Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

Now you're talking. Potter, Marvel and Nintendo would be a great triple threat.

That is we're talking about a hypothetical situation. If Universals did acquire Marvel back in 2009, they might bring back Marvel-related stuff to USH due to the MCU success and possible might erect some of the stuff back stuff for a Marvel-related attraction at the Lower Lot. In this one, SNW might probably not happen. Due to the success of MCU, I don't think Universal might be inclined to bring Nintendo into its Orlando parks (however, I believe Universal might, considering how popular Nintendo really is, but I don't know about that one). However, because Universal move HHN back to Florida due to more houses, Island Under Siege-like scarezone may never happen again. Disney treats MCU the best they can be, however, they're still being accused of not wanting to put out R-rated movie because of their primary audience for decades (that is though if they never bought 20th Century Fox). Universal owning Marvel would eliminate some of these concerns and might bring MCU into a bit more mature and violent level even though most of them would be PG-13.

That is we're talking about a hypothetical situation. If Universals did acquire Marvel back in 2009, they might bring back Marvel-related stuff to USH due to the MCU success and possible might erect some of the stuff back stuff for a Marvel-related attraction at the Lower Lot. In this one, SNW might probably not happen. Due to the success of MCU, I don't think Universal might be inclined to bring Nintendo into its Orlando parks (however, I believe Universal might, considering how popular Nintendo really is, but I don't know about that one). However, because Universal move HHN back to Florida due to more houses, Island Under Siege-like scarezone may never happen again. Disney treats MCU the best they can be, however, they're still being accused of not wanting to put out R-rated movie because of their primary audience for decades (that is though if they never bought 20th Century Fox). Universal owning Marvel would eliminate some of these concerns and might bring MCU into a bit more mature and violent level even though most of them would be PG-13.

The way that companies are buying up other companies, I think they still would have bought the rights to Nintendo. They would have run the risk of Disney buying the rights instead.

I think Universal would have done an R rated movie for sure although out of the released movies so far, I can’t think any of them would have been improved by that rating. If Feige remained in charge ( I can’t see any reason for him not to be, the MCU has been his baby.) I think the movies would have run on a similar course.

MCA/Universal had contract rights to Marvel for the whole USA and the Mississippi separated the "east coast" and "west coast" rights. If one park did not use the rights they would default back to the parent company, Marvel, but the rest of the contract would still be upheld. USH had several Marvel things at the park including a show (OF COURSE) and a restaurant. In the end, they gave up the license in 2007 as they weren't using it which allows Disney now to build their Avengers Campus, just as the contract doesn't allow them to advertise it as MARVEL.

As for why Spider-man never came to USH, well I think @Paulio provided probably the best reason why. I'm not sure exactly why it didn't as I was in college/fraternity/too cool for theme parks phase.

MCA/Universal had contract rights to Marvel for the whole USA and the Mississippi separated the "east coast" and "west coast" rights. If one park did not use the rights they would default back to the parent company, Marvel, but the rest of the contract would still be upheld. USH had several Marvel things at the park including a show (OF COURSE) and a restaurant. In the end, they gave up the license in 2007 as they weren't using it which allows Disney now to build their Avengers Campus, just as the contract doesn't allow them to advertise it as MARVEL.

As for why Spider-man never came to USH, well I think @Paulio provided probably the best reason why. I'm not sure exactly why it didn't as I was in college/fraternity/too cool for theme parks phase.

Actually, non-Universal companies in the West Coast were not prevented from adding Marvel attractions in their parks, only restrictions apply to those East of the Mississippi River because Universal was vastly more interested in protecting Marvel for their upcoming Islands of Adventure theme park at the time. USH was and is always small, so all Universal did was put up Marvel merchandises and have had some shows, but that was about it. And that's why USH unfortunately decided to terminate the Marvel rights in the West Coast. It would have happened even if Disney hadn't bought Marvel at all unless Universal acquire Marvel.

Actually, non-Universal companies in the West Coast were not prevented from adding Marvel attractions in their parks, only restrictions apply to those East of the Mississippi River because Universal was vastly more interested in protecting Marvel for their upcoming Islands of Adventure theme park at the time. USH was and is always small, so all Universal did was put up Marvel merchandises and have had some shows, but that was about it. And that's why USH unfortunately decided to terminate the Marvel rights in the West Coast. It would have happened even if Disney hadn't bought Marvel at all unless Universal acquire Marvel.

While this is true, there was still a fair amount of CapEx with Marvel-related experiences between the Marvel Mania restaurant and the apparently prescient Spider-Man musical.

While this is true, there was still a fair amount of CapEx with Marvel-related experiences between the Marvel Mania restaurant and the apparently prescient Spider-Man musical.

Yes, but that was before Universal removed its Marvel West Coast rights in 2007.

The way that companies are buying up other companies, I think they still would have bought the rights to Nintendo. They would have run the risk of Disney buying the rights instead.

I think Universal would have done an R rated movie for sure although out of the released movies so far, I can’t think any of them would have been improved by that rating. If Feige remained in charge ( I can’t see any reason for him not to be, the MCU has been his baby.) I think the movies would have run on a similar course.

Universal's MCU movies/shows/video games would have been bit more edgier and not filled with funny jokes every second of the minute like Disney's version even though most of them would be PG-13 under Kevin Feige. That way, Universal wouldn't have to be tangled with its Hulk distribution rights to Disney's Hulk film production rights. Universal's Marvel Super Hero Island would have been upgraded to the MCU style instead of the 1990s relics by now. In addition, I believe Universal Hollywood would bring back Marvel back to its park mainly for merchandises and meet-and-greets. Most MCU media products would have a great boost for Universal's own streaming service during the current streaming wars. Marvel Zombies is cited commonly by fans to be used for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights, though Disney isn't particular known for having gory, scary events, so the chances of a Marvel Halloween-themed area at a Disney park is little to none.

You're right, I still believe Nintendo theme park rights would have been nabbed and on Orlando's part, would have either moved to Kidzone in Florida or the new Epic Universe park (due to COVID-19 and the Epic Universe construction being suspended, the plans might go back to USF). Not sure for the Hollywood version though, as the current SNW area might be a place for a Marvel E-Ticket attraction.

Yes, but that was before Universal removed its Marvel West Coast rights in 2007.

Universal's MCU movies/shows/video games would have been bit more edgier and not filled with funny jokes every second of the minute like Disney's version even though most of them would be PG-13 under Kevin Feige. That way, Universal wouldn't have to be tangled with its Hulk distribution rights to Disney's Hulk film production rights. Universal's Marvel Super Hero Island would have been upgraded to the MCU style instead of the 1990s relics by now. In addition, I believe Universal Hollywood would bring back Marvel back to its park mainly for merchandises and meet-and-greets. Most MCU media products would have a great boost for Universal's own streaming service during the current streaming wars. Marvel Zombies is cited commonly by fans to be used for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights, though Disney isn't particular known for having gory, scary events, so the chances of a Marvel Halloween-themed area at a Disney park is little to none.

You're right, I still believe Nintendo theme park rights would have been nabbed and on Orlando's part, would have either moved to Kidzone in Florida or the new Epic Universe park (due to COVID-19 and the Epic Universe construction being suspended, the plans might go back to USF). Not sure for the Hollywood version though, as the current SNW area might be a place for a Marvel E-Ticket attraction.
You seem to be the Universal-Marvel authority. I’m immensely impressed and frightened at once.

Disagree about the tone of the MCU because of Disney. The tone of Iron Man set the tone for the series and you can easily argue that certain entries that followed (Winter Soldier, Civil War) had much grislier moments than Iron Man did. The biggest impact Disney provided was a reshuffling management so Feige didn't have to report to Ike Perlmutter anymore.

On the other hand, I guess this depends upon what era you grew up a Marvel fan, but Marvel Superhero Island doesn't strike me as dated or relics. The core comic versions depicted in IOA are rooted in material that has already spanned decades. The MCU eventually will become out of date, it is inevitable. Three different actors have played Spider-Man since Universal's ride opened in 1999. You can guarantee that there will be a different actor playing Spidey while the MCU DCA Spider-Man ride is still operating.

Even if it is “dated”, there’s still a lot of love for that era of Marvel, lest we forget the nostalgia wave X-Men’s seeing right now among comic fans.

Exactly, I am arguing what you see in Marvel Island is the perfect timeless versions of these characters and I say that as someone who loves the MCU but the comics will always come first for me.

Yeah, if you see comments posted online across Reddit or YouTube, they commonly say Marvel Zombies. It's wishful thinking, but it's something that can be easily implemented if MSHI is to host a HHN scarezone (which is very unlikely).

Disagree about the tone of the MCU because of Disney. The tone of Iron Man set the tone for the series and you can easily argue that certain entries that followed (Winter Soldier, Civil War) had much grislier moments than Iron Man did. The biggest impact Disney provided was a reshuffling management so Feige didn't have to report to Ike Perlmutter anymore.

On the other hand, I guess this depends upon what era you grew up a Marvel fan, but Marvel Superhero Island doesn't strike me as dated or relics. The core comic versions depicted in IOA are rooted in material that has already spanned decades. The MCU eventually will become out of date, it is inevitable. Three different actors have played Spider-Man since Universal's ride opened in 1999. You can guarantee that there will be a different actor playing Spidey while the MCU DCA Spider-Man ride is still operating.

I strongly believe Universal won't have some funny jokes every second of the minute in every MCU movie but maybe a bit more of the edge of what Disney has to offer. Hard to say, but I believe given how grisly the Incredible Hulk was as opposed to others, Universal MCU might be a bit different than Disney.

And while I do agree with you that the comics book version is far more better and not as outdated, MCU fans might be a different bunch. They'll pressure Universal to do something to add MCU-related outlays and attractions especially at MSHI or maybe update to a more modern version of the comics. So I'm not speaking on behalf of myself, but for others.

Love to see discussions on the state of MSHI. I agree that the comics are timeless, they inspire the stories for the movies. We do not know the longevity of the MCU, if it will be as timeless.

I’ve stated this before, but I think they should embrace a Golden/Silver Age for MSHI. Timeless iterations. Better matches the architecture and may make the comic influence more apparent with the GP.

Kind of thought they were going this way with the Hulk Refurbishment, the construction walls and all....

Yeah, even with the Universal MCU movies/TV shows/video games going on, they would have still kept the comics-style version, but more updated like the Golden/Silver Age version to keep up with the times instead of keeping it 1990s style. All the rides will stay the same as per usual except the meets-and-greets where you do might meet some MCU characters. All in all, given how Marvel structures their story-lines and characters, I think it's less hassle/bothersome for Universal's own Marvel instead than that of Disney's. Marvel Zombies might have a place at HHN years ago.

Bold of you to assume Universal would’ve taken up Marvel’s operations in Disney’s absence when it was Paramount/Viacom that had the biggest role in getting the MCU started.

Both Paramount and Universal released their respective MCU movies within a month from each other so you can say both companies had the biggest role in getting MCU started, since they had deals for their respective Marvel characters to be released as movies within the same year. However, Paramount agreed to sell their Iron Man/Thor/Captain America film rights entirely to Disney, while Universal continues to retain the distribution rights to any film starring Hulk as the main character. That's why Paramount is sort off being forgotten in any Marvel discussion nowadays.

Also, we're talking about Universal's hypothetical role in owning Marvel instead of Disney and its long-term effects as well, as both companies operate theme parks.

Love to see discussions on the state of MSHI. I agree that the comics are timeless, they inspire the stories for the movies. We do not know the longevity of the MCU, if it will be as timeless.

I’ve stated this before, but I think they should embrace a Golden/Silver Age for MSHI. Timeless iterations. Better matches the architecture and may make the comic influence more apparent with the GP.
What does that look like architecturally? I'm legitimately asking cause I'm curious.

Personally, I think Marvel is just minimalist enough to work in any time period

If anything I'd rather see a "Hulk type" upgrade to the character designs on the cutouts around the land

Still, there is something charming about that 90's Saturday Morning cartoon look that gets me giddy...maybe cause I grew up in that era haha