Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

T-Rex Cafe

Sledge

VIP Member
Jun 20, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
For those that haven't heard, Landry's (Rainforest Cafe) is opening up a new dinosaur themed restaurant at Downtown Disney called the T-Rex Cafe.

I saw it the other day and it is coming along nicely (and quickly!). It's going in between Pleasure Island and Marketplace and is close to the McDonalds. The menu looks to be exactly like Rainforest Cafe but with prehistoric names. I'm not a big fan of the food at Rainforest, but I love the atmosphere. Maybe now Universal will host a Jekyll and Hyde Club, which in my opinion is the best of the themed restaurants that are out there.

Here is their link for anyone interested: http://www.trexcafe.com/
And here is a video showing their Kansas City location: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kbE107jgg

I'm intrested to see how this turns out. My only gripe is that it may be too similar to Rain Forest. The menu doesn't look that original but then again these type of places are all about the atmosphere.

I've been to 4 different Rain Forest's and I've never had a bad meal there. I read all these negative reviews on the DISBoards about it all the time. :confused:

Well come down here and try my local Rainforest.;)

The one though by the Animal Kingdom hasnt been bad everytime Ive visited. So Ill give that one a pass.

I've been to the one at Sawgrass plenty of times. I live 30 minutes away. Still never had a bad meal there. It's not the nicest one but hey, what do you except inside a mall?

I enjoy Rainforest....It's a fun resturant so I'm excited for the T-Rex resturant, it should be great fun!!

Side note....if Universal were to do a Jekyl and Hyde resturant it better be soooo bad assss...the one in New York City which I finally went to on my last bday was really boring and really not scary...the theming was pretty cool but it was missing something...I guess it would be the darkness and scariness

Side note....if Universal were to do a Jekyl and Hyde resturant it better be soooo bad assss...the one in New York City which I finally went to on my last bday was really boring and really not scary...the theming was pretty cool but it was missing something...I guess it would be the darkness and scariness
We had one in our mall and I loved it. My favorite was before you are seated you have to enter this room and spikes shoot out of the roof and lower down towards you. Everybody has to duck down and then the Crypt Keeper tells us we passed. I thought it was so cool. Does the NY one have that?

I like Rainforest Cafe strictly for the atmosphere, but every single time I've eaten there I've been disappointed. Actually that's a lie...I had a pizza once which wasn't half bad, but all the other times were just blah. I mean it wasn't yucky but it definitely wasn't worth the price. I'll try out the T-Rex place though.

You're paying for the atmosphere. The quality of the food isn't even up to par with your typical Chilis/Applebees/Friday's/etc. which is, of course, cheaper.

I'm really excited for the T-Rex, of course for the atmosphere, not the food. If you're looking for fine dining these theme joints aren't gonna have it! I have been to rainforest cafe here many times and in Vegas several and the food has always been alright, the prices though are really steep! For the money I spent for a family of four on lunch at rainforest I at least want one of the monkeys to hit me on the head or spit on the table ya know?

my rainforest cafe experiences have been good...but not great. i would still eat there...but i just thought it was always the management.

i have eaten at several joes crab shacks (owned by the same company) and love them! their lunch specials are yummy and since its right next to my work...even better!

LOOKS PRETTY FREAKING AWESOME

rainforest has a good atmoshpere service is bad though.

I have never ate at The Rainforest cafe in all of my trips to Orlando. I am not a fan of them restaurants. The food is over priced and it is no different then going to TGIF, Applebees and Chili's so why pay to?

If you want to eat a great meal in Orlando find Girdonnio's pizza I spelled it wrong but it is really good.

With restaurants like Rainforest and T-Rex I guess you're really paying for the experience and atmosphere...not so much the food. :shrug:

Yes atmopshere is whats being pumped in all these resturants.

The only place I have had awesome service and a great atmosphere combined is Hard Rock Cafe. I need to go back and try these again.

Rainforest does have an excellent atmosphere.