Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^The thing is, I really don't think SFMM wants to "compete" against Potter. Sure, they'll add a new coaster to "compete" in that they have something new to offer, but I think they want to do their own thing and just be a thrill park. That's why I think they may be afraid to add it.

Personally, I think they should take the plunge and build it if its really successful (and most likely it will be). I think the heads of SFMM might get them to build it. They don't have sacrifice their thrill image to have it. If anything, it will expand their demographic with families and REALLY boost their attendance.

I don't think SFMM will ever compete with Universal or Disney no matter what, it's in an entire other category of amusements parks. It would have to build an intense amount of new family or dark rides to even come close. It just has a totally different demographic and park type.

Memorial Day weekend will most likely be the opening for Twisted Colossus (SFMM is actually opening something on time for once!? *GASP!*). I haven't seen any pictures, but from what I've been told, the coaster is almost done being assembled.

Reactions: Alexshow.
Iv'e been keeping up with the twisted colossus updates and its assembly is almost 3/4 of the way done. The ride is looking pretty intense just looking at the track at some points makes me say ouch but I'm sure it will be great.

I'm thinking about taking the kiddos here depending on how brave they are at knotts and disney. However, my family has been telling me that the park is overun by gang members and that its a horrible place. Are they over exagerating?

^ Haha, yeah they are, thats the most common stereo type of SFMM I've seen nowadays, when truth is, I've probably seen more gang members at USH in one visit than I have all of last year at the park. While there isn't MUCH to do for kids, Bugs Bunny World is pretty big with the variety of rides it offers. I'd say go in the summer, new shows and entertainment are coming along this year with the opening of Twisted Colossus. The place isn't as bad as people make it out to be. 

I'm thinking about taking the kiddos here depending on how brave they are at knotts and disney. However, my family has been telling me that the park is overun by gang members and that its a horrible place. Are they over exagerating?
20 years ago Magic Mountain had a problem with gangs and violent attacks at the park. They installed metal detectors, an LA County Sheriff Sub Station, and beefed up security to put a stop to the gangs and attacks.  Since then, they have had very few incidents.

The parks clientele (teens and adults) is no different than what you'd find at Universal, Knotts, or Disney.

I've been going to SFMM for 15+ years and have NEVER felt unsafe nor have I seen any violent acts.

You'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The parks clientele (teens and adults) is no different than what you'd find at Universal, Knotts, or Disney.
I disagree. There's definitely a higher concentration of pre-teen and teens at Six Flags and Knott's. It's not going to ruin your vacation or make you feel unsafe, but plan accordingly if you don't like that kind of atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aaron
I disagree. There's definitely a higher concentration of pre-teen and teens at Six Flags and Knott's. It's not going to ruin your vacation or make you feel unsafe, but plan accordingly if you don't like that kind of atmosphere.
Agreed. Lot's of preteens and Young Adults especially those in the wannabe crowds. Very annoying, but aside from that, plan accordingly, every time i take someone new, they always seem to have a blast. Spend the full day, and eating outside the park is my highest recommendation, unless you wanna fork over a ton of money for some "ok" food at best. 

SFMM is definitely still tacky and poorly run operationally, but its violent past is long behind it. You're more likely to find gangs at Knott's nowadays than Magic Mountain.

This will be the last park we go to since I want measure how brave these kids really are. Once we visit Knotts  Disneyland and Universal I should be able to figure out of the 5 kids which can handle it.

The other day they were watching videos on Youtube and they were saying how they cant wait to get on Tatsu, but I think some of them will not even make it past tower of terror at Disneyland.

This will be the last park we go to since I want measure how brave these kids really are. Once we visit Knotts Disneyland and Universal I should be able to figure out of the 5 kids which can handle it.

The other day they were watching videos on Youtube and they were saying how they cant wait to get on Tatsu, but I think some of them will not even make it past tower of terror at Disneyland.
Tatsu is a little scary the first time. I was terrified for the first few moments. Tower of Terror is fairly mild, aside from some moments of darkness. Have them watch the ride throughs of anything you think they'll be afraid of, I find that helps with younger children.

Reactions: William
I hate to say it, but Magic Mountain is going cheap once again. Until new management comes in, that park will continue to suffer. Just looking at the station and surrounding area of Twisted Colossus, makes the area look sad and cheap. While I am sure the ride will be fun. The park continues to move in a cheap and disgusting direction.

FYI- When I worked at the park, food empolyees would take the hamburger patties and play hockey with them in the back. Enjoy your lunch at the park!

Reactions: William
...Why do I love the Steampunk district. For some reason, I kinda appreciate it. Maybe its just the new life that's being given or just that a RMC is located in that area but It looks better than it did a while back.