Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think they’ll sell it off to someone else before they just shut it down.
Six flags is in a very difficult position financially. Investors are pushing to split off the real estate. It's clear all options are on the table. But...I don’t understand why other theme park companies wouldn't make them an offer they couldn't refuse. I'll still keep my impossible wish that this becomes Universal Hollywood's second gate lol

They haven't received offers but I am under the impression they have at least offered the park to several suitors. One being Herschend which lead nowhere and the other being the infamous Cedar Fair possible acquisition which also lead no where.

They haven't received offers but I am under the impression they have at least offered the park to several suitors. One being Herschend which lead nowhere and the other being the infamous Cedar Fair possible acquisition which also lead no where.
Didnt we hear this same rumor like back in 2006? (When six flags last sold off a bunch of parks?)

i am pretty sure its more likely to be sold to another company (like CF etc) than be shutdown entirely.

im also sure that Valencia would throw a fit if it gets poop down given what it would do to the local economy

Didnt we hear this same rumor like back in 2006? (When six flags last sold off a bunch of parks?)

i am pretty sure its more likely to be sold to another company (like CF etc) than be shutdown entirely.

im also sure that Valencia would throw a fit if it gets poop down given what it would do to the local economy

Valencia's politics are changing, fast. The real estate Market views SFMM as nothing more than an obstacle in the way. But you are right about its local impact regardless, especially considering the Sky Tower is a landmark.

All I've heard is that they've weighed the option of eventually saying, its days are coming to an end. It's really really sad, especially considering how shafted it has gotten.

If they want to kill this park for good, sell it to Cedar Fair. It's fate would be sealed lol.

No one wants this park. It would take too much money to fix it to the standards of another operator, and changing the existing IPs alone would be a nightmare.

I could maybe see Sea World having the most interest or Warner Bros, but imo, the park would still suck under either of those.

Nope, most likely this park will continue to build rollercoasters, because any other path will simply lead to sagging attendance.

Of course they could pull a CGA and sell it off for land development, but I just don't see that happening soon enough to impact any of us. We'll all be old when that happens.

Reactions: Freak and chris.g
I think they’ll sell it off to someone else before they just shut it down.
If someone will buy it

But whats your pitch, hey we do a bunch of things that upset customers. So to get them back in a timely manner you will either have to
1) offer the old six flags discounts/perk and have a harder time making your money back
2) Invest into the park a lot and make some money but you have to invest a good amount

I feel they have put themselves in just a bad position, they dont want to baby sit teens, they dont have enough kid/family rides for families, perks for all memberships are just worst but cost the same if not more and the parks are just run poorly. I see post after post online about people going to the park and riding 4 rides within 12+ hours because of the lines, the park isn't even open all days now and many times when you get to the parks many rides are just down....because.

I used to love going but they slowly just made it feel like they didn't value me or any guests really, and while maybe you could go on a weekday with a coupon and it would be a good enough time......its like 35 bucks just to park so even now with a good deal your easily spending 100 bucks without food and why do that when you could go to other parks for a little but know you'll just have a more consistent time.

I know many loveeeeee coasters but there is also that little fact that as you get older most people can't do more then a few coasters in a day anyway....so most people don't need a park with 20 coasters. I feel like the park is just in a really bad spot from its own management and considering its like the only park in Southern CA that's not seeing a growth after the pandemic speaks to that.

Actually, SFMM had a pretty good 2021. After being in lockdown with everything closed, people flocked to the park. That was their chance to rebuild some trust with guests and draw them back. What did they do instead? They raised prices, cheapened the experience, left major rides closed, built a new coaster and barely marketed it, and went back to the same pre pandemic cost cutting as before.

Meanwhile, SFFT which should be a mid tier park, has been elevated to elite status, while they let their cash cow rot with so much cost cutting the park can barely run.

Perhaps the ultimate goal is to burn the park down.

Reactions: chris.g and Freak
I had no problems with the park until they raised prices, cheapened the experience, didn't have major rides opened consistently, and had to drop 365 ops. Plus all the rumblings where they're having difficulties with ride maintenance labor made me a little worried.

For a while, I honestly felt the park was making huge improvements... and for a bit, it was actually my favorite park to visit.
  • They've improved the park entrance security
  • Membership early entry is/was a nice perk
  • Reserving preferred parking is a nice perk for memberships
  • Using the app for FOL/Flashpass is actually pretty good (better than Genie+, IMO)
  • They were adding more drink refill stations,
  • Mobile ordering was actually pretty decent (better than Disney, IMO)
  • Most rides were doing multiple train ops, even on slow weekdays

But recently, with so many closed rides, lots of rides not opening on time, rides opening and closing throughout the day, and the rides that are opening typically on single train ops, they're starting to lose me. And, by the sounds of all the guests around me who are also upset about the huge number of closed rides. It's causing huge negative word of mouth on social media, and unless they can get more rides open soon, I don't see that turning around. It's sad, and while I'd very much like the park to succeed, if it's going to continue to be run this way, it should just be put out of it's misery. And I lay the blame squarely with the CEO of SF.

It has been testing for little over a week. Not sure what happened to the supposed paint job, as focus has shifted to a couple other areas of the park. The park has been super secretive as to what they're up to. Not even supervisors know what's up (they usually leak everything )

I could imagine the park was getting an earful for having so, so many rides closed for so long. It was crazy to have Goliath, Riddler, Jet Stream, Roaring Rapids, X2, Full Throttle, and Superman (and on many days, WW was either down or had a very delayed opening). That doesn't even include other intermittently closed rides like JL and Drop of Doom. And Swashbuckler has been out for the count for nearly half a year by now. For a good period, they literally had more closed rides than open.

I am happy more rides are opening, but I'm also hoping they're not being run with mostly single train ops. I've heard X2 has been single train, but when other rides like Revolution, Ninja, and FT are also single train ops, it's not much better.

How are crowds these days? Also lines?

I'm assuming crowds are downs but lines are the same with all the closed coasters

Screamscape is reporting rumors of a DC Universe expansion. Unless they plan on reutilizing those structures creatively (LOL this is SFMM. Of course they won't), I really don't like the sound of this. Are they just going to pave over the buildings, put a slab of concrete, move the Scrambler over there and call it a day?
Very possible. Look what happened with the “new” DC universe when WWFC opened. Concrete everywhere, a few tables, no trees/shade and call it a day. Same thing happened with the areas for Full throttle, west coast racers, justice league, and probably samurai summit soon.