's apparently not putting a dark ride on this plot (for quite some time, at least), therefore making me somewhat disinclined to be favorable towards this whole concept? Yes. I have to be honest and put my cards on the table on that front.

The way I view it, might be different from the way others. In that, if they are looking at what Knotts has been able to achieve with a walkthrough shooter attraction, and then having it for year round operations without the need of live actors, that they will need to make the environment feel as a 360 experience from the moment you get your gun, to the moment you hand the gun back. I also wonder how far along this has been in development, as there might be more bells and whistles to the technology than I think many may be expecting out of this.

Just my own personal philosophy on the subject, but I do see a good amount of potential with this, from looking at Special Ops: Infected.

Jeez, ya really got it out for me pal.

EDIT: I'd say Camp Jurassic and Redwood Creek fit within that 'kid-friendly' distinction. Their great ambiance certainly makes them not just 'for kids'.
I didn’t intend my post with any malice. I was just trying to clarify my thought process on it.

Man, it's gotten to the point where it's gonna be weird to actually see Shrek go away. It's just always been there, being as mediocre as ever.

If anyone needs me, I'll be outside making peace with the loss of the medieval garb the employees wear, and the standard definition clips of bonus features ripped from the Shrek 1 dvd they play on loop. Gifts are appreciated during this trying time.

If they've really found a worthwhile way to upgrade this location for daily ops and manage to still keep half of the location for HHN to be able to use as you guys are saying, then I think I can finally buy this thing biting the dust. UOR never seemed to show too much interest in bringing over SLoP.

Last edited:
Until I have kids or go with nieces/nephews, this is now 1 less attraction for me to do at USF. If I’m there for a week this definitely gets done as it’s something to do, and perfect place to kill time in the rain if a show isn’t running. Not saying it shouldn’t be replaced but the Villain Con concept sounds genuinely poor, even for kids. Just my opinion, it sounds super duper cheap.

Until I have kids or go with nieces/nephews, this is now 1 less attraction for me to do at USF. If I’m there for a week this definitely gets done as it’s something to do, and perfect place to kill time in the rain if a show isn’t running. Not saying it shouldn’t be replaced but the Villain Con concept sounds genuinely poor, even for kids. Just my opinion, it sounds super duper cheap.
In my head, it sounds like the boss challenges from SNW. Only compacted into a single building with a linear structure.

Which would be a much better time than what’s there now.

In my head, it sounds like the boss challenges from SNW. Only compacted into a single building with a linear structure.

Which would be a much better time than what’s there now.
It sounds even less than that though, just simple due to spacing. If this is just the Bowser Jr section of that attraction than.... eh?

It would be multiple “bosses,” or convention booths. Take Midway Mania and make it a practical walkthrough. You may not enjoy it, but kids and families would likely love it.
I’m not denying that, just was speaking from a personal stance. Not saying it may not be enjoyed but when there’s other options.....

Reactions: belloq87
The only thing I fear about this concept is calling it “Villain Con”. While I’ve seen the movie and understand that there’s film precedent for this, I imagine that there is going to be a subset of kids who haven’t seen this movie and are going to be thrown by the inclusion of the word “villain” in the title.

I just remember when I was a kid that attractions that had names with “Haunted”, “Terror” “Scary”, etc. were a hard sell. I guess plaster this with Minions and it should be fine.

The only thing I fear about this concept is calling it “Villain Con”. While I’ve seen the movie and understand that there’s film precedent for this, I imagine that there is going to be a subset of kids who haven’t seen this movie and are going to be thrown by the inclusion of the word “villain” in the title.

I just remember when I was a kid that attractions that had names with “Haunted”, “Terror” “Scary”, etc. were a hard sell. I guess plaster this with Minions and it should be fine.
Helps that the upcoming sequel will probably start in Villain-Con. When the Minions first meet Gru.

Reactions: Disneyson1
Or they could just do that from the start instead of putting in a cheap and quick "placeholder" (that will be there for who knows how many years). And if it takes until 2024 or whenever to get it open, so be it.

Sure, but they're not. So it is what it is. USF getting 2 new attractions in the next 2 years is good. I'm not going to complain.