Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

All I can say is Thank God SFMM maintenance had the sense to close Apocalypse to replace all the worn track before this new CEO could cut the department down to bare bones (which he now has). This guy wants to run Six Flags as though these parks can run themselves, and I believe with everything in me, that the El Toro accident is the end result.
Yup. Dark days are unfortunately ahead for this park.

Just visited today. Walked on to basically everything, with one train ops. My friend stayed in his back row seat for 4 cycles without getting up on Wonder Woman.

But the vibe wasn't that bad. I enjoyed the coasters I rode, and didn't see any bad behavior, despite the crowd being almost entirely teens. Magic Mountain is still full of potential, and I enjoy what's there when I can. I root for the park to succeed, whether under Six Flags management or anyone else.

All I can say is Thank God SFMM maintenance had the sense to close Apocalypse to replace all the worn track before this new CEO could cut the department down to bare bones (which he now has). This guy wants to run Six Flags as though these parks can run themselves, and I believe with everything in me, that the El Toro accident is the end result.

I do personally worry about safety now which i never have ever :/

Braved the heat for about 1/2 the day, and had some minor updates from the park:

• A few food locations have new, updated tables and chairs (I saw outside the Ice Cream/Shakes place, and Plaza Cafe)
  • Tatsu station has been freshly repainted orange and green
  • All attractions at the top of the hill (Superman, Ninja, and Magic Mover/Funicular) are closed until Fright Fest begins
  • Apocalypse is still down
  • New exit store by Wonder Woman is now open (just the usual merch as far as I could tell, though)
  • Teen Titan Turbo Spin is finally open and fully decorated (the old Metropolis facade next to it is still being worked on)
  • The old Chop Six Asian food place by Viper is being turned into a Primo's Pizzeria, I saw them changing out the signs in the park today (though the location itself wasn't open at all)
  • If doing prefered parking, they now place a large laminated tag under your windshield wiper, which is removed when you pull into the actual parking area. It did make directing traffic a lot easier

Holiday weekend and it is a ghost town. So many rides down or ooen late. I am worried SFMM is heading in the wrong direction. To be fair it is 104 right now so I am drinking beer and hoping not to melt. 894BD0AA-5D62-442B-AB38-27E4474D3330.jpg990FDE2E-0293-44AB-907E-F08F209B75B6.jpeg

1) park has never had enough shade
2) They are pricing people out without offering any new premium rides for the new prices
3) They cant keep rides open or close them for no reason

I had an AP to this park for years the best one but I got tired of coming in and Justice league just not being open, and most coasters have issues during the day as well or dont open on time, water fountains are random turned off sometimes to and it gets hot as hell.
It just should not cost near the price it does for how bad its managed, lack of ride variety, lack of shade/cool when its always gotten over 100 degree's in most summers.

I just got back from a morning at USH and it was getting packed with good reason, the rides are open, more shade/shows to hide from the heat and just a better park expedience sure it doesn't have a big coaster but obviously that doesn't matter.

2) They are pricing people out without offering any new premium rides for the new prices

I had an AP to this park for years the best one but I got tired of coming in and Justice league just not being open, and most coasters have issues during the day as well or dont open on time, water fountains are random turned off sometimes to and it gets hot as hell.
It just should not cost near the price it does for how bad its managed, lack of ride variety, lack of shade/cool when its always gotten over 100 degree's in most summers.

I just got back from a morning at USH and it was getting packed with good reason, the rides are open, more shade/shows to hide from the heat and just a better park expedience sure it doesn't have a big coaster but obviously that doesn't matter.

This is exactly it. You can’t implement a more premium pricing strategy if you can’t deliver a more premium product. No flagship park should just decide to close several key coasters (among other experiences) to save cash.

I do think the lack of crowds this weekend is due to the unbearable heat, but these factors will not help them.

This is exactly it. You can’t implement a more premium pricing strategy if you can’t deliver a more premium product. No flagship park should just decide to close several key coasters (among other experiences) to save cash.

I do think the lack of crowds this weekend is due to the unbearable heat, but these factors will not help them.
Agreed but they need to address the heat with more trees/shade and more fans.

They choose cheaper land in hot area's for most parks...well you have to now pay for ways to cool off or me as someone who is not a teen have zero interest in being hot as hell to ride a coaster

They need to cover more walkways and they need more shows for people to get out of the heat as well

Could we be looking at SFMM becoming the next CGA as the booming construction around it makes the land far more valuable as a other development? Not to mention many businesses itching to get out of unsustainable California? I would have laughed at that 10 years ago. Today, not so much.

To be fair Universal has about 1/4 of the rides at Magic Mountain. They better keep all their rides open.

To be fair Universal has about 1/4 of the rides at Magic Mountain. They better keep all their rides open.
lol fair

But if half of six flags rides are closed then is only double the rides and once again no ride variety and no shows.

Teens might want only thrills but most people over that want more then just coasters, especially families

Could we be looking at SFMM becoming the next CGA as the booming construction around it makes the land far more valuable as a other development? Not to mention many businesses itching to get out of unsustainable California? I would have laughed at that 10 years ago. Today, not so much.
I’m gonna be real: I think this could be a possibility.

I’m gonna give Selim the benefit of the doubt and assume he’s going for the “take a year off to start over” approach to focus on park improvements, but putting the cart before the horse with the pricing isn’t helping SFMM.if his plan doesn’t work out, I think the company will be in big trouble and we’ll be back in the 2006 scenario.

I am no expert in the housing market, but I know a lot of people trying to leave the state, not move in. And even if you are moving to CA, who on earth can afford to buy a house in CA, not even considering the property taxes!? If they were to sell it to some developers, I don’t think it would be for more housing. I don’t think the current economy would be favorable for more houses.

I would love for SFMM to be sold to Hershend or maaaaaybe Cedar Fair (IDK about Sea World though), but would Hershend of those park chains want to bother with an already saturated theme park market and deal with California? I k ow they were interested in SFMM in the past but that was before Covid. I have to imagine the developers would offer a stupid amount of money for SFMM over any theme park company.

I’m gonna be real: I think this could be a possibility.

I’m gonna give Selim the benefit of the doubt and assume he’s going for the “take a year off to start over” approach to focus on park improvements, but putting the cart before the horse with the pricing isn’t helping SFMM.if his plan doesn’t work out, I think the company will be in big trouble and we’ll be back in the 2006 scenario.

I am no expert in the housing market, but I know a lot of people trying to leave the state, not move in. And even if you are moving to CA, who on earth can afford to buy a house in CA, not even considering the property taxes!? If they were to sell it to some developers, I don’t think it would be for more housing. I don’t think the current economy would be favorable for more houses.

I would love for SFMM to be sold to Hershend or maaaaaybe Cedar Fair (IDK about Sea World though), but would Hershend of those park chains want to bother with an already saturated theme park market and deal with California? I k ow they were interested in SFMM in the past but that was before Covid. I have to imagine the developers would offer a stupid amount of money for SFMM over any theme park company.
Thats just what people say

Its not much but we are not shrinking like people in the media and certain states that dislike us want you to believe.

If somehow the people who are making the houses near Six Flags could get that land they would take it in a second.

They've listened. As far as I've been told.

There is more interest in SFMM and Fiesta Texas than any others in the chain, if only they didn't come with such a high price tag.

SFMM when it's operating on all cylinders comes with an easy 3.5 million visitors a year. Give that park better operations and theming and it could be Cedar Point of the west coast.

It boggles my mind how wild and loose SF has been with such great potential.

Per the Calendar in November and December the park is closed most weekdays Tuesday-Thursday

Also found this, someone can tell me if it is policy to remove rides like this person was.

There was an incident at Darien Lake back in 2011 where a double amputee died after falling off a ride. I think SF changed their policies to bar people without all 2 hands and 2 feet from riding their rides. It looks like they've backed off of that somewhat after a similar incident in 2018, but I don't know if they ever clarified the guidelines.

EDIT: I had the first date wrong and clarified when they made changes.