Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 493 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my second time through the kids in front of me were not happy in the witch room and as soon as we hit the scare actors, they were done. They reversed out of the queue

Reactions: Mike S
I think one thing to remember is everyone's tolerance of fear is different, especially children.

When I was 6, I was watching scary movies like Friday the 13th with my parents and didn't have any issues; but little Johnny who lived next door was scared out of his mind of Ghostbusters.

Kids are going to be weird about it. :lol:

Question for those who got to ride were there and scared or crying children in the queue

I have 2 kids, 6 and 9. So my wife did the responsible thing and let me ride by myself the first time yesterday while they stayed outside.

I didn't see scare actors, and while I don't think my 9 year old will appreciate the queue, I don't think she will be traumatized by it either. All four of us are going next time. The 6 year old isn't usually phased by much of anything.

I have to laugh at the majority of these thin early impressions.

As I sit in Tampa patiently waiting for my family to pick a day for our shot at Kong softs, I have concluded our Kong bond must run way deeper than the vast majority of folks. No doubt due to the visceral impact Kong had throughout our life.

See, for us, the Kong connection is pure pleasure, not just superficial entertainment. It demands respect and nuanced understanding. Kong represents a lifetime of pleasure. The Italians call it "Dolce Far Niente" - the sweetness of doing nothing.

I'll never forget watching re-runs of the movie version of Kong whenever I could as a young child. Or when we bought our annual passes in the 90's to Universal, not Disney, simply because of Kong. The anticipation of reuniting with my old friend was difficult to contain. While the ride had it's fair share of cheesiness, the re-connection with Kong was vivid and entirely satisfying.

I still remember, like it was yesterday, our three-year-old son holding tightly onto mommy and burying his head throughout the Kong ride and then screaming uncontrollably as we attempted to get a photograph of him in the old Kong hand. Hard to explain to a baby that Kong, deep down, is savage but with a soft spot for humans especially those with long blonde hair. Our son's genuine fear reminded me that Universal was, for us, essentially one ride: Kong. Sure while so-called "normal" families raved about Its a Small, Small World, we were a Kong family through and through. To this day, we haven't looked back on our decision of choosing Universal over Disney. I've managed to pass that sensibility down to our children apparently because they "feel" the same way.

We felt betrayed when the Kong ride was shut down by Universal years ago. We tried to find pleasure in any of the "other" rides but it simply wasn't there to be found. Peter Parker? Please. He pales in comparison to the big fella. Never felt the twinge of true pleasure elsewhere. But we remained hopeful that Universal would see the error of their ways.

Imagine our delight when Hate unexpectedly revealed initial details of Kong a couple of ears ago. It sent a lightning bolt through our collective souls and gave us hope again for
that connection.

We view Kong like our kids or our football team - we don't love 'em because they're always good. We love 'em because they're ours.

Thanks for listening...

I think one thing to remember is everyone's tolerance of fear is different, especially children.

When I was 6, I was watching scary movies like Friday the 13th with my parents and didn't have any issues; but little Johnny who lived next door was scared out of his mind of Ghostbusters.

Agreed. Which is why as a parent it is not as cut and dry as people think. Some kids are scared of bugs and other kids let them crawl all over them. But then the one not scared of bugs may be scared of dogs. So it isn't even like the brave ones are always brave. And the young ones (under 2/3) can be the bravest of all. Like if my 1 year old was tall enough I would not hesitate to take her on. Nothing scares that child, except bugs life. And that was awhile ago and I think she was more scared that her sister was screaming in fear than what was going on around her.

I have to laugh at the majority of these thin early impressions.

As I sit in Tampa patiently waiting for my family to pick a day for our shot at Kong softs, I have concluded our Kong bond must run way deeper than the vast majority of folks. No doubt due to the visceral impact Kong had throughout our life.

See, for us, the Kong connection is pure pleasure, not just superficial entertainment. It demands respect and nuanced understanding. Kong represents a lifetime of pleasure. The Italians call it "Dolce Far Niente" - the sweetness of doing nothing.

I'll never forget watching re-runs of the movie version of Kong whenever I could as a young child. Or when we bought our annual passes in the 90's to Universal, not Disney, simply because of Kong. The anticipation of reuniting with my old friend was difficult to contain. While the ride had it's fair share of cheesiness, the re-connection with Kong was vivid and entirely satisfying.

I still remember, like it was yesterday, our three-year-old son holding tightly onto mommy and burying his head throughout the Kong ride and then screaming uncontrollably as we attempted to get a photograph of him in the old Kong hand. Hard to explain to a baby that Kong, deep down, is savage but with a soft spot for humans especially those with long blonde hair. Our son's genuine fear reminded me that Universal was, for us, essentially one ride: Kong. Sure while so-called "normal" families raved about Its a Small, Small World, we were a Kong family through and through. To this day, we haven't looked back on our decision of choosing Universal over Disney. I've managed to pass that sensibility down to our children apparently because they "feel" the same way.

We felt betrayed when the Kong ride was shut down by Universal years ago. We tried to find pleasure in any of the "other" rides but it simply wasn't there to be found. Peter Parker? Please. He pales in comparison to the big fella. Never felt the twinge of true pleasure elsewhere. But we remained hopeful that Universal would see the error of their ways.

Imagine our delight when Hate unexpectedly revealed initial details of Kong a couple of ears ago. It sent a lightning bolt through our collective souls and gave us hope again for
that connection.

We view Kong like our kids or our football team - we don't love 'em because they're always good. We love 'em because they're ours.

Thanks for listening...

Thanks for your post - a simple like is not good enough!

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S

My dad took me to see "Journey to the Center of the Earth (James Mason) when I was 5. For a couple of years after that I would hallucinate monsters on the walls, under the bed and everywhere else when I tried to go to sleep. I was terrified. :lol: And, in retrospect, that movie is not much of a scare fest. :)...........Well, so far, looking at the TM reviews from earlier this week on this thread, and the soft opening reviews on the Review thread, the comments are resoundingly positive with most reviewers putting it in the top four and some in the top two attractions. And quite often rankings get better with repeat rides, so it will be interesting to see if this trend of positives continues:thumbsup:....So much for the validity of POV reviews . :dance:

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150 and Cole
Status
Not open for further replies.