Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement

Feb 25, 2013
Stage 28 interior  - images to share on pininterst creative commons

VIP Special four hour tour

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/349732727286865962/

Request for a new form topic - the studio Tram tour - ( existing form covers the theme park with excellence ) topics should include attractions located on the studio tram ride - Information on the backlot areas - what filming - photos of the set changes etc.  50 years of the Tram Tour - attractions - Western street - Newyork Street - Little Europe - maps, blueprints - sketch up models -   add your suggestions - 

Last edited by a moderator:
The form and  website does an excellent job on the theme park -  Please consider covering the attractions on the tram tour  as separate topic - thestudiotour site  has excellent history - What will we see if we go on the tour today vs yesterday - What is the VIP tour Like - What does the western street look like - what are the features you will see today on the tram ride.  What are names of the sections you can visit today - How about a backlot map - with the sections that you can see on the tram ride .   any topic not presently listed under general Universal, Upper lot, and lower lot, as these topic different from the those on the tram ride.

yes  - also  personally speaking, I'd love to discuss the history of the tour more on IU and the present day topic not covered on thestudio tour site - He is not able to get  to many photos, later, this form has many people to take images of the Backlot sets.  who live in LA -  

I have hundreds of images to share, but they are not part of the theme park topic - no intention to duplicate what already exist , just add more topics of today's information on the backlot sets.

Regards: Alkan The Actor - thanks for your comments, they help me make more clear of my request.

Having topics for individual Studio Tour animations isn't really necessary, it just fills up the site with too many threads. However, feel free to discuss any aspects of the Studio Tour in its already existing thread. :)

Allen The Actor - I'd love to discuss the history of the tour more on IU

Posted "Studio Tour" main topic with  a sub topic " Mexico and Western Street" map with suggestions for further subtopic questions and topic form members may be interested. I enjoyed all the questions i gone as an original member of theStudiotour form.   just search Google  keyword " Universalsonecutter"  to   website pages I have authored credits -

6372bb9460598d62db3dd6e034303779.jpg

Providencia Ranch, part of 'Providencia Land and Water Development Company' property 1912 to 1913, first western street built for  Bison 101 Western Brand Pictures  in the San Fernado valley - In 1914 Universal Ciry moved from the "Oak crest ranch" ( Providencia) to the "Taylor ranch " (Lankershism) - created western facades on front lot  - north of the first silent stage - this western street remain on the front lot until start of Universal's Sound Era -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providencia_Ranch

0c8b0cf2d9bbe260da19fbf680949b3c.jpg

Western street was move to the back ranch area of today's studio tour .  see next topic Tram Tour - Mexico and Western 

Why ? my posting  - Inside Universal's specialty, a rich resources of information  not presently available at thestudiotour.com - I am an original and present member of this Website -
Universal insider -  specialty up today news and  backlot events!

Studio Tour  - topic  today's Mexico and Western street - I am looking for present day information 2013 to 2014
I'd  also  like to discuss the history of the tour studio-   In particular today's Studio Tour Information  for visitor 2014 more on IU. :)

3654720a93f04d8c595aeabf11db5bc6.jpg

Universal Studio Tour  Park   - divides the Attractions into  experiences  for Visitors, the  "Backlot" and "Theme park"  Upper and Lover Lot and the Back Lot tours -

The first part of  attractions - shows Theme Park guides based on the Upper and Lower parts of the major them areas

Future   Guides -  Backlot experience -  need visitors guide for the Studio Tour Ride   More Visitors Guide topic  "The Tour"  divide into VIP and the regular

Where can I find the infomation about these choices - What Tickets should by to enjoy the backlot experience.   Theme park choice are presently well cover -

Attraction Guides for Visitors -   What Tickets should we to enjoy the backlot experience - What tickets best for HHN , What HHN events are that occur on  the backlot tram tour ? Are these experience available on the regular VIP and park ticket - Are different ticket for the HHN "theme park areas"  and Backlot experience ?  Are Night Tours versions  of the tram tour of the Backlot coming?     chose :Regular, Front of the Line, VIP?  What parts of HHN  be seen using day time Tickets: Regular, Front of the Line, VIP- private tour

ff07d747cd18c1eb84e15a2ff01a0f54.jpg

Park Map

7f0f036e45af4aef01b07f7aaf2ede76.jpg

The park now includes three sections -  Theme Park and Backlot Tour - Theme Park resolve around four specific theme -   the upper and lower lot ( rides & attractions) - two theme visitors centres - the Stairway escalator and the  Studio Tram  Tour escalator.

Visitor can choice  to visit the City Walk or enter the  Universal Main Gate;  see theme park and  the Main studio operations  front lot and Backlot - VIP  visit studio stage and selected department operations. 

Visitor a parks at entrance fountain - see Front gate on the map  

have choices  using  the  map and Guest Relations office on the right of the fountain - The map guide show the route to the tram tour and route to the Skyway Escalator to the lower lot part of the therme park.  Near the fountain Guest relations can explain and show the difference between the theme  park areas  and the Backlot Tram Tour - Show areas of Main Studio Operations  open when taking a tram tour.

Your start the Theme park expeiences or go directly the "Studio tour  Gate"  take the elevator to board  a Supertram - Visit a Movie Studio view the "front lot and backlot of"  sections of the main Studio Operations .

cd188d0712bde08141532e54dff67e86.jpg

Studio Operations backlot map - shows different parts of the  regular - Studios Tram Tour - The VIP tour include the front lot operations and departments

Well at this point, you guys are definitely right that there's going to be no DA here.  Anyway, do you have any possible speculations to what could become of the Phantom Stage?

first off, you need to get rid of Sparticus Square. As that has gone. You also forgot the Grinch/Psycho sets with the walkway on the left side of the hill that is used for the Terror Tram *Which it might be its last year so not sure about that*.

Yeah, looking at it gives me the chills. Would've been an amazing tribute to Universal Monsters.

But funny how even back then they were considering adding Stage 28 space into the theme park real estate!

BUT now I'm worried how they'll use the space and what brand they'll devote it to...

Do you think there's a chance they'll just clear the land and leave it empty and save it until they find a franchise/theme to build?

Because as of now, I can't imagine what they'll put there. My only personal wish is a House of Horrors/horror themed ride.

Restrooms and a new restaurant to replace the current which will be demolished.  That is my opinion.

No new venue.  Theme can be whatever they want.

Restrooms and a new restaurant to replace the current which will be demolished. That is my opinion.

No new venue. Theme can be whatever they want.
Do you think they'd really waste a huge plot of land they just received as a blessing (that's a very rare addition to the park's limited real estate) that'd almost the size of Transformers, on a restaurant and bathrooms? I know it's your opinion, and I respect it, but with HoH becoming a restaurant, and with Springfield being a large new multi level food court, AND us getting the Three Broomsticks in a few years, I don't see why they'd waste such a rare additional piece of land for the theme park on just a restaurant and bathrooms. A restaurant and bathroom can arguably be placed anywhere but not a major new additional attraction, which this space provides. And ESPECIALLY since we lost such a historic soundstage, I'd hope the replacement would be noteworthy and worthwhile!

If it doesn't end up being a new attraction (be it a show or ride), I will be extremely disappointed in Universal's nearsightedness.

Well I'm just going to cry now.

I suppose part of this was why phantom was ultimately included in the graveyard revue.
Yeah, looked like an amazing concept! Especially that it used the original Opera sets! The concept kind of seemed like an early version of the Graveyard Review, T23D, Horror Make Up Show, and SES.

I agree that I would like to see something more for Stage 28 real estate.  However, I see this as a plot move for growth as we have seen with the Upper Lot more than the expansion of an attraction count.  We all know the restrooms in the lower lot are lacking as well as the foot space.  I can easily see this becoming an adjustment to the lower lot layout just to ease the traffic and where are you going to place restrooms when you knock out the current restrooms?

Well lemme ask this then....

Why would you knock out the current restrooms...?

Like, yes the layout of the lower lot isn't the most comfortable one but it's very manageable and has been more or less the same for almost 2 decades now. It's not THAT broken. If anything, the upper lot will still be more tight and uncomfortable than the lower lot ever will be.

I'd rather have a lack of restrooms (again, they could always put restrooms literally anywhere. Like....close Panda and make that an additional restroom facility, I don't care) than waste a HUGE plot of land (and yes, for USH it's huge) for simply "growth". If anything, the only growth I'd see in terms of easing the flow would be knocking down Universal Experience and Panda, to make a walk way to the new stage 28 attraction.

I simply don't see Universal wasting a ridiculously rare opportunity to increase attraction count and especially park real estate/square footage, a size that's more than enough space for a good sized E-Ticket especially if they dig down, for something that is to "ease flow".

The current flow of the lower lot isn't amazing, but it's not uncomfortable in my opinion, and especially not uncomfortable enough to waste a massive amount of space that could be used for a new ride or show, on more restaurants or bathrooms. It just seems very shortsighted and...yeah.

I think Chris is suggesting that the entire Panda complex would be reworked should Soundstage 28 be used for restroom facilities. It's not like they're going to awkwardly place restrooms right next to Transformers without modifying a significant portion of the Lower Lot.

So...they'd go through all the trouble of reworking the Panda/Universal Experience complex to give guests more room to walk to....Stage 28 Located Bathrooms??? Why would they spend so much cash and money on working a huge part of the Lower lot for something that will bring them zero returns, zero satisfaction, not help park capacity at all (when it needs it most) and wastes a rare real estate addition to the park.

I only see them reworking/removing the Panda complex and a few surrounding buildings IF it was to provide a wider pathway towards a new attraction or show where Stage 28 is. Otherwise it seems pointless.

154hngy.jpg

etdro3.jpg

The Goddard Group just showed off a concept for Universal Studios Hollywood from 1989 which would have been a horror show themed around the Phantom Of The Opera and other Universal Monsters and all set inside Stage 28 and use the Phantom sets and more! You can read the details more on the Goddard Group Facebook page.
More concept art from the never made Stage 28 Phantom Horror mega show.

rbwegy.jpg

I recommend reading the description of the attraction on the Goddard Group Facebook page. It gave me the chills.

I wouldn't mind seeing an attraction like this right now (basically a Universal Monsters/Phantom themed version of T23D, SES, and non-musical version of the Graveyard Review) or a ride based on Universal Monsters.