Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yoshi walking!!!!

Me after seeing that:

tenor.gif

Everything about the land looks fantastic so far...

... but I'll admit it's hard to get too excited about something I won't be experiencing for another four years (at best).
For a Disney trip, I often tell people that if you can find a cheap flight (of which there are plenty 6-9 months from now) to Japan; between the cheaper tickets and cheap monorail hotels- Tokyo Disney is often the same price if not cheaper than WDW. Plus you get Tokyo itself and some damned good Ramen, if nothing else :)

Universal is a bit tougher because UOR has reasonably priced on-site hotels and APs. But depending on how many times you visit UOR- maybe cut out two trips to UOR and turn it into a trip to Japan. All signage is in english and traveling throughout Japan may seem daunting at first blush, but isn't whatsoever.

Ignore all of this if you're located in Florida :lol:

Just to be clear, I'm not anti international travel at all (at least in a non-COVID scenario!).

Getting to visit the Japanese parks is definitely something I eventually want to do (because Tokyo DisneySea looks like the best park on the planet for the types of attractions I enjoy the most, and USJ still has Jaws!), but with my travel dance card mostly filled for the next couple years (assuming next year gets back to a degree of normalcy through either treatments or vaccines), it's very likely not happening before Epic Universe opens.

Reactions: Jones14
Just to be clear, I'm not anti international travel at all (at least in a non-COVID scenario!).

Getting to visit the Japanese parks is definitely something I eventually want to do (because Tokyo DisneySea looks like the best park on the planet for the types of attractions I enjoy the most, and USJ still has Jaws!), but with my travel dance card mostly filled for the next couple years (assuming next year gets back to a degree of normalcy through either treatments or vaccines), it's very likely not happening before Epic Universe opens.
I imagine that that would be the best time for a theme park fan to go regardless, as the USJ Nintendo expansion and FantaSea Springs will have opened.

Reactions: belloq87

A year filled with trips to EU and Tokyo DisneySea sounds like an utter dream for any theme park fan lol

(already cooler than anything in SWGE for me)

Not sure if I can actually put this into words. Nintendo as a land can be far more effective than Star Wars. Even for someone who rarely played Mario, I can easily envision what is going on and understand the characters. Plus, the SNW "universe" can be outlandish or colorful without missing a beat. Pipe in the music and it is just like a video game. HP was much the same. It was a place on Earth with the iconic music and buildings, from Hogwarts Castle to Gringotts. The music soaks into you and the rides just fit (especially with Hagrid's coaster). SWGE doesn't connect quite the same. I think that part of it is because there are no iconic settings. Tatooine is desert and no other place really is "Star Wars". Plus, they ignored the music (unless that has changed). So, it doesn't place us into any one particular part of Star Wars universe that we can relate to. I actually have the same issue with Pandora although that might be just me.

SWGE doesn't connect quite the same. I think that part of it is because there are no iconic settings. Tatooine is desert and no other place really is "Star Wars". Plus, they ignored the music (unless that has changed). So, it doesn't place us into any one particular part of Star Wars universe that we can relate to.

Another part of SWGE's issue is that it requires too much background knowledge to really get into it. Who's the First Order versus New Republic. The Millennium Falcon. What's the deal with Batuu? SNW and HP don't have that problem (from what we know about SNW). Never played a Mario game before and it's a colorful cartoonish land with go-karts racing against frenemies. Don't know a Hogwarts from a Plantarwarts? Then HP is those lands with wizards and a dragon. Neither require the visitor to have any real amount of background knowledge on the property. As long as the visitor has an idea about cartoons and wizards they're good to go. SWGE, on the other hand, feels like the visitor needs to brush up on their Star Wars lore before visiting to really get something out of it.

Edit: Grammar fixes.

Last edited:
Agreed.

They also seem to have no clue how to handle an IP anymore.
Im naturally bitter cause their films (minus Rogue One) legit ruined Star Wars for me but other than Rise nothing at all has impressed me with this land or made me feel like they needed to make it. Kinda wish they just made Rise and used the other space available for Radiator Springs or something.

I know things can be over-engineered but can something be over-imagineered?

What's crazy is the best dark ride Disney has and a far superior version of Mission Space lie within the land.
I think SWGE proved that yes, it can be overdone. That’s part of what makes the WWoHP so special, it’s simplicity yet intricate design that makes it feel alive and real. This feels like forced storytelling minus Rise.

I think SWGE proved that yes, it can be overdone. That’s part of what makes the WWoHP so special, it’s simplicity yet intricate design that makes it feel alive and real. This feels like forced storytelling minus Rise.

Agreed (again!)

I actually think SWGE really needed animatronics all over the land like we seem to be getting with SNW. It needed to feel alive and bustling with people from all over the galaxy. That is the big miss for me.

I think an issue Disney has run into recently is valuing realism over fun. Potter (and now definitely SNW) strike right the balance. Pandora and SWGE? Teeter a notch too far in one direction.
This is a could point too. They haven’t been able to nail both aspects like Universal has. Pandora lends itself to being the environment it is, not sure what else could be done there. SWGE could have so, so much more.