Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

Ok, hear me out. Is it possible that this land may have too much kinetic energy?

The way the eyes and brain work, is that the eyes are drawn to movement. That's why amusement parks surround the guest with movement. It creates excitement. But usually it like one ride in front of you and one on either side. Maybe one behind you. But anywhere you look it is a single layer of movement. Sometimes with good design you will get a double layer of movement like the Peoplemover/Astro Orbiter. When the Skyway existed it was 3 layers of movement. But that was truly an outlier, because "theme parks" in general are pretty light on kinetics in comparison to traditional amusement parks.

Nintendoland isn't double or an even triple layered movement, it's EVERYWHERE! Some people can find that kind of visual stimulus overwhelming. And even some regular people find it taxing and exhausting just because our brains are wired to constantly key into it. I know people who have that problem with Manhattan and Times Square in particular. There is also a large and vocal group of theme park fanatics that already think Universal, in general, is too loud and frenetic. It makes them nervous and stressed.

Personally, I think I will love it, but do any of you have concerns?

Last edited:
^ It does appear to have very little “white space”! I’m not sure it is kinetically any different than Diagon Alley, but color saturation wise SNW could cause a few anxiety attacks for sure. It hurts my brain to see these distant shots of it.

Ok, hear me out. Is it possible that this land may have too much kinetic energy?

The way the eyes and brain work, is that the eyes are drawn to movement. That's why amusement parks surround the guest with movement. It creates excitement. But usually it like one ride in front of you and one one either side. Maybe one behind you. But anywhere you look it is a single layer of movement. Sometimes with good design you will get a double layer of movement like the Peoplemover/Astro Orbiter. When the Skyway existed it was 3 layers of movement. But that was truly an outlier, because "theme parks" in general are pretty light on kinetics in comparison to traditional amusement parks.

Nintendoland isn't double or an even triple layered movement, it's EVERYWHERE! Some people can find that kind of visual stimulus overwhelming. And even some regular people find it taxing and exhausting just because our brains are wired to constantly key into it. I know people who have that problem with Manhattan and Times Square in particular. There is also a large and vocal group of theme park fanatics that already think Universal, in general, is too loud and frenetic already. It makes them nervous and stressed.

I can see this, frankly, I’m more worried about the tight space and people constantly looking up and around and it causing just a clutter mess of people, which will then give me super anxiety. I think with DK this land has plenty of room to breathe but they’re packing in a lot here.

The way the eyes and brain work, is that the eyes are drawn to movement. That's why amusement parks surround the guest with movement. It creates excitement. But usually it like one ride in front of you and one on either side. Maybe one behind you. But anywhere you look it is a single layer of movement. Sometimes with good design you will get a double layer of movement like the Peoplemover/Astro Orbiter. When the Skyway existed it was 3 layers of movement. But that was truly an outlier, because "theme parks" in general are pretty light on kinetics in comparison to traditional amusement parks.

Nintendoland isn't double or an even triple layered movement, it's EVERYWHERE! Some people can find that kind of visual stimulus overwhelming. And even some regular people find it taxing and exhausting just because our brains are wired to constantly key into it. I know people who have that problem with Manhattan and Times Square in particular. There is also a large and vocal group of theme park fanatics that already think Universal, in general, is too loud and frenetic. It makes them nervous and stressed.

My personal opinion all along has been that it looks waaaaaay too busy. The design language of the games was actually quite bland and flat, obviously limited by the console.

I’m 100% open to being wrong or having others disagree though.

I'm more worried about everything breaking by Year 2. Hoping Nintendo has stipulations requiring constant maintenance, as I'd hate to see this go the way of New Tomorrowland.

I'm more worried about everything breaking by Year 2. Hoping Nintendo has stipulations requiring constant maintenance, as I'd hate to see this go the way of New Tomorrowland.

Considering Nintendo having a firm grasp on Universal so-far with SNW's quality from the start, and being directly invovled with the Illumination Mario project, I'm guessing they will have things in-place to make sure the effects work.

Considering Nintendo having a firm grasp on Universal so-far with SNW's quality from the start, and being directly invovled with the Illumination Mario project, I'm guessing they will have things in-place to make sure the effects work.
I would imagine all of the mechanical effects are built with standard fare hardware. So they should be cheap and easy to fix. The triggerable effects such as blocks you punch? We will see. You know some guy named Moose from the University of Alabama is going to give it all he can.

I think the human brain is a wonderful thing. Because of that I think all motion will meld into the created reality of the world. Take Jurassic Park, a lot of trees swaying in the wind. No one finds these movements of all those leaves distracting or problematic. They have their place in bringing this world alive. Where the trees made of plastic and static it would feel out of place.
I think the same will go for SNW. The theme is very homogeneous, above that it is on multiple levels. Sure the reveal will be purposefully overwhelming but as soon as you walk into the land your eyes will go to street level and you will only notice a smaller section of the land. The motion will be fitting to the theme and won't overpower. Above that this land has only one outside ride, a slow moving on.

It’ll open up in time for the Olympics. I have the feeling Universal is waiting for more of a guarantee that the Olympics will happen in 2021 as currently planned.

It's built now so I don't think they are waiting for confirmation on the olympics. I think it's pretty likely to be Covid and concerns about putting people into such a small but highly interactive land or even worse getting bad reviews for only partially opening.

My only concern is crapping my pants.

Is that related to SNW or just an issue you have day to day? ;)

I love how much energy the land has feels very unique and the opposite of what most see Star Wars land as (I know parts of it are alive but most of the land is detailed but not moving)

Also my god.....pleaseeee have a way to meet Koopa..I don't care if its a puppet or person in costume he's the number one character I want a pictures with (Bowser would be cool too)

It’ll open up in time for the Olympics. I have the feeling Universal is waiting for more of a guarantee that the Olympics will happen in 2021 as currently planned.

On the bright side, this actually may be good. As it could give Universal the chance to fine-tune the more advanced features, and to make the amount of times of it causing issues, to be minimal or non-existant.