Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 166 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'd have to admit, I doubt there's a huge community of GP park goers who are clamoring for this to be open. Enthusiasts, sure, but the GP likely not so much.

That said, getting it open would accomplish a few things: more attractions open in the park, the goodwill (and publicity) of the enthusiast crowd, and it would be a symbolic gesture of a larger commitment to the park as a whole. It is a pretty big symbol of the park.
Eh, I think you're underestimating how much buzz reopening the Sky Tower would create for SFMM. It's basically the symbol of not just the park, but the SCV. Reopening a local icon would definitely create a splash on local news. Plus it gives people something to do in between coaster rides.

If SFMM goes through on improving their food offerings and reopen the Sky Tower, it sounds like they're on the right track. It's a start. They need to spruce up their infrastructure and add a few flats as well.

Reactions: BriefCasey
I'd have to admit, I doubt there's a huge community of GP park goers who are clamoring for this to be open. Enthusiasts, sure, but the GP likely not so much.

That said, getting it open would accomplish a few things: more attractions open in the park, the goodwill (and publicity) of the enthusiast crowd, and it would be a symbolic gesture of a larger commitment to the park as a whole. It is a pretty big symbol of the park.
I could see it being a big draw. “Historic Magic Mountain Sky Tower reopens after 10+ year closure!” Would touch with the locals of Santa Clarita and LA County. One of those things everyone sees driving up and down the I-5. I overhear parents telling their kids that you used to be able to go up there and walk around and they look amazed lol. Also, when the sheriff and fire department did that race to the top, their comment sections were flooded with reopening pleas. If they do reopen it, reopen BOTH levels! Never got to experience that open air 1st level.

It should be noted that Jet Stream has gotten a full refurbishment. The trough is freshly painted, and all the boats seem to be refurbished. It was amazing to be in a boat that didn't leak, lol.

Reactions: chris.g and Freak
Might they still be considering to have it be part of the 2024 budget?
I've heard it's still in the pipeline but pushed back much like the solar parking lot upgrade a few years ago.

There are so many unfinished projects around the park that I wonder how long it will take to catch up. DC Universe projects, Samurai Summit, long overdue Twisted Colossus major refurb, Goliath paint job, as well as 2024-2025 new projects for MM and Hurricane Harbor. Yikes

They should just remove Goliath IMO. It’s outdated and not a standout anymore.
Whoa, kinda big disagree there. It may not be a standout anymore, but it's still a decent ride... and a huge crowd favorite. And let's be real, if they did tear it down, whatever that would replace likely is not going to be any better, given all the budget cutbacks of late.

On a side note, I should also note they are forging ahead with a Pass Membership lounge. It's the building between Jet Stream and WCR, and judging from peering through the windows (which have been uncovered), it's not too far from completion.

Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t remove Goliath first if I had a choice… I’m just saying, it is a choice, lol. Scream and maybe even Viper should be gone before Goliath.

Reactions: Freak
Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t remove Goliath first if I had a choice… I’m just saying, it is a choice, lol. Scream and maybe even Viper should be gone before Goliath.
Viper absolutely. That thing feels even more outdated since it left my neck hurting the last time I was on it. It explained the surprisingly low wait.

Viper absolutely. That thing feels even more outdated since it left my neck hurting the last time I was on it. It explained the surprisingly low wait.
Viper and Scream are the two coasters that I would have no problem with leaving whatsoever. I know this wouldn't fly with the GP but they could replace Scream with literally nothing and I wouldn't bat an eye. I always thought the best compromise would have Scream and Riddler switch trains.

An ideal replacement for Viper would be something like what Thorpe Park is building with Project Exodus. Something along those lines would be something I think SFMM could realistically build if it got manufactured by Vekoma.

Reactions: chris.g
I get the dislike for Viper, although SFMM seems to be taking some pride in keeping one of the last Arrow-mega loopers still running. I'd be interested if maybe one day they retrofit it with the vest restraints... that could hugely improve the ride.

I do agree with Scream... aside from the barrel roll element (or whatever it's called), it basically don't really have any distinctive features that add to the park.

I'm also optomisitic at all the small improvements they're making: more attention to plants/gardens, renovated games area (it looks surprisngly nice), improved area signs, an upcoming Membership lounge, the smaller events (Scream Break, Viva La Fiesta), rumors into possibly reopening Sky Tower, and a complete renovation of Jet Stream. Not to mention the announced solar panel parking lot improvements (assuming it happens this time).

Obviously, they still have a long ways to go (I could easily name 500 other things they need to work on, notably a more modern park entrance, and a complete demo/overhaul of the Funnel Cake and Restroom building at the front of the park immediately come to mind), but I'm a bit surprised at all the improvements they have been making. Maybe a better sign for the future? Clearly they're making investments into the park.

Last edited:
If they'd retrofit Viper, I think that'd be a very good move. I also had no idea it's one of the last Arrow coasters out there now that I see that Arrow is defunct.

If they can retrofit Big Apple Coaster in Vegas (then again that one got new trains), maybe it could happen.

If they'd retrofit Viper, I think that'd be a very good move. I also had no idea it's one of the last Arrow coasters out there now that I see that Arrow is defunct.

If they can retrofit Big Apple Coaster in Vegas (then again that one got new trains), maybe it could happen.

Just please, no Premier trains please! My dream is Six Flags cozies up to Vekoma for all their coaster needs going forward.

I NEVER thought I would utter those words, but here we are. Vekoma rocks!

Reactions: Freak