Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm totally convinced it's the family launch coaster, especially after that video. Here are also my reasons:

1) SFMM has gotten feedback that there aren't any family attractions in the park. Heck, there aren't any real family coasters in the park. Gold Rusher is it. This would definitely help balance things out.
2) Think about it. West Coast Racers sounds a little too "soft"of a name to be a substantial thrill ride.
3) Just because it's supposed to be the fastest launch with dueling track doesn't mean it's going to be thrilling. Superman and Battlestar Galactica duel, but they don't launch very fast.
4) It looks on-par with what a typical Six Flags big investment would be. I mean, a dueling coaster that's pretty thrilling would be pretty expensive, right? Unless each lane is ten seconds. lol

If this is what it turns out to be....talk about misleading so many people to disappointment. I can't wait to see the internet explode if this is it. At least we have CGA's hyper and Knott's new coaster in 2020 to make up for that disappointment.

Last edited:
I'm totally convinced it's the family launch coaster, especially after that video. Here are also my reasons:

1) SFMM has gotten feedback that there aren't any family attractions in the park. Heck, there aren't any real family coasters in the park. Gold Rusher is it. This would definitely help balance things out.
2) Think about it. West Coast Racers sounds a little too "soft"of a name to be a substantial thrill ride.
3) Just because it's supposed to be the fastest launch with dueling track doesn't mean it's going to be thrilling. Superman and Battlestar Galactica duel, but they don't launch very fast.
4) It looks on-par with what a typical Six Flags big investment would be. I mean, a dueling coaster that's pretty thrilling would be pretty expensive, right? Unless each lane is ten seconds. lol

If this is what it turns out to be....talk about misleading so many people to disappointment. I can't wait to see the internet explode if this is it. At least we have CGA's hyper and Knott's new coaster in 2020 to make up for that disappointment.

Bruh, I know you've put me on the ignore list, but that was a great post.

Of course they need more family coasters. But #20 needed to be among the best imo. The other coaster coming is probably that crazy looking Superman revamp. Again, what's with these 20 second Rides?

Meanwhile, have fun watching SF Great America steal the spotlight.

Agreed. This will be a giant missed opportunity for the park for doing a truly special coaster for #20. I think we all know in our gut that this is going to be a family coaster. If you want to see the GP reaction, just look at all the comments on the video that I posted previously and other sources. Again, this is the target audience of SFMM & their bread and butter.

"RIP My hopes and dreams"

"I hate six flags now family oriented are you fricking kidding me"

"EVERYONE CALM DOWN. We shall be patient and wait for the official announcement!"

"Magic Mountain better start polishing up that silver platter that they're gonna hand their Thrill Capital of the World title over to Cedar Point on."

"I really hope all of this isn’t true"

Obviously, these are just comments on the internet, but it's interesting to see the OVERWHELMING negative response this rumor is having so far. Again, not just from enthusiasts. It's funny to me seeing the false optimism some are having such as saying that they can't wait for a GIGA in 2021 for their 50th anniversary. Lol If the park isn't going all out for their 20th, forget about the 50th.

Last edited:
If Universal Orlando got this ride instead of Supercharged for a Fast and Furious attraction, I bet it would be well received.

I would imagine some would still complain, if it were. But, it'd be a hell of an improvement than the Drupercharged they (and Hollywood) have.

Hypothetically..if it's a family dueling accelerator..I would be somewhat fine. It would have to depend on how it's handled, but I would think it'd be a great fit, alongside additions like JL & Crazanity.

It'd start to diversify the park more, from more than being a thrill capital. But, it depends on how it's played out and handled from the rest. The only two "family" coasters in the park, are Gold Rusher and Ninja. The rest are all prominently thrill oriented or kid oriented. There isn't a middle ground quite established in that aspect, IMO.

(EDIT: Going to classify that at this point, I'm not going to say anything of a rumor at this point. If there's anything I've learned, is that I can be an idiot when saying a rumor, :dance:)

Last edited:
Although the 20th should’ve been something massive and with all that land in the back, a family Coaster is necessary at the park. I can ride SoCal family coasters like Space Mountain, Manta, Sierra Sidewinder, and Thundermountain over and over. However, after a few rides on Riddler’s, Silver Bullet, Electric Eel, and Tatsu it gets to be a little too much intensity for people. Bringing more families to park means more profits because teens, don’t spend a penny while they are there.

Reactions: chris.g and Freak
I’m honestly really disappointed that this is looking more likely to be the new coaster. I’ve accepted our fate at this point....HOWEVER....

As much as we don’t like this, I think this is an excellent business decision for SFMM. Like I said earlier, there are like, two actual family rides (JL and Gold Rusher)...well, three if you
count Road Runner. I think they would really benefit from this and will really diversify the park, like Alex said. I don’t think a tamer coaster could hurt after a few rides on TC or X2.

Also, who’s to say it’s gonna suck? I can see this having serious potential as being about as thrilling as Manta at SWSD or USF’s Mummy; both of which are pretty solid rides.

Hey, you know, this doesn’t sound so bad after all as I post this. Hopefully we’ll get another big coaster later down the line, but for now, I can’t wait for the announcement just to see the angry feedback. >:)

I’m honestly really disappointed that this is looking more likely to be the new coaster. I’ve accepted our fate at this point....HOWEVER....

As much as we don’t like this, I think this is an excellent business decision for SFMM. Like I said earlier, there are like, two actual family rides (JL and Gold Rusher)...well, three if you
count Road Runner. I think they would really benefit from this and will really diversify the park, like Alex said. I don’t think a tamer coaster could hurt after a few rides on TC or X2.

Also, who’s to say it’s gonna suck? I can see this having serious potential as being about as thrilling as Manta at SWSD or USF’s Mummy; both of which are pretty solid rides.

Hey, you know, this doesn’t sound so bad after all as I post this. Hopefully we’ll get another big coaster later down the line, but for now, I can’t wait for the announcement just to see the angry feedback. >:)

To be honest, I count Road Runner with Speedy Gonzales, Canyon Blaster, and Magic Flyer as kid coasters.

I'd call Ninja out as a family coaster, alongside Gold Rusher.

Here's the thing. Technically, a family coaster at SFMM is a great thing and I welcome it. But I'm sure we're all thinking it. This gives SFMM the chance to make the ride super short, with a bunch of twists and turns and minimal airtime.

Where as I'd welcome a family coaster with some kick to it, like Powder Keg and Time Traveler at SDC.

Last edited:
"Magic Mountain better start polishing up that silver platter that they're gonna hand their Thrill Capital of the World title over to Cedar Point on."

I know I sound like a broken record, but once again, I have to point out that Cedar Point and Magic Mountain are not actual competitors. It's just marketing BS.

I could open a tire swing in my backyard that launches you into a rusty old slide, and I could still claim it as the "Thrill Capital of the World" or "America's Rollercoast" because there's no objective way to measure it. If you're feeling disappointed that Cedar Point has Steel Vengeance but Magic Mountain only received a family-oriented coaster, that's because you're comparing two parks whose management/marketing teams don't even pay attention to each other.

If you don't like what Six Flags is doing, don't pay for admission. They don't owe anyone anything besides entry into the park.

I know I sound like a broken record, but once again, I have to point out that Cedar Point and Magic Mountain are not actual competitors. It's just marketing BS.

I could open a tire swing in my backyard that launches you into a rusty old slide, and I could still claim it as the "Thrill Capital of the World" or "America's Rollercoast" because there's no objective way to measure it. If you're feeling disappointed that Cedar Point has Steel Vengeance but Magic Mountain only received a family-oriented coaster, that's because you're comparing two parks whose management/marketing teams don't even pay attention to each other.

If you don't like what Six Flags is doing, don't pay for admission. They don't owe anyone anything besides entry into the park.

Dude you realize I was just quoting what someone said, along with a bunch of other quotes from other people? I didn't say those words.

People are allowed to be disappointed with this announcement. That doesn't mean it should stop people from coming to the park. In a way, it will be Six Flags own fault with the negative reaction they are going to get. It's their own marketing BS that has conditioned people to expect record breaking coasters.

If anything, I think people are WAY too harsh on SFMM. I'm always hearing it's trashy, ghetto, dirty, etc. I'm usually the one defending the place. The park has come a long way and is going in the right direction.

In regards to Cedar Point, no the park shouldn't try to copy or compete with them. They opened up Steel Vengeance and it led to a decline in revenue and attendance for the park. Lol Honestly, I don't even know if the coaster will still be around in 10 years considering all the issues they are having with it.

One positive thing I will say about the family coaster is that it will NOT be replacing Roaring Rapids. The ride is safe, at least for now and so are all the trees, greenery, water features, and fun ride that is RR that is greatly needed in the park.

If the family coaster turns out to be true, it will just confirm that MM is shifting away from being a Thrill Park long-term to being more family-friendly. It makes financial sense since families is where the money is at. It is what it is.

Not gonna lie though, I definitely feel like my interest will start waning once they make it official on Wednesday.

If it did turn out to be a family coaster, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing either. However, if that is the case, having a separate early announcement is a huge mistake, because that's what's building all the fanboy's expectations.

It's for that reason I (still naively) hope for it to be something either record breaking or unique. But if it isn't, I'm not going to be crushed. They'll just have to brace for a lot of enthusiast online trolling.

Even if that does happen, so what? As much as enthusiasts complained about the disappointment of FT, that ride appears to still be extremely popular with the GP, even now... so what the heck does our opinion count for in the long run? Not much.

FWIW, along the same "family coaster" lines, I've always thought SFMM needed a mad mouse... and a super El Loco, which to my knowledge has never been built (notwithstanding a short version at Adventuredome), would be a fun addition.

On a side note... if this is a dueling launch... does this mean it's two separate tracks, therefore two separate credits? Or is it one track with two launches? If the former, wouldn't that give the park 21 coasters?

Last edited:
Dude you realize I was just quoting what someone said, along with a bunch of other quotes from other people? I didn't say those words.

People are allowed to be disappointed with this announcement. That doesn't mean it should stop people from coming to the park. In a way, it will be Six Flags own fault with the negative reaction they are going to get. It's their own marketing BS that has conditioned people to expect record breaking coasters.

If anything, I think people are WAY too harsh on SFMM. I'm always hearing it's trashy, ghetto, dirty, etc. I'm usually the one defending the place. The park has come a long way and is going in the right direction.

In regards to Cedar Point, no the park shouldn't try to copy or compete with them. They opened up Steel Vengeance and it led to a decline in revenue and attendance for the park. Lol Honestly, I don't even know if the coaster will still be around in 10 years considering all the issues they are having with it.

I'll split this up into two sections..

In the subject of change for SFMM..

Many, have said remarkable things of the improvements of not only Magic Mountain, but the often overlooked Hurricane Harbor. Both are having great signs of growth, because they are trying to now get more of Southern California now to come to their parks.

I feel like we need to look at the future of Six Flags Magic Mountain, off of the rose tinted glasses that they have to be the thrill capital of the globe. People are constantly wanting change and diversity, in various and intricate ways. And thankfully, Universal; Cedar; and Six Flags are seemingly starting to get on the curve on this (excluding Disney, and for reasons already seen in the DLR threads), for both Northern and Southern California.

Change can and would be sometimes fearful, especially considering how little SF has tapped into the family market. But I think we need to step back and see what happens, if that goes in that direction. So-far, I'd argue the family additions the chain have been getting are exciting signs of the future in that regard. And with Kids World being a huge project for them in China, I welcome a possible change for extending out to markets they haven't done before. But if they do it, they need to leap out and do it, instead of waiting on the side-lines.

Onto the topic of RMC..

Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers, are the aftermath of RMC over-bending themselves. And in doing so, they have caused those attractions to have problems that are causing very unique ripple effects. However, the Single Rails have seemingly been the white knights in disguise for this year, with both Fiesta Texas and CGA having a seemingly successful kick start to the new tech of the Single Rail ride system. In time, we will most likely see SV and TT change and evolve; but by no means are they going to go away because of issues with tires or phones.

Sometimes, things just happen; and that things can and probably will get better.

If it did turn out to be a family coaster, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing either. However, if that is the case, having a separate early announcement is a huge mistake, because that's what's building all the fanboy's expectations.

It's for that reason I (still naively) hope for it to be something either record breaking or unique. But if it isn't, I'm not going to be crushed. They'll just have to brace for a lot of enthusiast online trolling.

Even if that does happen, so what? As much as enthusiasts complained about the disappoint of FT, that ride appears to still be extremely popular with the GP, even now... so what the heck does our opinion count for in the long run? Not much.

FWIW, along the same "family coaster" lines, I've always thought SFMM needed a mad mouse... and a super El Loco, which to my knowledge has never been built (notwithstanding a short version at Adventuredome), would be a fun addition.

On a side note... if this is a dueling launch... does this mean it's two separate tracks, therefore two separate credits? Or is it one track with two launches? If the former, wouldn't that give the park 21
coasters?

I'm glad someone brought this up. If they were to go with two separate tracks, yeah; it'd be how the park gets to 21 coasters in less than a year.

In a way, it'd be the first time that happened of multiple coasters in a way, since 2011 when they did the 3-Pack of SEfK/RR/GL.

Reactions: Dhdhddh
View attachment 7593 Looks like an S&S launch it is.
He just posted this as a reply

6MoreThrowawayFlags

Score hidden· 4 hours ago
A lot of people have been asking me about the Magic Mountain roller coaster. Here's what I remember:

• When people showed me some examples of other coasters, the closest comparison I could make was S&S.

• It has a red, black, and white color scheme.

• There was a part with a really steep hill both ways immediately after the launch.

• Two vehicles are chasing each other at all times. The race starts with one vehicle going up a lift hill and the other launches to catch up to it. They're supposed to hit the top of their respective hills at the same time.

• It's one big track, so you'll always get to try both ways.

• It goes upside down three times.

6MoreThrowawayFlags

A lot of people have been asking me about the Magic Mountain roller coaster. Here's what I remember:

• When people showed me some examples of other coasters, the closest comparison I could make was S&S.

• There was a part with a really steep hill both ways immediately after the launch.

• Two vehicles are chasing each other at all times. The race starts with one vehicle going up a lift hill and the other launches to catch up to it. They're supposed to hit the top of their respective hills at the same time.

Man I hope he's right. This sounds more like a racing version of Maverick, which I'm totally here for...

I wish people would stop poisoning these boards with crap from that sad sack Park Bros. He's the biggest reason for the disappointment.

6MoreThrowawayFlags

Okay, that.... that sounds great. Now I’m hoping the guy is right, even though I know he won’t be. FML

Reactions: alias8703

6MoreThrowawayFlags

That actually sounds really.....you know what, screw this. I’m done jumping to conclusions and trying to figure this out. We’re three days away from the announcement, so there's no point in trying to waste my time analyzing something we don’t even know. I’m just going to expect a family coaster and wait for the fireworks.

EDIT: He admitted he made that all up. That sounds too good for something Six Flags would add anyway.

Last edited: