Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 334 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes, everyone made a huge deal out of the Gringott's issues, but Test Track was by far the worst debut of an attraction ever in Orlando, IMO..

Delays are to be expected with an attraction like this..Universal was smart and didn't release a date yet luckily
I wasn't aware of the gringotts issue either haha I'm just not In the loop

I get that UC wanted to be advanced and go with a massive trackless ride system but I just have to wonder why? Why spend the money to create a trackless ride when this could have easily been done with a driver like the Safari at AK or the tram tour at UH. Seems like so many problems could have been avoided if the ride didn't have this trackless system. Trackless rides are a great concept and they can do some cool things, but I don't think they should be used just for the sake of using them. If they want to go trackless, it needs to be to enhance the ride as a whole like Pooh's Honey Hunt or Phantom Manor where multiple cars are in the same room crossing all around each others in ways a track would never be able to do. A single path through a show building is not the best use for this tech and I feel like the money could have been spent on big physical sets and AA's.

It makes a lot of sense now why Supercharged has come to a halt. If they were intending to use the same trackless ride system but on a much larger (and hopefully faster) scale, I can see why they are putting the breaks on that idea until they can figure out Kong.

I get that UC wanted to be advanced and go with a massive trackless ride system but I just have to wonder why? Why spend the money to create a trackless ride when this could have easily been done with a driver like the Safari at AK or the tram tour at UH. Seems like so many problems could have been avoided if the ride didn't have this trackless system.

Maybe because they went trackless they created this problem, but I really wouldn't trust actual drivers considering the layout this ride has. One simple mistake and there could be costly damage to the attraction, whereas KJ drivers have a little more wiggle room. Due to the tight turns, the ride vehicles rear wheels operate independently of its front ones, and I'm not sure how you'd be able to drive a vehicle like that. If UC wanted a real driver from the beginning the layout could've been altered, but wider turns would've probably had an affect on how much there is in the building. (If I'm completely wrong about this let me know).

Reactions: Mike S
RFID tags are physical guidance. The vehicles use multiple forms at the same time.

Ah ok, I thought that was merely to keep track so it stops if goes out-of-bounds (as a failsafe) wasn't aware that it needs it as well for actual guidance.

I have a bad feeling that the ride will suffer from a lack of a live guide. That was still the thing that made me really excited about it from HateToFly's original post way back, and bummed that they were replaced by hardly-seen robots and (I presume) voiceover. That personal touch almost always makes a difference.

Ah ok, I thought that was merely to keep track so it stops if goes out-of-bounds (as a failsafe) wasn't aware that it needs it as well for actual guidance.

I have a bad feeling that the ride will suffer from a lack of a live guide. That was still the thing that made me really excited about it from HateToFly's original post way back, and bummed that they were replaced by hardly-seen robots and (I presume) voiceover. That personal touch almost always makes a difference.

Ironically, the creatives back in the day would agree with you. Nowadays, they see it as insulting that those pesky kids wont stick to their exact "perfect" spiel.

No live guide is probably for the best, the quality of them is so hit or miss.

I am fine with trackless, I think a driver would be a mistake and tracks would look odd and out of place. But this is not new tech. Energy is trackless and there was really no reason to move away from how energy works other than the "cool" factor. In the end they both will look the same in that they both will have no guides driving them or tracks. So why not just use proven tech? Why go with wifi when you know in the past you have had major issues with it? That part makes no sense to me.

Also, is the great movie ride trackless? I wasn't sure if the guides actually drove or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27
Also, universal creative reportedly swore off ever using wifi for vehicle monitoring again after building Forbidden Journey but apparently the Kong team didn't get that memo. The Journey vehicles have a substantial physical track they can't deviate from and the vehicles know their programming - it's the wifi communication that hampered the ride opening.
Gringotts also uses wifi for positioning. You can see the wifi antennas on the front of each RV (there are two on the front of the vehicles. They are white with blue LEDs on them), and the receivers are mounted under the track.